Another rules/etiquette question

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Ok, so you are playing 1p for 100 a game.

Your opponent scratches while leaving the ball close to the spot. When he spots the ball, he freezes it to the clue ball. (This is a foul, correct?)

Do you:

A. Tell him that he just fouled and owes another ball?
B. let him go?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Your opponent scratches while leaving the ball close to the spot. When he spots the ball, he freezes it to the clue ball. (This is a foul, correct?)

Do you:

B. let him go?

Just move it back, I don't think touching the CB spotting a ball is a foul.
If it's a problem spot them all yourself.
Rod.
P.S. I never spot one that's close myself. :) A lot of people think it's a foul so I never get at risk.
P.P.S I never know what the correct rule is anymore, they constantly change.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Do you:

B. let him go?

I think we must use some common sense in situations such as this.
First let's assume touching the cue ball while spotting an Object ball is a foul.

Here you are playing someone for a c-note a game and why are you are doing that? In all likelihood because you believe you either have the best of it or at least have an even game and wish to continue the play because you are enjoying the action. Do you really want to alienate your opponent with this petty foul business and potentially lose your action? Foul or not, let it go unless you want to develop a nit reputation! Nobody appreciates nitty behavior.

I used to play a few local players for $50 a game on the wire. I can't tell you how many games these guys cheated me out of by moving the coin back when they thought I wasn't looking. So what! These guys couldn't win anyway so I let them get way with all kinds of stuff. In the end I got all the money and they walked away thinking I was the sucker. Exactly what I wanted them to think and these same players came back time after time with their donations. Pick your battles and keep things in perspective.

Tom

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Great advice. Thanks for the confirmation. When this came up I chose option B for the reasons that you guys listed.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
You did the right thing. In a non-refereed game someone has to spot balls up.

Dennis

Thanks. I thought it was right but wasn't 100 sure. But now I am and am glad I did :).

Can't believe I played 9 ball for so many years before playing 1p. Always swore I'd never play it. Then I got hooked on 3 cushion for a year and about 2-3 years ago started with 1p. It is unquestionably (in my mind) the Greatest pool game!

Thanks a for the opinions. Helps a lot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
My opinion is that either player spotting a ball is acting in the capacity of the referee when they do that. You can't call a foul on the referee, right?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I think we must use some common sense in situations such as this.
First let's assume touching the cue ball while spotting an Object ball is a foul.

Here you are playing someone for a c-note a game and why are you are doing that? In all likelihood because you believe you either have the best of it or at least have an even game and wish to continue the play because you are enjoying the action. Do you really want to alienate your opponent with this petty foul business and potentially lose your action? Foul or not, let it go unless you want to develop a nit reputation! Nobody appreciates nitty behavior.

I used to play a few local players for $50 a game on the wire. I can't tell you how many games these guys cheated me out of by moving the coin back when they thought I wasn't looking. So what! These guys couldn't win anyway so I let them get way with all kinds of stuff. In the end I got all the money and they walked away thinking I was the sucker. Exactly what I wanted them to think and these same players came back time after time with their donations. Pick your battles and keep things in perspective.

Tom

You're right, if you have a game you really like, you have to accommodate them. I used to play a guy that was good action and once in a while I would find a good spot to go to the bathroom so that it gave him a chance to rearrange a ball or two. I played this guy weekly for about a year before he quit me.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
You're right, if you have a game you really like, you have to accommodate them. I used to play a guy that was good action and once in a while I would find a good spot to go to the bathroom so that it gave him a chance to rearrange a ball or two. I played this guy weekly for about a year before he quit me.

Wow. That is awesome. I just learned a great lesson. It makes perfect sense, big picture. Ha.

beatle

Verified Member
ive always got all the good action players. i never call cue ball fouls. such as double hits, pushes, bumping the cue ball while lining up the shot, etc.
if he moves a ball i just say put it back where you think it was. it also forces them to do the same and they like that.

i let them stick me with the last game and the time and never ask for it. and usually food if its there at the room.

i try to let them get the best of me on sports bets with the line in their favor for small amounts. ill lay 6 to 5 and flip a coin once with any gambler for 50 bucks or less. even up for most any amount. who doesnt want to play with someone like that.
the worst player in the house always seems to beat me when we play cheap for an hour or so. i make my games based on how i play him.

in every room there is good action and bad action. who gets the good action is the one they would rather to lose to.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Do you:

B. let him go?
It's not an actual foul. But the rule says that the ball must be placed as closely as possible to the CB without being frozen. If it's frozen, tell him to separate it a little. On the other hand in a private game, if it's advantageous to you, then you can keep your mouth shut...;)

It would not be a foul any more than in the case where two object balls were spotted, but the spotter neglected freeze them. You just simply try to get them frozen (tap the stick on the ball, whatever), but it's not a foul.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Do you:

B. let him go?

here is the rule from our rules
9. Spotting balls
9.1 Balls are to be spotted on the foot spot, or in a direct line below the foot spot, and tightly frozen to other object balls that fall in or interfere with that line. However if the cue ball interferes, the spotted ball is to be placed on that line close to, but not quite frozen to the cue ball. In the event that the line below the foot spot is full and the bottom rail interferes with a spotted ball then balls are to be spotted on the same line, but above the foot spot.

i for sure you are not supposed to freeze the ball to the cue ball
whether its a foul or not i couldnt find a ruling
how to handle the situation has already been answered

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
in case you arent aware
at the top of the page is a heading "playing the game"
if you put the arrow on that you get a list of headings
the second one down is "rules of the game"
click on that for the onepocket.org onepocket rules

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
in case you arent aware
at the top of the page is a heading "playing the game"
if you put the arrow on that you get a list of headings
the second one down is "rules of the game"
click on that for the onepocket.org onepocket rules

Good to know. Thanks.

In this case I learned a lot more than if I had just looked up the rule. Rules, combined with the experience of the folks here is even more valuable. But again, that is great to know.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Good to know. Thanks.

In this case I learned a lot more than if I had just looked up the rule. Rules, combined with the experience of the folks here is even more valuable. But again, that is great to know.

for sure thats true
fwiw
i found this rule regarding if its a foul
its not
6.7 It shall not be a foul to accidentally touch the cue ball while removing an object ball from an adjacent pocket, or when spotting a ball where the cue ball interferes. It shall be a foul for the incoming shooter to accidentally touch an object ball with the cue ball while placing it in a ball in hand situation i fould this rule on fouls

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Bucky Bell was the first one to tell me this in so many words. He said, "When you have a paying customer, don't ever disagree with him. You want to make it a fun thing to play you."