Visualizing Kicks

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The Simplest Kicking System

The Simplest Kicking System

For Tex; This the most rudimentary kicking system I know of.

Simply locate the CB position to the closest diamond to the right or left of the OB on the same horizontal line. In the diagram here it's 5 diamonds from the CB position. This will be your, "imaginary OB" position. Then, find the "mid point" on the contact cushion, (2.5). If you notice it's little long for contacting the 9m ball full. Just adjust, and come back to 2.4 or 2.3 for a fuller hit on the OB. If the OB doesn't lie on the line from the first cushion back to the "imaginary" OB, just "parallel" to where it intersects the distance line from the CB to the OB.

If you'll notice, if you extend the CB and OB lines back to the bottom long cushion, the CB line will intersect the rail at diamond #7 from the right short rail. And the OB line intersects at the bottom right corner pocket. Since the distance from the CB to the RH corner pocket is 7 diamonds, the "mid point" would be 3.5 from the RH short rail.

Minimum 12 O'clock English applies.

View attachment 11112

This will work anywhere on the table, you may have to, "extend" the table from time to time for measuring.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
For Tex; This the most rudimentary kicking system I know of.
This is the simpler method I was talking about too. The only difference is that I usually visualize the base of the triangle where the OB is (the blue dashed line added below) instead of where the CB is.

As Bill says this is a "rudimentary" system, quick and simple - and with practice it can be very accurate. I rarely miss getting a hit using this method for a one-rail kick.

pj
chgo

P.S. I aim through the diamond on the rail to compensate for a rolling CB going long.

View attachment 75975

Attachments

• Bill's Kick.jpg
    Bill's Kick.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Your recent posts mention 'a simpler method' a couple of times, so if you would be so kind, this old dog would love to learn a new trick, that is, any simple or simpler method for kicks and banks. Your simpler method of visualizing the mirror of a ball in the middle of the table would be a great to know. Thanks for the instruction, very much.

tex heres another simpler method
i find the spot on the table thats on the vertical of the cue ball thats on the same horizontal line as the object ball
in this case the distance between those 2 spots is 4 diamonds
divide by 2 to find the hit point if the balls were in that location
imagine hitting that point from the imaginary spot of the imaginary cue ball and extend it about 4 1/2 feet away to find the "spot on the wall"
or the rail of a chair etc where that line extends to
NOW
all you have to do is aim the real cue ball at that spot on the wall
the calculation is much qucker than the time it took me to write this
KICK.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This is the simpler method I was talking about too. The only difference is that I usually visualize the base of the triangle where the OB is (the blue dashed line added below) instead of where the CB is. ...
Patrick, how do you visually compute (in your illustration) where the left end of the blue dotted line is, without already knowing the pinnacle point on the rail?

~Doc

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Patrick, how do you visually compute (in your illustration) where the left end of the blue dotted line is, without already knowing the pinnacle point on the rail?

~Doc
If I need a visual aid I hold my stick over the CB with the tip on the cloth where I estimate the end of the blue line to be and see if it's actually pointing at a spot on the rail that's midway between the tip and the OB (using the diamonds to measure). If it isn't I either estimate the adjustment or move the tip left or right until it is (keeping the butt over the CB, of course). Takes a few seconds.

If it's a steep enough angle I can hold my stick over the CB with the tip at the opposite rail and stand across from where I think the midpoint is to estimate it - more precise that way, for instance if I'm trying to hit the OB on a particular side.

I don't do this for every kick - lots of times I just aim 'em by feel.

pj
chgo

Last edited: