A Ball Running Choice

beatle

Verified Member
but you referenced the wei table to me for my post.

it doesnt make sense to me what you are referring to, as to how it applies to my post.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
beatle said:
i know i am dense at times. but what are you talking about.
this is one pocket not straight pool. your diagram is for that.

or am i being leveled here?

or is it some kind of showing that you may not get across enough for the one playing the eight first and then relaying it to straight pool.

i must be dense, or dick is right about you. and i cant believe that could be accurate.
beatle dennis is just being his sarcastic , needling self to the ghost:eek:
dont know what level sts this is :confused: doc can you help:rolleyes:
i think hes trying to tell us 4- 1 -8
icbw but i dont think so:D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Williebetmore said:
Ghost,
I'm thinking it depends on the pocket size and skill of the shooter (and maybe how much straight pool they play).

Despite the sentiment, I would take 4-8-1 all day long (at least I'll have a game since people won't quit me).

I need all the balls, and 4 to 8 is the most natural. If I can't make the 8 (with a less than 45 degree angle), I don't deserve to win, and shouldn't be gambling anyway. If I happen to get too straight on the 8, just follow down and bank the 1 - at least I've got 2 balls down and am shooting at game ball. Any moderate angle on the 8 gives almost automatic position on the one - borderline angles still have possibilities.

If I try to go 4-1-8 and miss position on the 1, its a scramble and I still need 2 balls.

Efren gets position on anything he wants, but 4-8-1 is the highest yield for a straight pool player (the more "natural" cue ball movement) - by far.

P.S. - if my backer forced me, I would still make a good try at 4-1-8; but damn you need to get good on the one.
Exactly right, WBM, for all the reasons you stated. If a player makes the 4, and doesn't scratch, it would be real difficult for him NOT to get out; or at least to get a good shot on the 1 ball for the game.

The shape from the 4 to the 1 is real easy to foul up, and cause greater difficulty with getting to a good shot on the 8. However, that shot is probably the favorite for 9-ball players.

Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
Ah Dennis, you make it all worthwhile. A tip of my hat to you.:p :D :)
Rod.
Just when I was starting to think that those nasty AZers might actually have a chance over here, you come through, as usual:) .

RBL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
beatle dennis is just being his sarcastic , needling self to the ghost:eek:
dont know what level sts this is :confused: doc can you help:rolleyes:
i think hes trying to tell us 4- 1 -8
icbw but i dont think so:D
Larry,

You know me too well, I shall have you whacked:eek: . I was just agreeing with Mr. Bill.

wincardona said:
Pleeeeeeez

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
beatle said:
but you referenced the wei table to me for my post.

it doesnt make sense to me what you are referring to, as to how it applies to my post.
beatle,

If it needs to be explained it's not as funny;) .

Dennis

timdog24

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Well then...looks like it's me, Doc, and Williebetmore, against the Mongol hordes...:eek: :D :p :cool:

- Ghosty

And if any of us should happen to match up at the Derby, I promise to never quit you guys:D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Finally!...

Thanks Don...it figures that it took a straight pool player to fully understand this position-play situation/choice..;)...

And especially if the pockets are tight or a little tight, say 4" - 4-1/4"...in that case, shooting the 4ball with a 1/2 tip of inside english makes the 4 much more makeable than hitting it with low left spin - much easier to rattle it and miss it that way.

Besides...I am such a wuss, and I would be really scared to play the shot the correct way. (like all the good players would)...:eek:

- Ghost

PS, Hey Don...I'd be curious to hear what Danny-D. would say - if you talk to him, ask him.

Ghro$t,

It is heartwarming to know, that Nancy Pelosi is just barely more conservative than you are...I'm sure she would play the shot the same as you..:eek:

Duckinator <---would rather miss the damn ball, than shoot at it like a scaredy cat-wimp...:cool:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Ghro$t,

It is heartwarming to know, that Nancy Pelosi is just barely more conservative than you are...I'm sure she would play the shot the same as you..:eek:

Duckinator <---would rather miss the damn ball, than shoot at it like a scaredy cat wimp...:cool:
It took you 30 minutes to write that??????????????????????????????????

How many "edits" will you need before it's complete??????????????????????????????????????????????

Williebetmore

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Don...I'd be curious to hear what Danny-D. would say - if you talk to him, ask him.
OPG,
He will be here in a week, I'll set it up for him and ask.

I have spent an awful lot of time with Danny (straight pool and one pocket), and I pick all my patterns in both games according to the principle of WWDD (What Would Danny Do). While I am not a high roller, I would completely empty out on Danny picking 4-8-1.

Danny spent a lifetime on learning the difference in just the type of patterns you show - you could get out either way, but if one way is a few percentage points "safer" or "better" then over 60 years on the road it makes a difference to him in terms of cash. He would see the lower risk option as "right" and the higher risk option as "wrong"; even if they are very close.

Some of his "principles" that apply here: Anything requiring natural cue ball roll is better than forcing it; anything forward is better than backward; and having a shot at game ball is ALWAYS the nuts even if its a bank. If you try 4-1-8 and come up short on the 1 or too far on the 1, you will need to play safe and there will be 2 balls left, of which your opponent only needs 1.

(he will often play a safer next to last shot and just take a bank at game ball instead of risking missing the next to last ball just to make the game ball easier - he will point out such decisions several balls ahead, and will do such sequences quite often even when the last ball he can bank isn't for the game - he HATES to miss with the table open at straight pool or one pocket.)

P.S. - I'll post after he visits...I could be wrong...it's happened before...but I do know I wouldn't have to think about the sequence more than a few seconds, I'm committed to "the principles".
P.P.S. - Even a very small difference in the position of the 4 ball make a big difference in success rate (the closer the rail and the closer to our pocket the more proper becomes the choice of 4-8-1).

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Verified Member
Here is the George Breedlove method for deciding which way is "better" for the individual player: Shoot it 10 times 4-1-8, then shoot it 10 times 4-8-1. You will not need anyone's "opinion" on which is better for you, it is usually completely obvious after a few tries, 10 each is usually MORE than enough.

This method is foolproof - in that it will quickly reveal your limitations.

P.S. - I have no idea what Billy I. meant by "pleeeez"....his opinion would carry some weight.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Williebetmore said:
OPG,
He will be here in a week, I'll set it up for him and ask.

I have spent an awful lot of time with Danny (straight pool and one pocket), and I pick all my patterns in both games according to the principle of WWDD (What Would Danny Do). While I am not a high roller, I would completely empty out on Danny picking 4-8-1.

Danny spent a lifetime on learning the difference in just the type of patterns you show - you could get out either way, but if one way is a few percentage points "safer" or "better" then over 60 years on the road it makes a difference to him in terms of cash. He would see the lower risk option as "right" and the higher risk option as "wrong"; even if they are very close.

Anything requiring natural cue ball roll is better than forcing it; anything forward is better than backward; and having a shot at game ball is ALWAYS the nuts even if its a bank. If you try 4-1-8 and come up short on the 1 or too far on the 1, you will need to play safe and there will be 2 balls left, of which your opponent only needs 1.

(he will often play a safer next to last shot and just take a bank at game ball instead of risking missing the next to last ball just to make the game ball easier - he will point out such decisions several balls ahead, and will do such sequences quite often even when the last ball he can bank isn't for the game - he HATES to miss with the table open at straight pool or one pocket.)

P.S. - I'll post after he visits...I could be wrong...it's happened before...but I do know I wouldn't have to think about the sequence more than a few seconds, I'm committed to "the principles".
P.P.S. - Even a very small difference in the position of the 4 ball make a big difference in success rate (the closer the rail and the closer to our pocket the more proper becomes the choice of 4-8-1).

Don.....It's quite clear that we are wasting our time discussing higher-thinking in ball pocketing percentages, strategy, and optimum position play with certain, primitive thinking, ex-9ball playing, converts to One Pocket, that are dragging their knuckles along the virtual ground here right now..:eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

- Gho$t

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Williebetmore said:
Here is the George Breedlove method for deciding which way is "better" for the individual player: Shoot it 10 times 4-1-8, then shoot it 10 times 4-8-1. You will not need anyone's "opinion" on which is better for you, it is usually completely obvious after a few tries, 10 each is usually MORE than enough.

P.S. - I have no idea what Billy I. meant by "pleeeez"....his opinion would carry some weight.

He meant the 4-8-1 was probably a joke.;)
Rod.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Williebetmore said:

I think "pleeeez" meant forget the 4-8-1

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Williebetmore said:
P.S. - I have no idea what Billy I. meant by "pleeeez"

Don....Let me interpret that for you...what that [always] means is..."if the Ghost says black, then I say white"...;)..:eek:..:D

- Ghosty<-------- Just trying to keep my STS level high...:D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
Don....Let me interpret that for you...what that [always] means is..."if the Ghost says black, then I say white"...;)..:eek:.
Hey, that's not fair, I agreed with you:) :D:p .

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AFJP3DEfc2HYps4POxT3Qchs4kOxT4kOxT@4AFJP3DEfc2HYps4POxT3Qchs3XEfc3Xchr4kOxT3kCKa3kDQl2kRyO@4AFJP3Dchr2HYps2PRyO3Qchs@4AFJP3Dchr2HYps2PRyO3Qchs2cYps3cbbu2kRyO2kYiK2kaoD1kCtd@4AFJP3Dchr3Hbbu1PCtd3Qchs@4AFJP4BAMA4CEMO3DBKO4EBal3FDvO3GBJl4HCpe3ICpe3JFSe4KAEe4LFbe4MCpA4NBjO3OCYA1PCtd3rTECTHIS_IS_CLEARLY_YOUR_BEST_CHANCE_TO_RUN_150_AND_OUT.&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
He meant the 4-8-1 was probably a joke.;)
Rod.

Wrong Rod...(insert STS here)...He meant it was absolutely, for sure, a bad joke. Also Don, the Ghrost's black/white analogy was of a little off...When he
says "stupid".....Billy says "smart"...:rolleyes: (imagine that)

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Don....Let me interpret that for you...what that [always] means is..."if the Ghost says black, then I say white"...;)..:eek:..:D

- Ghosty<-------- Just trying to keep my STS level high...:D
If you think that the 4-8-1 is is a matter of preference, then you need 8/6 at least from SJD.

And when you say white, i'll only say black when your wrong, Bruce.

Billy I.