Why was John Brumback barred from tournament?

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
They had a bank tournament at Michael's in Cincinnati this past week-end and I heard that John Brumback was barred from entering.

Anyone know if this was true and if so...why?

I know Truman gets a little hot about "Tickle" sometimes but this doesn't make much sense. It would be like Greg Sullivan wanting to bar Efren from the one pocket tournaments early on in the DCC.

Last edited:

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
There are a lot of people asking the same question Steve. I know of people who asked the question in person at the tournament and did not get an answer.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Once an american pool player starts playing real good, the local nanninism gets its way. ''Known Ability'' as its called. Whats worse, when your 65 ya still have to give wt. to players you can't play even anymore. When your game does go downhill they will not return the favor but will gladly take your entry fees.:rolleyes:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I could never stand this stuff. I mean it just makes my stomach turn, always has. It is almost like they are saying the point of the sport is not to play well. It is really a disgusting sentiment the more you think about it. It happens even worse at local levels of course. This is all assuming he did get barred, which I personally have no idea if that is true or not.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I would love to see some analogous real world scenarios: you can't open a business because you are too smart.... you can't be a model here because you are too pretty. Crazy, right? Somehow, we really manage to screw ourselves.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I would love to see some analogous real world scenarios: you can't open a business because you are too smart.... you can't be a model here because you are too pretty. Crazy, right? Somehow, we really manage to screw ourselves.

TD,

Nobody has yet given the reason for JB being barred from playing so I'm going to address your post assuming that the tourney was limited to non-pros.

Look at it from this point of view; If the players who put up their entry fees wanted the tourney limited to non-pros then they have that right. If pros were allowed to enter then all the non-pros could just withdraw and there'd be no tournament at all. Who does that help?

All tournaments in the world in all sports are not always "open" to all.

Dennis

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Well I found out what the problem was but I'm not going to state it here, sorry.

It wan't a non-pro tournament, just something that needs to be worked out over time...or over some first run shine. :D

John Brumback

Verified Member
I was not going to bring this up but now I have to.Good job Steve:eek::lol

Truman and I....We have been friends forever.Hell we just went togther to Red shoes not to long ago.And hung out and drank beers at SD's tourney in Cincy,oh.not long ago.I even gave him one of my dvds signed for a keep sake,lol
Well we are at the TSC and I'm playin in the bank ring game,Well it got down to about 3 players maybe two and I mentioned something along the lines of playin safe when it go down to two players.Well he goes off and tells me loud "not by god in my ring game your not" !! I said we always have and it's not a ring game anymore cause there's just two players left.I thought a ring game was more than two players,I said.I can't even remember after that I was so mad then he told me to quit stallin and didn't want to let me take a break and I took one anyway then when I get back he says that I'm not playin in anymore of HIS ringames or tourneys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just water under the bridge to me.I wish we could be friends again even if I can't or don't play in his tourneys. John "the rest of the story" B.:lol

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ok, I'll admit my ignorance. What exactly does that mean and why would anyone object?
Normally in ring games every player is supposed to always try their shot -- not play a safety. The idea being that the safeties just stall the game and the player that plays the safety is not going to benefit anyway because there are more than two players in a ring game -- like John says, that's what makes it a ring game. What I have seen over the years, even when there are no safeties allowed and you have to "shoot to hit" there little subtleties to how you can choose and execute your shots so as not to make the other players made at you because you are leaving such easy shots for the player that follows you (this is aside from the immediate next player who follows you, who doesn't like it if you sneakilly try to leave a little tough at least, lol).

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Truman and I....We have been friends forever.Hell we just went togther to Red shoes not to long ago.And hung out and drank beers at SD's tourney in Cincy,oh.not long ago.I even gave him one of my dvds signed for a keep sake,lol
Well we are at the TSC and I'm playin in the bank ring game,Well it got down to about 3 players maybe two and I mentioned something along the lines of playin safe when it go down to two players.Well he goes off and tells me loud "not by god in my ring game your not" !! I said we always have and it's not a ring game anymore cause there's just two players left.I thought a ring game was more than two players,I said.I can't even remember after that I was so mad then he told me to quit stallin and didn't want to let me take a break and I took one anyway then when I get back he says that I'm not playin in anymore of HIS ringames or tourneys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just water under the bridge to me.I wish we could be friends again even if I can't or don't play in his tourneys. John "the rest of the story" B.:lol

John,

The Bank Ring Game took 4 hours & 2 DVD's to conclude. Pat Fleming fast-forwarded through many of your preshot routines to make it shorter and I also fast-forward through your shots as well since I can't take the constant BS. Do you think that your OCD's may be in part to blame for anybody not wanting you in a Bank Pool tournament? In one sequence alone you took a full minute to shoot a Mickey-Mouse, Cross-Side bank (obviously the only shot available) that Helen Keller would've shot in 15 seconds. You actually handled all four pieces of chalk on the table before shooting and they were spread out around the table.

OCD's = Obsessive Compulsive Disorders.

With all due respect to you as the worlds greatest banker, I've never seen any player who looks like he didn't want to shoot as much as you look like you don't want to shoot.

P.S. I see over on the All-Zaniness site that you've already finished your next DVD? I thought I was going to be consulted first to correct the inevitable errors? Oh well, just remember that "Olympics" has a "P" in it:p

P.Ps. Think about quitting smoking, it won't kill you:).

Cowboy "played Bankpool yesterday & just got the f@@k down and shot the ball" Dennis

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
John,

The Bank Ring Game took 4 hours & 2 DVD's to conclude. Pat Fleming fast-forwarded through many of your preshot routines to make it shorter and I also fast-forward through your shots as well since I can't take the constant BS. Do you think that your OCD's may be in part to blame for anybody not wanting you in a Bank Pool tournament? In one sequence alone you took a full minute to shoot a Mickey-Mouse, Cross-Side bank (obviously the only shot available) that Helen Keller would've shot in 15 seconds. You actually handled all four pieces of chalk on the table before shooting and they were spread out around the table.

OCD's = Obsessive Compulsive Disorders.

With all due respect to you as the worlds greatest banker, I've never seen any player who looks like he didn't want to shoot as much as you look like you don't want to shoot.

P.S. I see over on the All-Zaniness site that you've already finished your next DVD? I thought I was going to be consulted first to correct the inevitable errors? Oh well, just remember that "Olympics" has a "P" in it:p

P.Ps. Think about quitting smoking, it won't kill you:).

Cowboy "played Bankpool yesterday & just got the f@@k down and shot the ball" Dennis

Thanks but I only do all that when I'm being distracted.I could hear every word they were saying up there in that booth.I was stalling,and wating untill they would quit talking so loud.You only see me on the tv table.I have plenty of fast matches on the other tables.Thanks again,John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Thanks but I only do all that when I'm being distracted.I could hear every word they were saying up there in that booth.I was stalling,and wating untill they would quit talking so loud.You only see me on the tv table.I have plenty of fast matches on the other tables.Thanks again,John B.

Yep, I remember during one of Scott Frost's matches (in Tunica) he actually got up disgusted and said, referring to Danny D., "I can hear every word he says" or something like that. I suppose the commentators sit close to the action eh?

It is amazing that you have so much self-control that you only perform your OCD preshot routine when distracted by the commentators.

Your welcome again but I don't know for what.

Dennis

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana

Thanks John, i knew about it, but decided it was not my place to mention it.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Normally in ring games every player is supposed to always try their shot -- not play a safety. The idea being that the safeties just stall the game and the player that plays the safety is not going to benefit anyway because there are more than two players in a ring game -- like John says, that's what makes it a ring game. What I have seen over the years, even when there are no safeties allowed and you have to "shoot to hit" there little subtleties to how you can choose and execute your shots so as not to make the other players made at you because you are leaving such easy shots for the player that follows you (this is aside from the immediate next player who follows you, who doesn't like it if you sneakilly try to leave a little tough at least, lol).

Thanks Steve,. I surmise it's ok to play safe as long as it looks like you were trying to make a ball. Not that anyone would do that.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks Steve,. I surmise it's ok to play safe as long as it looks like you were trying to make a ball. Not that anyone would do that.

Well it's not "okay" but... You get my drift. It sounds like John's point to Truman was that once you are down to just two players it is no longer a "ring game" so why not allow a little more safety play at that point. The funny thing is that Truman has a bit of a reputation for being a fairly wide open player in general -- that's often how other players describe his style even in head-to-head play, lol. My sincere apologies if I got this wrong.

tylerdurden

Verified Member

If you shoot and miss, it is hard to say anything. Right? You may hear some grumbling if you miss a bank and it ends up middle diamond end rail and cb other end, but the truth is they can't really say anything (I have played in enough ring games). Of course you can't say stick whity right frozen on a ball, that's when people really jump up and heads roll. The other guys actually wont mind, but incoming shooter would scream bloody murder every time. Ring games are very delicate beasts.... people wait all night to get a shot sometimes, who knows, maybe they dog it and wait for another one. Imagine seeing a guy shoot a safe after that. That's why tension tends to get so high.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If you shoot and miss, it is hard to say anything. Right? You may hear some grumbling if you miss a bank and it ends up middle diamond end rail and cb other end, but the truth is they can't really say anything (I have played in enough ring games). Of course you can't say stick whity right frozen on a ball, that's when people really jump up and heads roll. The other guys actually wont mind, but incoming shooter would scream bloody murder every time. Ring games are very delicate beasts.... people wait all night to get a shot sometimes, who knows, maybe they dog it and wait for another one. Imagine seeing a guy shoot a safe after that. That's why tension tends to get so high.
I agree about delicate -- if you shoot too wide open everyone except the player following you will be ready to kill, but too tight and the player following you will -- its a delicate balance. I always hated ring games 'cuz it seemed like I always got stone cold with all the waiting -- plus safeties were always about the strongest part of my game, lol.