Seeing through the eyes of others

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
I found a thread on AZ last week that I just finished today about the Rack in Detroit. That thread led me to buy Jay Helfert's book (only one that Barnes & Noble had for their e-reader platform - didn't want to wait to have it shipped) and I finished it in a day. I'm now wending my way through Confessions of a Pool Hustler by Cotton Leblanc.

I had previously read Kid Delicious' book which was full of stories about people from my generation - Kid is a few years younger than I am. But this is a glimpse of an America that I never knew - and never will. I envy all of you on this site who grew into this game with the legends of our sport.

I bounced around Youtube for a couple hours the other night watching interviews with the Beard, and even found a trailer for Road Scholars, but couldn't find anywhere to purchase it. In any event, thank you to all who have posted their stories either here, on AZ, or in the journals section. I stop by every day and feel like I'm seeing friends once removed that I rarely get to visit in person.

John

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I hope you've looked on the hall of fame page here and searched around for old threads, there's some good stuff on here...some of it's even true! :eek:

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
Your eyes are some of the ones I've been looking through. :) I'm in the 4th or 5th one I've stumbled across. I've started just searching key words and then strolling through the years. 2004 to now is giving me a lot of fun reading.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Seeing through the eyes of others

Your eyes are some of the ones I've been looking through. :) I'm in the 4th or 5th one I've stumbled across. I've started just searching key words and then strolling through the years. 2004 to now is giving me a lot of fun reading.

Hey feel free to bump up those threads if you think they deserve to be seen by newer guys (myself included :) )

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
I'll find it tomorrow Mitch and bump it - someone pulled it from there & put it on here - Steve might be able to find it easier - he had several of the posts/stories on the AZ side.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I found a thread on AZ last week that I just finished today about the Rack in Detroit. That thread led me to buy Jay Helfert's book (only one that Barnes & Noble had for their e-reader platform - didn't want to wait to have it shipped) and I finished it in a day. I'm now wending my way through Confessions of a Pool Hustler by Cotton Leblanc.

I had previously read Kid Delicious' book which was full of stories about people from my generation - Kid is a few years younger than I am. But this is a glimpse of an America that I never knew - and never will. I envy all of you on this site who grew into this game with the legends of our sport.

I bounced around Youtube for a couple hours the other night watching interviews with the Beard, and even found a trailer for Road Scholars, but couldn't find anywhere to purchase it. In any event, thank you to all who have posted their stories either here, on AZ, or in the journals section. I stop by every day and feel like I'm seeing friends once removed that I rarely get to visit in person.

John

jl.......nice perspective.

Another perspective after 56 years of play.

It taught me to appreciate what a Rounder truly was, and gave me a perspective of what life was going to be like growing up. It was a condensed version of those you'll meet somewhere else....Pool..............is on a well lit table where you can ''hear,see', feel and smell'' whats before you. For every personality that you meet in the pool room, there will also be another similar persona' that will cross your path, enableing you to ''see it before it's coming'' which is helpful. A great talent to acquire. It's exactly the same in your day to day or working life, but in work/not sport, most often your coworkers are able to hide their motivation, by being not too obvious. BUT.......when ya lay your palm on the green felt, and address that cue ball, your exposed in more wayzzzzzzzzzzzz than a million.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

John

That's a very nice post, John.