chicago is ghost country

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
well, made my biennial trip to chicago.....i wanted a strong test to see where my game is at after working on some things since DCC and i got it.

the "modest" spot was a fine teaser, but just wasn't enough for miller vs the specter.

about six or seven hours and 11 - 12 racks later, left a few benjamins in the possession of chris's finest. a few competitive games, but you just can't "outmove a ghost" :eek::)

i've made mention of this before on here, but if anyone who hasn't reached world beater speed wants to work on their game and in the chi-town vicinity, i highly recommend looking up the ghost. after playing, we worked on some things for a while. some things i can't/won't share, a couple of clever break escapes, a critique of my playing during the session including a bank that i now know that i routinely overlook and ghost even picked up on how i was stroking (incorrectly) my stop and short follow/finesse shots.

that neat little outdoor bar (in a unique little neighborhood that you only find the likes of in chicago) for dinner afterwards wasn't bad either....

thanks for the workout luke!

:)

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
well, made my biennial trip to chicago.....i wanted a strong test to see where my game is at after working on some things since DCC and i got it.

the "modest" spot was a fine teaser, but just wasn't enough for miller vs the specter.

about six or seven hours and 11 - 12 racks later, left a few benjamins in the possession of chris's finest. a few competitive games, but you just can't "outmove a ghost" :eek::)

i've made mention of this before on here, but if anyone who hasn't reached world beater speed wants to work on their game and in the chi-town vicinity, i highly recommend looking up the ghost. after playing, we worked on some things for a while. some things i can't/won't share, a couple of clever break escapes, a critique of my playing during the session including a bank that i now know that i routinely overlook and ghost even picked up on how i was stroking (incorrectly) my stop and short follow/finesse shots.

that neat little outdoor bar (in a unique little neighborhood that you only find the likes of in chicago) for dinner afterwards wasn't bad either....

Glad you enjoyed yourself in Chi-Town, most people do, win or loose. There's something for almost everyone there! :):):)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
That neat little outdoor bar (in a unique little neighborhood that you only find the likes of in chicago) for dinner afterwards wasn't bad either....

thanks for the workout luke! :)

Dustin old friend, no doubt, Chicago has some high quality food experiences..But for all out one pocket 'learnin', maybe you should have traveled to SACRAMENTO !...There are half a dozen guys there, who play BETTER than the guy who beat the best Chicago had to offer !.. ;) ;) ;) (plus, theres another dozen or so, top players in Southern Cal.)

PS..There are even some (ex) Chicagoan's, who think there was more action in SF, at the Palace, then there was at Cochran's !..(even though they've never been to either place)..This should tell you how uninformed, and dead WRONG they can be ! :lol :lol :lol

PPS..Of course, maybe they were talking about 3 cushion billiard [sic] action ! :cool:

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Dustin old friend, no doubt, Chicago has some quality food experiences..But for all out one pocket 'learnin', maybe you should have traveled to SACRAMENTO !...There are half a dozen guys there, who play BETTER than the guy who beat the best Chicago had to offer !.. ;) ;) ;) (plus, theres another dozen or so, top players in Southern Cal.)

PS..There are even some (ex) Chicagoan's, who think there was more action in SF, at the Palace, then there was at Cochran's ! ...This should tell you how uninformed, and dead WRONG they can be ! :lol :lol :lol

PPS..Of course, they may be talking about 3 cushion billiard [sic] action ! :cool:

ha!
:D
i know you like to bust bruce's balls.....BUT, i can guarantee that when it comes to the 'learnin' and ghost is showing/telling you something, there are no lack of rubberneckers (in a room full of guys who can play) who are trying to catch a whiff of what he is giving up. that's a fact....;)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Dustin old friend, for all out one pocket 'learnin', maybe you should have traveled to SACRAMENTO !...There are half a dozen guys there, who play better than the guy who beat the best Chicago had to offer !..

Still knocking as usual...even though lately, since Freddy passed, in a few threads you've been pretending to be a solid contributing member of the site.

First of all knocker...I'm not, "the best Chicago has to offer !" - that would be Gentile and Ike...

And secondly knocker...as far as excelling at teaching a sport..it's not about being amongst the top players in the world..it's about knowledge, and knowing how to teach and impart that knowledge (as in, just to name a few: Tony La Russa-baseball -- Phil Jackson-basketball -- Vince Lombardi-football)

And when it comes to One Pocket - no one is above me in extensive knowledge of the game, and knowing how to explain, teach, and impart that knowledge.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Still knocking as usual...even though lately, since Freddy passed, in a few threads you've been pretending to be a solid contributing member of the site.

First of all knocker...I'm not, "the best Chicago has to offer !" - that would be Gentile and Ike...

And secondly knocker...as far as excelling at teaching a sport..it's not about being amongst the top players in the world..it's about knowledge, and knowing how to teach and impart that knowledge (as in, just to name a few: Tony La Russa-baseball -- Phil Jackson-basketball -- Vince Lombardi-football)

And when it comes to One Pocket - no one is above me in extensive knowledge of the game, and knowing how to explain, teach, and impart that knowledge.

Bruce; They must not do much fishing in AZ. This guy was trolling for "Kingfish" and got "Lake Perch!" ;) ( You know what I mean Bruce), I'll bet he's hotter than AZ at high noon, where's Gary Cooper when you need him! :lol:lol:lol Remember the Frizz!

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Just because I happen to disagree with your constant "I know more than anyone" claims, does not make me a 'knocker' ! ..Nothing has changed since Fred passed...certainly not YOU !...I shall not 'ruffle your feathers' again..It is obvious
your rib/tolerance level, is right where its always been ! :sorry

Sayanora Bruce (and company)

PS..Even if I could make the SLIGHTEST bit of sense, out of post #6...I would not bother responding to it !

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
chicago is ghost country

This sounds like a great time, Dustin. I would love to head out to Chicago for a session/etc. Chances of that happening are so slim though.

Let me know if you are ever getting down to the Philly area again so I can soak some of that new knowledge from ya :).

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I was in Chicago a few weeks back and went to Chris's. The action was a little slim so I sent a text to the Ghost but didn't hear back. I did finally get some action, but unfortunately work is killing my pool game.

The next day Tom Kababotsos walk in in, but he wouldn't play me 1P so I donated playing 10 ball. Lots of nice people in Chris's.

PS to SJD, I've been shooting three rails around the rack with follow for over 30 years.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
PS to SJD, I've been shooting three rails around the rack with follow for over 30 years.

Then you have been playing for 30 yrs., on a table with one very live rail, (the first one) and two VERY dead ones !.. Are you sure you understand the rules, Tom ?... I guess I forgot to mention, you place a ball, two diamonds below the side pocket, on each side, and you must get your 3 rails inside those balls..It CANNOT be done with high (or rolling) english...It is easy to do, starting from down by the side pocket..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
...if anyone who hasn't reached world beater speed wants to work on their game and in the chi-town vicinity, i highly recommend looking up the ghost.
I'll second this. I've spent many hours contributing to Ghost's retirement fund, and have learned a ton in the process. He has a real gift (and passion) for understanding and teaching the game of one pocket.

pj <- still can't hit a barn from the inside
chgo

u12armresl

Verified Member
Why do you constantly stir up trouble?

The guy posted a positive time he had in Chicago, and you have to cause problems.

It gets old really fast.

Oh and I clicked on the thread knowing it was about Bruce, trying to read more about how Miller did, not to hear you spout off and derail the thread AGAIN....

Dustin old friend, no doubt, Chicago has some high quality food experiences..But for all out one pocket 'learnin', maybe you should have traveled to SACRAMENTO !...There are half a dozen guys there, who play BETTER than the guy who beat the best Chicago had to offer !.. ;) ;) ;) (plus, theres another dozen or so, top players in Southern Cal.)

PS..There are even some (ex) Chicagoan's, who think there was more action in SF, at the Palace, then there was at Cochran's !..(even though they've never been to either place)..This should tell you how uninformed, and dead WRONG they can be ! :lol :lol :lol

PPS..Of course, maybe they were talking about 3 cushion billiard [sic] action ! :cool:

u12armresl

Verified Member
Hey,

I know we PM'd about this, and while I know you play better than I do (which may limit your games) I think you might have done better for action at Red Shoes. I know when I go in there John starts to tear up thinking that he will eat steak that night. :)

I was in Chicago a few weeks back and went to Chris's. The action was a little slim so I sent a text to the Ghost but didn't hear back. I did finally get some action, but unfortunately work is killing my pool game.

The next day Tom Kababotsos walk in in, but he wouldn't play me 1P so I donated playing 10 ball. Lots of nice people in Chris's.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hey,

I know we PM'd about this, and while I know you play better than I do (which may limit your games) I think you might have done better for action at Red Shoes. I know when I go in there John starts to tear up thinking that he will eat steak that night. :)

I was in Palwalkee and Chris's is so much closer. I actually ran into a guy from New Orleans that recently moved to Chicago. There is more action at Reds but the traffic is such a killer

Bruce saved me a bunch of money

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

I'll second this. I've spent many hours contributing to Ghost's retirement fund, and have learned a ton in the process. He has a real gift (and passion) for understanding and teaching the game of one pocket.

pj <- still can't hit a barn from the inside
chgo

Bros, thanks for the props...

And yeah, re. you guys mentioning my passion for the game...I doubt that there's anybody who loves and reveres the game of One Pocket as much as I do.

- Ghost

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Bros, thanks for the props...

And yeah, re. you guys mentioning my passion for the game...I doubt that there's anybody who loves and reveres the game of One Pocket as much as I do.

- Ghost

Hi Bruce, Tom Wirth loves the game as much as anybody on this site. He loves teaching also,Thanks to both of you for having patience to teach one pocket to the new guys trying to learn the game. Remember patience is a VIRTUE. Thanks Again FastEddieF.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Hi Bruce, Tom Wirth loves the game as much as anybody on this site. He loves teaching also,Thanks to both of you for having patience to teach one pocket to the new guys trying to learn the game. Remember patience is a VIRTUE. Thanks Again FastEddieF.

To quote Archie Bunker "Patience is a virgin" :)
Rod.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Jim....sorry, I don't text..didn't know you sent me one...if you would have called me or pm'ed me here on onepocket.org, I would have met up with you - do that next time you're coming to town (unless of course, you're ducking me ;))

- Ghost

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Jim....sorry, I don't text..didn't know you sent me one...if you would have called me or pm'ed me here on onepocket.org, I would have met up with you - do that next time you're coming to town (unless of course, you're ducking me ;))

- Ghost

Old school all the way, eh