Dave Gross' Recap of Members' Tourney

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I guess I should do a recap as well, you know, peer pressure. :eek:

First let me say that this is the most pool I have played in well over 6 years. I’m still recovering, but I loved it. Onepocket.org is one big family and I really looked forward to putting faces to screen names. I enjoyed meeting those that I had the chance to meet, saw some old homie’s (hendy, KY, etc), but sadly I didn’t get to meet everyone (too many to name), sorry. Next time for sure. Yes online there is bickering from time to time, that’s what happens to family members; besides sharing the love of one pocket we all truly like and respect each other for the most part. So here’s to my new Bro’s! (clink)

After the longest wait to get my car (O’hare is a busy place and Dollar rental is nickel and dime outfit w/good prices) I finally got to Chris’s around 1pm Thursday. I was greeted warmly by another old homie from CA, Marshall Williams. We knocked the balls around for about 45 min so I can knock the rust off, then played again the next day. Marshall’s a great guy and it was really nice to spend time with him again; he hits ‘em pretty sporty too.

I had been to Chris’s in 1994 and one other time sometime later to show my wife the room while visiting Chi-town. While showing Di the room I saw that Dr. Bill was practicing so I went up to him and mentioned I used to watch him practice at the Rack in Detroit and that I bought his 1pocket tape then asked if he wouldn’t mind playing me a couple games. He graciously agreed and chuckled at my last safety and banked in the last ball like it was a hanger. It was great – wish you were able to make it, Billy.

After hitting them w/Marshall, I played a few games w/Mike Eck for cheap to get things started. Mike is an awesome guy and an awesome player w/a great stroke who is pretty aggressive on the table, which I like. I found myself up a game and then KY, John H, FastEddie wanted to go eat some Italian Beef sandwiches. I was hungry and asked Mike if it was alright to quite to go with them. Mike not only said no problem, he drove all of us to a place he knew, Roma’s Italian Beef and Sausage; you can’t beat that for Chicago hospitality! Thanks again, Mike.

Here we are in Mike's car on the way to the eats:

I was pretty tired and can’t remember what I did after that but I think I played FastEddy some billiards and maybe one of the locals to get my stroke loose. I really can’t remember if I played anymore pool or not, sorry.

My roommate was jtompilot (Jim) as he asked online if anyone wanted to share a room with him so I jumped at the chance. Jim is a really great guy, easy to get along with and as you all can tell from his finish, he is a terrific player. So much control and thinks the game really well. We did get a chance to practice a couple times and almost got to play but I couldn’t get past the Ghost.

I’m not going to go into my matches in detail as everyone plays great and offers different learning opportunities. I just wish I was smart enough to put any of it in practice. But I played Goldy; Mitch; the Champ, Robert; Jason; Mike Eck; and the dreaded Ghost. Ghost may be fun to tease but the man knows how to play one pocket. Thanks for the lessons, boys.

Everyone at Chris’s were fantastic hosts, except they promised to stock up on Diet Coke that never happened, but we got to joke about it throughout the weekend. Matt and Lizz were great tourney directors keeping things moving the best they can (some matches took a long time…I mean everyone tries so hard). John Crabb took charge of the Calcutta expertly. He was so good he had KY bidding against himself. :lol Goldy and KY provided the excellent stream. And, Steve Booth is always the perfect host and photographer. Thanks for all you do for us misfits.

There is always one thing that stands out to me during events like this and this was no exception, but it had nothing to do with the tournament directly. My wife’s best friend from college (Go Blue) lives in the Chicago area. Leslie made the effort to come watch me play Fri night and brought her 16 year old daughter who brought a friend of hers. Leslie sat and watched my entire match w/Mitch (she even sharked me on one shot where Mitch and I got to share a smile). What a trouper she was, especially since she had no clue about what she was watching. But her daughter and friend didn’t last a game. During our final game I noticed those two by one of the billiard tables watching 2 guys play. So here’s the thing that stood out and was my favorite part…

After our match was over Leslie and I went over to check on her daughter still watching the 3C game. For some reason she gravitated to that game and was fascinated by it (who knew?). Thankfully one of the players, Brian Haff, was explaining the game to them. After they finished their game, Brian was nice enough to get a set of balls and gave Leslie’s daughter and her friend a 3C lesson. He had a really nice way about explaining the game using many examples, then he set up a few shots for them to try. He even took off his glove and let them wear later in the lesson. This is one example of why I love the pool/billiard community; the people that play the game. I think all 3 of my visitors enjoyed themselves in their own way thanks to the generosity of a few. Thanks Brian! (Mitch was cool, too).

Here's Leslie's daughter making a short angle (look at that bridge!):

The same warm feeling I got from the story above is how I feel about the onepocket.org group as a whole. Sing it with me...We are family!

Thanks for a great time,
Dave

P.S. I finished 6th and John Henderson finished 5th (not the first time this has happened) :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks for making the effort to post this Dave.

Just from the chatter I overheard over three days, I get these impressions for what would make the ideal One Pocket player/member of OnePocket.org:

1. I heard a lot of envy over Dave G's smooth stroke
2. Likewise props for the Ghost's moving and shot selections
3. Newkirk's resilient and affable personality that carried his game at a high level through multiple come-from-behind wins
4. Jtompilot's stamina (but next time shoot the damn 8-ball lol)
5. Mike Eck's hospitality
6. Kentucky Bill's gift of gab
7. Mitch's all consuming love of playing
8. Henderson's gregarious nature -- plus his defiance of father time, don't you think?
9. Matt's nack at finding a wife
10. Oh, and my photography talent??

How's that for our player members?

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Glad you had a good time.

I ran into Brian a few years back in Houston when they did the USBA 3c nationals here. Super nice guy who really enjoys sharing the game with people. Also a hell of a player. Wish I could remember what the hell he taught me. I remember it was important...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
great report dave
i enjoyed the read
seems like everyone else you had a great time
and a great finish for someone that doesnt play pool all the time
p.s. one of the members told me about your beautiful stroke....
.wish i had one :eek:
:)

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
great post Dave and as I mentioned in my thread it was nice to meet you and get to play you a game of 3 cushion.

As far as Dave's stroke, I didn't get to see him play much one hole at the event (was too busy playing in the tourney or trying to match up lol) -- but I will say on the billiards table, he does have a very nice stroke. Not only does he hit it with some authority but its very smooth and takes the spin he puts on it very well.

Like I told you in Chicago, I am certain that your skills in 3c has had to improve your one hole game, you know the angles quite well sir, until next time!

chicagomike

Verified Member
Good stuff Dave...you're a great guy and great player. Next time no Mr. Nice guy...at least on the table. See you soon enough I'm sure!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Glad you had a good time.

I ran into Brian a few years back in Houston when they did the USBA 3c nationals here. Super nice guy who really enjoys sharing the game with people. Also a hell of a player. Wish I could remember what the hell he taught me. I remember it was important...

He has a lot of knowledge for sure. Brian taught me how to treat a stranger...I will not forget that.

Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
great report dave
i enjoyed the read
seems like everyone else you had a great time
and a great finish for someone that doesnt play pool all the time
p.s. one of the members told me about your beautiful stroke....
.wish i had one :eek:
:)

Thanks Larry, wish you were there with us.
Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
great post Dave and as I mentioned in my thread it was nice to meet you and get to play you a game of 3 cushion.

As far as Dave's stroke, I didn't get to see him play much one hole at the event (was too busy playing in the tourney or trying to match up lol) -- but I will say on the billiards table, he does have a very nice stroke. Not only does he hit it with some authority but its very smooth and takes the spin he puts on it very well.

Like I told you in Chicago, I am certain that your skills in 3c has had to improve your one hole game, you know the angles quite well sir, until next time!

Chris,

I'm sorry I left out our 3C game, it was at the very end of the tournament and we were both tired but I really enjoyed playing with you. We'll do it again one of these days.

Dave.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Good stuff Dave...you're a great guy and great player. Next time no Mr. Nice guy...at least on the table. See you soon enough I'm sure!

But I liked the "Mr. nice guy" Mike at the table. I know you were stalling with me then I pulled the old 'gotta go eat' trick on you. :eek: Can you say nit? hahahaha

Can't wait to see you again, I really enjoyed getting to know you.

Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks for making the effort to post this Dave.

Just from the chatter I overheard over three days, I get these impressions for what would make the ideal One Pocket player/member of OnePocket.org:

1. I heard a lot of envy over Dave G's smooth stroke
2. Likewise props for the Ghost's moving and shot selections
3. Newkirk's resilient and affable personality that carried his game at a high level through multiple come-from-behind wins
4. Jtompilot's stamina (but next time shoot the damn 8-ball lol)
5. Mike Eck's hospitality
6. Kentucky Bill's gift of gab
7. Mitch's all consuming love of playing
8. Henderson's gregarious nature -- plus his defiance of father time, don't you think?
9. Matt's nack at finding a wife
10. Oh, and my photography talent??

How's that for our player members?

This would be a person I would like to meet (except for my overrated stroke that you had to include because it's my thread). Oh wait, I did meet all these great people! Life is Good,

Dave

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Dave Gross' Recap of Members' Tourney

Dave great write up. Thanks for not detailing how you shellacked me heh. You are a real gentleman and it was a pleasure hanging with you. Can't wait to do it again.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave great write up. Thanks for not detailing how you shellacked me heh. You are a real gentleman and it was a pleasure hanging with you. Can't wait to do it again.

Thanks, Mitch. Back at cha. And, thanks for being so nice to Leslie and her daughter during our match.

Last edited:

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Dave is always smiling as he books no losers.Dave you're a winner in my book and a good guy. a real pleasure getting to know you. take care