MIH 2016 - Danny vs Tony

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Danny to shoot, he needs all 3. Tony on the 1 hole.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Danny to shoot, he needs all 3. Tony on the 1 hole.

*I* wouldn't do this. But if I were Smith, I'd probably shave the 9-ball in, move the 10, and finish with a 3-railer on the 14.

I would bank the 9 with right english and go up to the top-right of the table.

pvclou

Verified Member
MIH 2016 - Danny vs Tony

It's very tough with the cue ball against the end rail. I would look at cross banking the 9 to my side, and swing the cue ball two rails to Tony's side uptable.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Don't know what Danny might do, but I'd have to kick away that stripe by Tony's hole. That wouldn't leave anything for Tony. His next project would be to get the other stripe sitting near the head rail pocket into bank position.

~Doc

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Don't know what Danny might do, but I'd have to kick away that stripe by Tony's hole. That wouldn't leave anything for Tony. His next project would be to get the other stripe sitting near the head rail pocket into bank position.

~Doc
I agree 100%

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
*I* wouldn't do this. But if I were Smith, I'd probably shave the 9-ball in, move the 10, and finish with a 3-railer on the 14.

I would also bank the 9 with right and come up 2 rails

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
It's very tough with the cue ball against the end rail. I would look at cross banking the 9 to my side, and swing the cue ball two rails to Tony's side uptable.

I would cross the 9 also but I wouldn't try to make it, just cross it over to the foot rail near my pocket or very low on my side rail while spinning the CB back up table as near his upper corner pocket as the hit and angle would allow with some RHE avoiding that side pocket scratch. As long as the 9 got to the foot rail mid -table or better, and the CB got up table past mid -table near the head rail then I think Tony would look elsewhere rather than trying to fan in the stripe near his pocket on the foot rail.

The soft kick behind the stripe looks like the easiest shot to execute, and playing against normal people it wouldn't be a bad choice, but against Tony, or any very good player, that 9 ball bank looks like low hanging fruit, it looks like a free shot at winning the game unless there's a kiss where their paths cross over by Tonys side pocket...

I'm with youse guys... DC Cory... PVC... Lou... & C. Kid...

Last edited:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Billy immediately said Danny might shoot here and the cut allowed the 10 to be taken out as well. I'm with everyone else, I don't shoot the cut shot here, too much risk and I'm unlikely to make it.

Danny made it however, and it did exactly what Billy predicted. Danny in the booth said the call on what to shoot and what would happen was as good as the shot itself and I agree. Great call on this Billy.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Yum, cookies! I got the champion shot and the regular player shot.

Billy immediately said Danny might shoot here and the cut allowed the 10 to be taken out as well. I'm with everyone else, I don't shoot the cut shot here, too much risk and I'm unlikely to make it.

Danny made it however, and it did exactly what Billy predicted. Danny in the booth said the call on what to shoot and what would happen was as good as the shot itself and I agree. Great call on this Billy.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Kamikaze pool at its finest!:D Smith must have felt sure that the CB would take out the 10 ball (?) if he missed the cut on the 9. Otherwise it's hard to believe that anyone would bet the game on that shot in a limited race.

Seems to me that a lot of the young turks play 1P like some of the younger guys do in poker: just shove all the chips into the center, and see what happens.

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Doc, this shot for an excellent ball striker plays well. The speed of the shot if hit well will send the cue ball into the side rail then either into the 10ball or missing the 10ball on the inside hitting the rail before the ball. If the shot is executed too thinly the cue ball will travel around the table to the top right quadrant of the table ending up in a safe position. This option fits nicely into Smiths arsenal, imo. Especially needing all three balls.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
MIH 2016 - Danny vs Tony

I don't know... choosing the shot that Danny or Tony would shoot could be argued as qualifying for the dunce cap for any human players. :D

Heh. I figured as much. I was in the stands almost yelling for him to shoot it 😜😂😁😁.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc, this shot for an excellent ball striker plays well. The speed of the shot if hit well will send the cue ball into the side rail then either into the 10ball or missing the 10ball on the inside hitting the rail before the ball. If the shot is executed too thinly the cue ball will travel around the table to the top right quadrant of the table ending up in a safe position. This option fits nicely into Smiths arsenal, imo. Especially needing all three balls. Dr. Bill
Yes, I'm sure that was Smith's thought process. BTW, check your PMs.

~Doc
Attendee of the
Super Senior Event:)

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Heh. I figured as much. I was in the stands almost yelling for him to shoot it ��������.

I don't know... choosing the shot that Danny or Tony would shoot could be argued as qualifying for the dunce cap for any human players. :D

1. John -- I gave a human shot too, crossing the 9.

2. Mitch -- I was going to say that you and John have 9-8 but I hear you're too good at catching big fish. So LSJohn gets 9-8 and I'll take the same from you!

I guess I'll wear the dunce cap...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Yeah, but I didn't quote that because it's too sensible and I wanted to give you some shit. (But if 9-8 is all that gets me I'll have to think of something else. :heh )

The main thing about my comment was reflecting my thinking that I'd never shoot Danny's shot here... I'd either hit it too thick, or miss it, or hit the 10 some way to leave a cross-corner about 80% of the time. I guess there's a chance that at the table it wouldn't look as difficult as it looks to me here, but for me, fuggedaboudit.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
MIH 2016 - Danny vs Tony

2. Mitch -- I was going to say that you and John have 9-8 but I hear you're too good at catching big fish. So LSJohn gets 9-8 and I'll take the same from you!

I guess I'll wear the dunce cap...

Word on the street is I need 9-7. But I'll accept 8-7 😇