The Best One Pocket Kickers

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Since I've been talking/advising about the importance of kicking in One Pocket so much lately...here's my short list of the top four kickers in One Pocket ----->

#1. Efren Reyes (no surprise there :))

#2. I have a three-way tie for second place: Corey Duell - Cliff - Rafael.

- Ghost

PS, Hey Dr. Billy...while commentating, you've seen all the top players play quite a lot...do you agree with my list, and/or who else would you add?

PPS, Or anybody else with an opinion.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Since I've been talking/advising about the importance of kicking in One Pocket so much lately...here's my short list of the top four kickers in One Pocket ----->

- Ghost

PS, Hey Dr. Billy...while commentating, you've seen all the top players play quite a lot...do you agree with my list, and/or who else would you add?

I would have said Alex was in that class.

Wasn't Steve Cook a superior kicker?

akrick

Verified Member
Kicking

Kicking

I always liked the way Ronnie kicked. He was very creative and kicked a good percentage of balls not just close but in the hole.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

- Ghost

I think that your homie, Ike, is a helluva kicker. However you may be referring to advanced kicking, e.g. kicking multiple rails, kicking an OB to the hole, etc.

In the past, my favorite player to watch with oddball kicking systems, and his excellence at them, was Grady. He was a unique guy!

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
For a "stumble bum" player, I don't kick too bad, when needed. ;)

Of course, all strong 3-cushion players are excellent kickers - i.e. along with Efren and Rafael that were on my list, excellent 3-cushion player Marco Marquez is a top notch kicker also.

- Ghost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I think that your homie, Ike, is a helluva kicker. However you may be referring to advanced kicking, e.g. kicking multiple rails, kicking an OB to the hole, etc.

In the past, my favorite player to watch with oddball kicking systems, and his excellence at them, was Grady. He was a unique guy!

~Doc

I was referring to all types of kicks...

I also made my list of only current players...for our passed on players, Grady would for sure be near the top.

- Ghost

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Well, it wasn't one pocket, but this is one of the most impressive kicks I've ever seen. It's not a super-common kick line, the contact point was perfect, and the speed was perfect. And very little dilly-dallying, either: 28 seconds from chair to perfect shot.

One guess at who shot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_blb8UWlH0#t=1425 (I linked directly to the video starting at the shot that leads to the kick, so you have to watch for about 20 seconds.)

Cory

P.S. I don't know what system, if any, the shooter uses. But it stands out to me that the contact point on the kick was essentially the exact diagonal mirror image of where the CB was headed after hitting 2 rails.

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Grady was a knowledgeable and effective kicker. Scott Frost kicks well. Shannon is a good kicker. Oh, almost forgot the second best kicker under Efren - Francisco Bustamante.

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Well, it wasn't one pocket, but this is one of the most impressive kicks I've ever seen. It's not a super-common kick line, the contact point was perfect, and the speed was perfect. And very little dilly-dallying, either: 28 seconds from chair to perfect shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_blb8UWlH0#t=1425 (I linked directly to the video starting at the shot that leads to the kick, so you have to watch for about 20 seconds.)

Cory

Could Boyes be any more anal?

bigshot

Efren is an animal unto himself, we've all seen him fire at the rail with a ton off holdup and curve it off the rail at a million miles an hour and get a good hit. Its not that other players don't know that it can be done, either. He's just willing to do it in a tournament.
:lol

Darren kicks great, I once saw him miss a kick in an ultimate 10 ball match. It was a silly kick but I was still shocked. He makes the ball more often than not, but he's still not really a one pocket player.

Corey kicks great, but...

hmm. Larry Nevel. 'nuff said. :)

Cory in dc

Verified Member
One more for the kick fans (from a recent AZB thread): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHygkyOa3Ls#t=49 (starts about 30 seconds before the kick).

Even I know the system for this one, but this one really went through a ton of traffic! And nicking the 4th rail, which I think was on purpose, took a perfect adjustment.

Cory

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Cory

P.S. I don't know what system, if any, the shooter uses. But it stands out to me that the contact point on the kick was essentially the exact diagonal mirror image of where the CB was headed after hitting 2 rails.

Obviously he was playing just that, based on the speed he used. Wow!!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Cory

First of all, the leave that Efren's opponent got from his safety shot which preceded Efren's 2 rail kick was pretty lucky-- rolling up on the 8-ball.

And Efren's kick was very well played. However IMO he was not trying to pick out the edge of the 5-ball so that the CB rolled behind the 9. He'd have to have been aiming at a 1/4" width of the ball, with two rails and 10 feet of cloth in the way.:D He was simply trying to hit the 5-ball softly, realizing that the opponent would then probably not have a good shot. You can see how Efren was "steering" the CB, just to make sure that it even hit the 5-ball.

BTW the opponent's reply to Efren's safety was very ill-advised. He should have hard-swerved/masse'd the CB off the long rail back into the 5, and taken his chances. Or something else. You can NEVER give Efren ball in hand...:eek:

~Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
First of all, the leave that Efren's opponent got from his safety shot which preceded Efren's 2 rail kick was pretty lucky-- rolling up on the 8-ball.

And Efren's kick was very well played. However IMO he was not trying to pick out the edge of the 5-ball so that the CB rolled behind the 9. He'd have to have been aiming at a 1/4" width of the ball, with two rails and 10 feet of cloth in the way.:D He was simply trying to hit the 5-ball softly, realizing that the opponent would then probably not have a good shot. You can see how Efren was "steering" the CB, just to make sure that it even hit the 5-ball.

BTW the opponent's reply to Efren's safety was very ill-advised. He should have hard-swerved/masse'd the CB off the long rail back into the 5, and taken his chances. Or something else. You can NEVER give Efren ball in hand...:eek:

~Doc

Very, Very astute observation Doc! The price on the results coming out the way they did after Efren's shot, are OFF the charts! ;)

Cory in dc

Verified Member

~Doc

Maybe I'm just a super-fan, but I think that if you're just going for a hit, then you hit it harder than Efren did. First, to create separation, and second, so that you get a rail even if you go underneath it. Hitting the 5 soft but not getting safe isn't that good--if Boyes can can see the five with the CB up close, then Efren's very likely to end up safed again.

Again, the speed is the tell: at that speed, I believe Efren intended the shot to go exactly as it did. Also, note the mirror-image aspect that I noted: if there's a good system here and you're the greatest kicker in the world, why not aim at a target .5" wide?

But perhaps he "got lucky"?

We agree 100% on Boyes' bad response.

Cory

bigshot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYeTegTx6Nw#t=310

shannon makes a decent kick, then larry makes a larry kick. ('larry' is an adjective now :lol )

^^I think Efren played that shot or something like it. He was just spinning out two rails a bit, there's no reason he would need to just hope for a good hit. Either way, that kick by Efren was really larry.