Efren Reyes vs. Nick Varner 1999 D.C.C. #2

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's good to see that all you kids had an adventurous day while I slaved away for 12 hours at work in the almost 50 degree oven up here. I thought I told you not to let these two guys in the house while I was gone.

SJD & Ghost.jpg

This place looks like it went through hell while I was gone but you got it fairly well cleaned up before I got home so I guess it's O.K..

What's with the crybaby anyway? It sound like "Mike The Bike" is back. I believe my advice to him was "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya", it still holds here too.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Hey Papie.....You conveniently failed to respond to my two earlier posts with questions for you, so let me re-post them here...and I've re-posted them in LARGE TYPE to make sure that your bleary old Yukon Jack-addled eyes can read them...

Goatsy, Obviously you have never played SuperDuck...The place you are struggling to get to, is no trap...I shall simply kick one long rail and side rail next, off the 4, and put you right back in your "trembling trap" again (and please, try and not go airborne on your next shot)...Did you call Earl about the "ass-weights" yet...I suggest getting up before noon, if you want to outsmart/outmove the Duck...:sorry
View attachment 4241

PS..Have you decapitated anyone lately, with your "Samuri cue-stick" ?..:D :D :D

PPS..Please guy's, you have got to see Goatsy in action, when he was at his peak 15 years ago...(link furnished on request)..:p

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
am i the only one that likes taking a scratch 2 rails hopefully near this ball near middle diamond end rail? maybe ill get lucky and hit it too hard and freeze him on that 14.

i'm sure i'm crazy, but all those uptable shots look like they will give him easy bunts out of the trap. if i did go uptable it would be off that red stripe (11?) to open those 2 balls. but id be looking for him to come off that 10 and freeze me on that end rail ball near my hole after that if i didnt get him with the 3, not good

No Tyler, you're not the only one - your shot is an excellent shot also, might even be the best shot - and no, you're not crazy...you saw the same weakness that I did in sending the cueball up-table...

Your shot's minor downside is that you might leave him a window to go through where he'd be able to do something with the 1, 10, or 13 ball...

But the plus side to your shot, as opposed to leaving the cueball along Efren's long rail, is that from your cueballs location you won't be leaving the shooter a return-intentional scratch, with him lagging down to the head rail and coming back between the 4 and the rail.

- Ghost

bstroud

Verified Member
Varner shot the right shot but once again he did not FREEZE the cue ball to the rail. What are these guys thinking?

Bill Stroud

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
so nick liked that spot also for the q ball:)
too bad efren didnt shoot the 3 and play safe when he had a chance;):D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Varner shot the right shot but once again he did not FREEZE the cue ball to the rail. What are these guys thinking?

Bill Stroud

You're beginning to sound like Artie, Freezing the CB on the rail whenever you wish. It ain't that easy. :D
Rod.
P.S. I never even do it on the WEI table, but you might learn how, it's easier there.

bstroud

Verified Member
You're beginning to sound like Artie, Freezing the CB on the rail whenever you wish. It ain't that easy. :D
Rod.
P.S. I never even do it on the WEI table, but you might learn how, it's easier there.

Rod,

I think it depends on what part of the shot you focus on. In this case not leaving a bank on the 6 is important but that can be handled by changing the angle you hit it. Where the cue ball goes up or down the rail an inch or two doesn't matter. What matters most on this shot is taking away 3/4s of the cue ball from your opponent.

I FREEZE the cue ball to the rail a lot. It is easy if you focus on that objective.

Bill Stroud

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I am forced to agree

I am forced to agree

Rod,

I think it depends on what part of the shot you focus on. In this case not leaving a bank on the 6 is important but that can be handled by changing the angle you hit it. Where the cue ball goes up or down the rail an inch or two doesn't matter. What matters most on this shot is taking away 3/4s of the cue ball from your opponent.

I FREEZE the cue ball to the rail a lot. It is easy if you focus on that objective.

Bill Stroud

While freezing the cue ball to the rail every time is not so easy, you will never do it if you dont focus on the fact that you are always trying to do it, as Billy S says.
Anybody that has played me bank is very familiar with shots that they can only follow. Being able to draw is a luxury.

Beard

I learned that from Eddie Kelly when I noticed that he tried to absolutely freeze you to a ball or a rail. Also Irving Crane. They were not interested in close. Also Clem Metz. Artie was a given.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
No Tyler, you're not the only one - your shot is an excellent shot also, might even be the best shot - and no, you're not crazy...you saw the same weakness that I did in sending the cueball up-table...

Your shot's minor downside is that you might leave him a window to go through where he'd be able to do something with the 1, 10, or 13 ball...

But the plus side to your shot, as opposed to leaving the cueball along Efren's long rail, is that from your cueballs location you won't be leaving the shooter a return-intentional scratch, with him lagging down to the head rail and coming back between the 4 and the rail.

- Ghost

Dear Ghoatsy,

It is not at all surprising, that you felt the need to defend Tyler's shot choice,... as it was YOURS TOO !...Sorry Tyler,I don't know your speed, but the Ghoats, is supposed to be a perfesshunal "mover person"..:rolleyes: (at least for Chicago)

I am keeping a daily log, Ghoatsy...I have titled it "Stupid Ghoat Shots"...It is rapidly filling up, (your latest gaff, is #347).. and I haven't even plied the archives yet...:lol:lol:sorry

PS..If memory serves me, you even tried to include/use, "the 2nd greatest one pocket mind in the world"..as your basis for drawing this idiotic conclusion...(bet he's pissed)..:p

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Dear Ghoatsy,

It is not at all surprising, that you felt the need to defend Tyler's shot choice,... as it was YOURS TOO !...

Papie, all kidding aside - are you really this dense, this uncomprehending?...

Tyler's shot is not the same as my shot - he suggested having the cueball continue on down to the foot rail - while my shot has the cueball stopping at the long rail :rolleyes: - I then discussed the pro's and con's of the two different shots, for those on here looking to learn......responding to you here, I feel like I'm explaining things to a 5 yr. old..:frus...

And by the way, what I wrote was not "defending him"...it was giving him his due recognition for suggesting an excellent shot - even if he is a 'newbie' on the site...

Unlike some people, I'll give somebody there props when they deserve them - they don't have to be in any clique of mine
...:cool:

- Ghost

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Papie, all kidding aside - are you really this dense, this uncomprehending?...

Tyler's shot is not the same as my shot - he suggested having the cueball continue on down to the foot rail - while my shot has the cueball stopping at the long rail :rolleyes: - I then discussed the pro's and con's of the two different shots, for those on here looking to learn......responding to you here, I feel like I'm explaining things to a 5 yr. old..:frus...

And by the way, what I wrote was not "defending him"...it was giving him his due recognition for suggesting an excellent shot - even if he is a 'newbie' on the site...

Unlike some people, I'll give somebody there props when they deserve them - they don't have to be in any clique of mine

- Ghost

Mr. Ghroats, sir,

Even a 35 year old, with a 175+ IQ, could not understand THAT rambling mush...Please elaborate, and just tell me in simple words...why you even entertained, much less suggested,...lagging safe in that spot...:frus (wheres Dr. Bill when ya need him ?)

PS..I will say this, you are greatly improved at avoiding answers, to direct questions..:help ...Also, how can it be an "excellent" shot, when you can easily get there off the 6, without owing a ball ?...:cool:

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Mr. Ghroats, sir,

I will say this, you are greatly improved at avoiding answers, to direct questions..:help

I, avoid questions? - please, give me a break - I've asked you several questions in this thread that you haven't answered...here's the best one though - I'll re-post/ask you for the third time :rolleyes: >>>

Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost

Hey Papie....now that Rod, Frank, Skin, Stroud, Varner and even your own partner in crime John H. have agreed with what I said in my first post - that leaving the cueball 1 1/2 diamonds up from Efren's pocket is the strongest thing that you can do here, period - are you ready to admit now that your shot-choice of sending the cueball up-table was not the correct choice?.....

Or are you still too Irish-pig-headed-stubborn to admit it?

- Mr. Ghrost

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I, avoid questions? - please, give me a break - I've asked you several questions in this thread that you haven't answered...here's the best one though - I'll re-post/ask you for the third time :rolleyes: >>>

Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost

Hey Papie....now that Rod, Frank, Skin, Stroud, Varner and even your own partner in crime John H. have agreed with what I said in my first post - that leaving the cueball 1 1/2 diamonds up from Efren's pocket is the strongest thing that you can do here, period - are you ready to admit now that your shot-choice was not the correct choice?.....

Or are you still too Irish-pig-headed-stubborn to admit it?

- Mr. Ghrost

Mr. Ghroast, sir,

More proof of your skill at avoiding a direct (but embarassing) question...Just post another question, that has been asked and answered allready..This appears to be a God-given trait, endowed on all Bensinger's alumni...Its amazing..:help

Now, I fully expect you to say "where, has it been asked and answered"...thereby avoiding my question, yet AGAIN..:frus

SuperDuck <---Thinks Ghroasty may have been a lawyer in his "real" life..:p

News Flash;..I see Goatsy has elected to log off, rather than persue this line of questioning...Or maybe he just got
the judge to call a recess ???:D

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Dear Ghoatsy,

It is not at all surprising, that you felt the need to defend Tyler's shot choice,... as it was YOURS TOO !...Sorry Tyler,I don't know your speed, but the Ghoats, is supposed to be a perfesshunal "mover person"..:rolleyes: (at least for Chicago)

I am keeping a daily log, Ghoatsy...I have titled it "Stupid Ghoat Shots"...It is rapidly filling up, (your latest gaff, is #347).. and I haven't even plied the archives yet...sorry

PS..If memory serves me, you even tried to include/use, "the 2nd greatest one pocket mind in the world"..as your basis for drawing this idiotic conclusion...(bet he's pissed)

No need to apologize Mr. Mcmorran :)

My new analysis :) I like varner's choice a lot. I still don't like going uptable here. This thread got so long, is your shot choice here to go uptable Mr. Mcmorran?

I have another question.... if the cb was a little off the rail, would you still come thin off that 11, or would you maybe try to get him closer to the end rail off that 6?? I will eagerly await your response :)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
No need to apologize Mr. Mcmorran :)

My new analysis :) I like varner's choice a lot. I still don't like going uptable here. This thread got so long, is your shot choice here to go uptable Mr. Mcmorran?

I have another question.... if the cb was a little off the rail, would you still come thin off that 11, or would you maybe try to get him closer to the end rail off that 6?? I will eagerly await your response

I, and everyone else overlooked the simple safety that Nick wound up shooting..It almost surely would have been suggested, by many, if we were standing, and looking at a live table...But, we are not...We have only the 2 dimensional WEI table to work with...This is why there are so many differing opinions, on almost all these threads, that the diabolical RBL and lll, see fit to post, 'ad nausium'...( haven't you noticed, the idiot, RBL just sits back and giggles)..Also, haven't you observed, RBL works 12 hrs. a day, and spends the other 12, trying to post something guaranteed to start a flame war...He needs to get a life. Plus, as you have seen, his computer skills, are a joke..:eek:

Back on topic...Ghoatsy was even considering lagging safe 3 rails,(while wondering if the 6 might be in his way), to get to his ideal safe spot. I have been to hard on him, because I don't think EVEN he is THAT stupid, were he seeing the table, 3-dimensionally. (ICBW here, :rolleyes:)

I am still not sure, but what I may not have still gone for the uptable safety, off the 11 (coming off the 6, is not an option to get uptable) as I am pretty confident, I could double up Efren on the 3 ball.. Distance is a huge ally, If Effy wants to cut at the 2 ball..Havatter Mr Magician... But I do agree, Nick shot the easiest safety available. (but, as 'BS' said, he should have froze him on the rail..;))

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I, and everyone else overlooked the simple safety that Nick wound up shooting..It almost surely would have been suggested, by many, if we were standing, and looking at a live table...But, we are not..)

ghost this is probably the closest you will get that you are right on this one:)

dick if you like this safety its because you like where the q ball is in relation to the layout

SO IF YOU GET THE Q THERE WHATS WRONG WITH THAT???:confused:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I, and everyone else overlooked the simple safety that Nick wound up shooting..It almost surely would have been suggested, by many, if we were standing, and looking at a live table...But, we are not...We have only the 2 dimensional WEI table to work with...This is why there are so many differing opinions, on almost all these threads the diabolical RBL and lll, post.(you haven't noticed, RBL just sits back and giggles)

Ghoatsy was even considering lagging safe 3 rails,(while wondering if the 6 might be in his way), to get to his ideal safe spot. I have been to hard on him, because I don't think EVEN he is THAT stupid, were he seeing the table, 3-dimensionally. (ICBW here, :rolleyes:)

I am still not sure, but what I may not have still gone for the uptable safety, off the 11 (coming off the 6, is not an option to get uptable) as I am pretty confident, I could double up Efren on the 3 ball.. Distance is a huge ally, If Effy wants to cut at the 2 ball..Havatter Mr Magician... But I do agree, Nick shot the easiest safety available. (but he should have froze him on the rail..;))

It's very true that you need to be up at the table to really get a good assessment of what's in front of you.

I saw this option early on but from the picture presented to us I quickly nixed it because it looked liked the right side of the six was not accessible from the way they layed.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
No need to apologize Mr. Mcmorran

This thread got so long, is your shot choice here to go uptable Mr. Mcmorran?

I have another question.... if the cb was a little off the rail, would you still come thin off that 11, or would you maybe try to get him closer to the end rail off that 6?? I will eagerly await your response

Tyler you're confused...you're making nice with, and cosying up to Mr. Duckmorran - who is the one that demeaned your shot choice...

And you didn't, respond to, and thank the Ghost - who is the one that complimented you on your shot-choice...:rolleyes:...

I know that Papie is quite old and you're being all polite and respectful towards him, but still...a reality check is called for here...:rolleyes:

- Ghost <-------May not compliment newbies on their shot choices anymore :cool:

..I see Goatsy has elected
to log off

Yes, I had to work...and then I went to the pool hall to play some real pool, instead of wei-pool.

- Mr Ghroats

PS, And by the way...you win - you're too stubborn - I've now given up trying to get you to answer direct questions, that were you to honestly answer them, would demean/ridicule you...:heh...:lol

It's very true that you need to be up at the table to really get a good assessment of what's in front of you.

I saw this option early on but from the picture presented to us I quickly nixed it because it looked liked the right side of the six was not accessible from the way they layed.

Frank...That's what I thought too - I didn't think we could see that side of the 6ball - that's why I was going to take a scratch to get to the long rail instead.

- Ghost

Last edited: