The New Breed

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
I'd be interested in knowing who is the best of the new breed and where they regularly play. Players such as Shannon Daulton, Cliff Joyner, John Schmidt, Richie Richeson,etc.,etc.
Who is/are the best in your area or that you've see play ?

hustlefinger

I’ve heard of a legend of sorts, in your neck of the woods. He traveled around in disguise a lot though, you probably wouldn’t recognize him, arm in a sling, eye patch, and sometimes using a walker. Drank a lot. Talked about fish a lot too. Think his name might have been Camper Chubby or something like that.

Although I’ve never seen him, I hope he’s doing all right.

Rick

RickW

From
A poolroom somewhere
I've been lucky, I've seen quite a few 1h players. Of course Efren is my favorite. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him play top competitors in 1h, I've watched him play some guy giving him 13 to 4 for a lot of beans. I would have loved to see him and Joiner play at DCC. I've also enjoyed seeing Nick Varner, Sonny Sambajon, Billy Palmer, Mark Haddad, Scott Frost and a bunch more play.

I'm in the Sacramento area and I think Tony Chohan was probably the best player here until Rafael Martinez decided to stay here (don't know how long).

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
since things are slow this was the first thread at 1p.org(i think) so now whats the answer
scott frost gabe owen and sylver ochoa???

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
lll said:
since things are slow this was the first thread at 1p.org(i think) so now whats the answer
scott frost gabe owen and sylver ochoa???

Good names. Watching and commentating on the match Shannon and Efren played at Galveston, I would have to include Shannon as one of the best one pocket players in the world. He got out of so many traps and played so well, I'm not sure that Scott can beat him, especially if he is fresh and ready to play.

There are many other great one pocket players that on any day could beat any of the other great one pocket players. It's hard to be the best EVERY DAY!

Long live the personna that Doug "Wiley" Winslow (SmorgassBored) created. He was a legend on AZBilliards, a friend to many and also my friend. Rest in peace, Tampa-Tubby-Bob.
JoeyA

mosconiac

Verified Member
Wow, this is neat...the first ever thread on 1P.org was by none other than Smorgass Bored? A nice coincidence.

senor

Verified Member
JoeyA said:
Good names. Watching and commentating on the match Shannon and Efren played at Galveston, I would have to include Shannon as one of the best one pocket players in the world. He got out of so many traps and played so well, I'm not sure that Scott can beat him, especially if he is fresh and ready to play.

There are many other great one pocket players that on any day could beat any of the other great one pocket players. It's hard to be the best EVERY DAY!

Long live the personna that Doug "Wiley" Winslow (SmorgassBored) created. He was a legend on AZBilliards, a friend to many and also my friend. Rest in peace, Tampa-Tubby-Bob.
JoeyA

First, props to SmorgassBored and RIP.

Second, unfortunately, I think a match between Shannon and Scott would only happen in a tourney. While Shannon may have matched up with Scott back in the day, I get the impression that Shannon is a little too careful nowadays to ever really match up with someone like Scott.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
senor said:

Second, unfortunately, I think a match between Shannon and Scott would only happen in a tourney. While Shannon may have matched up with Scott back in the day, I get the impression that Shannon is a little too careful nowadays to ever really match up with someone like Scott.
senor if it happened who do you like??

senor

Verified Member
lll said:
senor if it happened who do you like??

That's a question that I will take liberties with and answer a few different ways.

If they are both on top of their games and if they played on equipment that allowed Shannon to jack up and spear in long rail banks, I guess I wouldn't mind betting on either player.

On tough equipment I like Scott.

Both at their current level of skill I like Scott on any equipment. Shannon just doesn't play as much anymore, as far as I know.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
senor said:
That's a question that I will take liberties with and answer a few different ways.

If they are both on top of their games and if they played on equipment that allowed Shannon to jack up and spear in long rail banks, I guess I wouldn't mind betting on either player.

On tough equipment I like Scott.

Both at their current level of skill I like Scott on any equipment. Shannon just doesn't play as much anymore, as far as I know.

I agree with Senor. Shannon knows the game very well, and is still a very formidable opponent for anyone.
However, Shannon is past his prime, and Scott is very near (if not at) his best years.

I think, as far all around skills go...Scott was always just slightly the better player, at both their peaks. Shannon did peak somewhat younger than Scott, which is now,...really a moot point. ? JMHO

PS..Mosconiac...It was actually Smorgies 178th post on here...He loved his pool didn't he ? :)

Last edited:

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
senor said:

definate props to smorg. He's the one that got me quit lurking on the forums and start posting...he changed/saved my life forever and made me an az/op forum addict.

smorgs giving jesus the 7,
Grey Ghost

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
I agree with Senor. Shannon knows the game very well, and is still a very formidable opponent for anyone.
However, Shannon is past his prime, and Scott is very near (if not at) his best years.
Dick, Shannon is really not past his prime. He's only 38. But, like Senor, I believe that he just doesn't play as much --and certainly not at such a high level-- as he did prior to his activities with the Great Southern Pool Tour.

He lost to Efren in the finals at Galveston, but he had run over him pretty well in their winner's side match. He finished 6th in the DCC 1P, but he hadn't been playing much at all in 4-5 months.

Still, I believe Scott is the best playing one-pocket player today. Shannon would be an underdog in a longer set, even if he were in stroke.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SJDinPHX said:
PS..Mosconiac...It was actually Smorgies 178th post on here...He loved his pool didn't he ? :)
dick can you find the first post/thread on 1p.org??? his thread was the #1 i found