Efren at Santa Monica - Played Magdy

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Wow - A pretty good match happened today at Santa Monica House Of Billiards.

Efren was giving Magdy 11-6 and when I got there they were even (1 set each) at race to 3. It seemed that Efren was a little off his game today but seriously, I watched Magdy make some pretty tough choices to play long banks when Efren had him stuck behind balls and no way to take out of his pocket. Magdy hit a long 7 ball bank and almost ran out the last game of the 3rd set, and after another 10 minutes of 'end game' Magdy came up one set ahead.

I believe Magdy ended up 2 sets ahead but Efren managed to find his game and set the score back to even. Tough, tough action for Efren at $200 a set. It was nice to get to Santa Monica again and I even got a little action playing Rob some 14.1.

Efren plays Jerry Matchin on Monday at Hard Times in the early afternoon. This should be a good match indeed. I will be in the front row watching. No stream on this one is scheduled, so I suggest you gas up and come down to Hard Times and sweat the action.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Wow - A pretty good match happened today at Santa Monica House Of Billiards.

Efren was giving Magdy 11-6 and when I got there they were even (1 set each) at race to 3. It seemed that Efren was a little off his game today but seriously, I watched Magdy make some pretty tough choices to play long banks when Efren had him stuck behind balls and no way to take out of his pocket. Magdy hit a long 7 ball bank and almost ran out the last game of the 3rd set, and after another 10 minutes of 'end game' Magdy came up one set ahead.

I believe Magdy ended up 2 sets ahead but Efren managed to find his game and set the score back to even. Tough, tough action for Efren at $200 a set. It was nice to get to Santa Monica again and I even got a little action playing Rob some 14.1.

Efren plays Jerry Matchin on Monday at Hard Times in the early afternoon. This should be a good match indeed. I will be in the front row watching. No stream on this one is scheduled, so I suggest you gas up and come down to Hard Times and sweat the action.

Is Jerry getting 10/7 and please stream it? I'll send you a donation

keoneyo

Verified Member
Magdy is one of our regulars and always a guy who strives to improve his game. In the past year he has found his stroke and has improved greatly. Jumping up from victim status to predator very admirably. Efren can no longer count on suitcase money here. He moved confidently and shot some very difficult shots putting Efren in a jam. Efren had to work hard to get to even.

Very proud of him and happy for the results of his hard and dedicated work.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Magdy is one of our regulars and always a guy who strives to improve his game. In the past year he has found his stroke and has improved greatly. Jumping up from victim status to predator very admirably. Efren can no longer count on suitcase money here. He moved confidently and shot some very difficult shots putting Efren in a jam. Efren had to work hard to get to even.

Very proud of him and happy for the results of his hard and dedicated work.

So what do I need from him now? We played even a few years ago and I snuck out winner. Not anymore it seems.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Is Jerry getting 10/7 and please stream it? I'll send you a donation

Someone back east put a bug in Efren's ear that I'm making money off streaming him, so now he's standing his ground, told his handlers not to let me record him until I make some sort of offer. I'm not going to be able to do it, since, frankly I DO NOT make much money on these videos via YouTube.

I don't get paid at the venue and our sponsors don't pay me for individual streams or events but for an annual delivery of content and for exposure on ALL our platforms (not just the live stream or YouTube).

It's frustrating because when a 'handler' calls me and says, "Efren want's more action at Hard Times" - I help to book it, I don't ask for a dime of what he wins, he gets to promote his sponsors (such as Hustlin) on a larger scale than PPV and he gets to warm up for bigger events in other parts of the country at virtually no risk. That said - Matchin is playing Efren today at 2pm - there will be no live stream, no recorded video and the event will go down in history like many other matches of the old school; undocumented.

Come to think of it; with all the warm up we sent him where's my jelly roll for the Accu-Stats event...LOL.

:frus:frus

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Someone back east put a bug in Efren's ear that I'm making money off streaming him, so now he's standing his ground, told his handlers not to let me record him until I make some sort of offer. I'm not going to be able to do it, since, frankly I DO NOT make much money on these videos via YouTube.

I don't get paid at the venue and our sponsors don't pay me for individual streams or events but for an annual delivery of content and for exposure on ALL our platforms (not just the live stream or YouTube).

It's frustrating because when a 'handler' calls me and says, "Efren want's more action at Hard Times" - I help to book it, I don't ask for a dime of what he wins, he gets to promote his sponsors (such as Hustlin) on a larger scale than PPV and he gets to warm up for bigger events in other parts of the country at virtually no risk. That said - Matchin is playing Efren today at 2pm - there will be no live stream, no recorded video and the event will go down in history like many other matches of the old school; undocumented.

Come to think of it; with all the warm up we sent him where's my jelly roll for the Accu-Stats event...LOL.

Does he understand that the money he gets from the matches you are setting him up are not going into his pocket now?

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Does he understand that the money he gets from the matches you are setting him up are not going into his pocket now?

Frankly, It wasn't a lot of money in the first place. We're talking about $100 matches and he's still able to get action but now it's not a bunch of fans getting in line to play him and he's got to rely on his handlers to set the matches up. At least POV had some promotional leverage to get the action started and to get people interested in the exhibition of it all. On the whole, I think streaming him is good for pool and trust me, if I could afford to post $500, $1000 exhibitions I would. Again, I think it comes down to players and handlers should capitalize on the exposure by finding their own sponsors who, will gladly pay them in product and cash to appear on free streams and at rooms around the country. Let the media or pool rooms set up the exhibitions and the handlers can take what Efren wins plus whatever percentage of sponsors they bring with them.

If they were hoping that every time Efren shows up at Hard Times, Bobby Emmons was just going to show up and drop $18,000 on the table they are mistaken. You have to be patient waiting for matches like that; those matches will come but they are always few and far between. In the meantime keep promoting pool, earn $500-700 per day in action, showcase your sponsors and put a few smiles on peoples faces.

I don't see how they lose and I win here.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Efren at Santa Monica - Played Magdy

Daniel if you could keep us posted on Jerry and Reyes match today, we would love it. You don't have to go crazy but any update is appreciated. Thanks man

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Daniel if you could keep us posted on Jerry and Reyes match today, we would love it. You don't have to go crazy but any update is appreciated. Thanks man

I will let you be the voice and I'll do it by text to you then you can update this forum because I won't have a computer with me.

Text me at 310-923-6639 with your name and number. I'm late and on my way there now.

u12armresl

Verified Member
Whoever did that Daniel is a total prick.

And forgive me for saying this, but Efren can't hide behind the me no English, or shrug his shoulders and say I have to do what they say.

If he wants to hold his ground, then don't steer anything his way, and keep streaming other people.
You always run a nice stream and quality commentary.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Jerry lost the first game needing three balls and had to slow roll a spot shot with the other two balls ready to go for him. Missed it then Efren banked it in for the win.

The second game went about the same with Jerry again missing the slow roll on the ball on the spot. It looks like Jerry lost on three consecutive fouls. Jerry looking good in the third game.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

that is really unfortunate. thank you for the time/effort/dedication and streams/youtube links. i hope you continue to stick with it and don't let things like this discourage you.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Efren wins game four. Too bad some Pos has deprived many here from watching this match. Efren is playing superb.
Sir Daniel at POV is one of the good guys. Too bad he's not streaming this.
Game five just started with Jerry hanging a ball in his pocket on the break.

keoneyo

Verified Member
In all fairness to Efren, the question is, Who owns the right's to the film once it has streamed. After all it is because of Efren that we are watching. Why should he not retain the rights to it or be compensated for it.

The reason sports figures earn such high figures is not because of game attendance but because of paid per view or ad revenue from commercials. Granted that there is no money in pool and that Daniel is doing a service but the issue is who owns the rights to that property.

This is why every time a song is played on the air the singer and songwriter gets a payment. Every actor or writer in a film, tv, internet, etc. gets some form of remuneration.
Who is to say that after Efren is gone someone doesn't compile a Efrens best games DVD. What does Efren get out of it? And that DVD can be sold for eternity.

This might be an act of love for streamers and they should be applauded for it. But it is Efren who spent all that hours honing his own craft. With his ability and uniqueness he has every right to covet his own intellectual and creative property.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm inclined to agree with Keone. Professionals are entitled to be compensated. The problem is that most everyone is used to getting stuff for free on account of YouTube and other sources. We've become spoiled.

I have friends in the music business who have stopped writing music because they say that everyone wants everything for free. That's fine for amateurs, but pros have to make a living.

Over my music career in some cases I've made hundreds of thousands of dollars for the artists and labels I've played for, and I haven't seen a penny of the residuals. So my attitude is, screw it I don't care who steals it. On the other hand I still get checks every year for some film scores I played on, e.g. The Big Lebowski.

At any rate perhaps POV and Efren and/or others could come to some kind of informal deal, like if they arrange matches for the player, the player gives a percentage. Or if video is produced then the player is entitled to X. Where there's a will, there's a way...

~Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
In all fairness to Efren, the question is, Who owns the right's to the film once it has streamed. After all it is because of Efren that we are watching. Why should he not retain the rights to it or be compensated for it.

The reason sports figures earn such high figures is not because of game attendance but because of paid per view or ad revenue from commercials. Granted that there is no money in pool and that Daniel is doing a service but the issue is who owns the rights to that property.

This is why every time a song is played on the air the singer and songwriter gets a payment. Every actor or writer in a film, tv, internet, etc. gets some form of remuneration.
Who is to say that after Efren is gone someone doesn't compile a Efrens best games DVD. What does Efren get out of it? And that DVD can be sold for eternity.

This might be an act of love for streamers and they should be applauded for it. But it is Efren who spent all that hours honing his own craft. With his ability and uniqueness he has every right to covet his own intellectual and creative property.

I agree completely with what you say but this is a horse of a different color. It is like going to a club to listen to music and the music is free. The musicians normally get paid but this is a local venue where the musicians play to practice and to pay back fans. This happened often in Marshall Ca where a lot of the best musicians in the world would drop in and play. The amounts of money are minimal for Efren, for POV, nothing but exposure. We need exposure in the pool world and if his "handlers" want Efren to make money, have him go to Japan and put on exhibitions. If these handlers want Efren to make money, set up challenge matches and let them put up some dough. As a streamer myself, I know there is no money in it. The travel cost alone is enough to break you. You dont see owners streaming because it cost them money they cant recoup.

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
that is really unfortunate. thank you for the time/effort/dedication and streams/youtube links. i hope you continue to stick with it and don't let things like this discourage you.

Sorry, to here Daniel.
This really sucks.
I would just say table time is free on the "tv" tables for pros or they pay time. Either way it will help the poolhall.
Have to stand up at some point the handlers are gonna say they wanna charge admission to your customers, to watch him "gamble",
witch is illegal btw, but on a tv table it is a tourney between two people
hell why stop there they should ask for a cut of the tourney/accustats money cause everybody that watches him etc etc

Last edited:

Hidy Ho

Verified Member
From
BKK/SFO
I'm inclined to agree with Keone. Professionals are entitled to be compensated.

In pool, how big is the pie?

I'd think it's like when I went to a famous restaurant in San Francisco and ordered an appetizer to share with my date. When it came, it was maybe literally just one bite size, too small to cut/share so I let her have it (hoping the good will would payback in something else afterward). She enjoyed it and I got screwed.

As far as I know, these things are streamed free on YouTube with no PPV revenue so what is there to share? I would think Daniel makes a bit on donation and ads on the streams which might be fair comp for his service and I wouldn't think it's all that much.