Some photos from the road

Erik

From
Lancaster, PA
Hey y'all, I posted a thread here in late May looking for people to photograph and play some while on a road trip I was taking in June. Here is a link to some photos from that trip: www.erik-hagen.com/pool . Just enter the password: onepocket.

I spent a few weeks driving around the southeast and upper mid-west, visiting people I knew along the way and going to as many poolrooms as I could, taking photos along the way. I think you will recognize a fellow onepocket.org member here and a few other players as well. Captions are under the photos, with names and locations.

I got to see most of the Rocket City Open one pocket tournament in Huntsville, AL. Maybe one of the only one pocket tournaments Orcollo didn't win or place in the top three this year. I had a great time and got to see some of my heroes for the first time in person. Efren and Busty both appeared visibly frustrated with there shot making abilities, Busty jumps up from his shots a lot. The field was only 14, I believe Danny Smith and Billy Thorpe were both scheduled to play, but dropped out as they were still involved in action with each other following the Buffalo's tournament. Chohan beat Josh Roberts one match in a race to 4 in 30 mins! Even the race to 6 finals went real quick as I recall. I spoke with Nick Varner afterward, he was there doing commentary, and he said while he thought Chohan played well, that Alex wasn't playing up to his usual standards and gave up too many opportunities. The final score line of 6-2 was evidence of that. It is a nice pool room, brand new, with 5 or 6 full size diamonds and maybe 16 diamond bar boxes. Probably the smokiest pool room I've ever been in, they could use a better ventilation system. The room was pretty full most nights, but outside of the pros there for the tournament I barely saw anyone playing one pocket.

I went to a place called the Rack and Cue in Cullman, AL (small town about an hour south of Huntsville). I don't think it has changed much in 30 years. It had a couple full size tables and maybe ten bar boxes of all make and models, most in rough shape. There was also a 10 foot snooker table in the back for golf. The gentleman who worked there, Bobcat, told me the golf game had kind of died out with one the players who was in it. The side is lined with a row of red fold-down movie seats, and the walls are all painted with murals of players that I believe were painted in the early 90's. The story is the mural painter owed the owner money and payed his debt with the paintings, or that the painter was new to his craft and the owner gave him the job to help him get his business going. It seems the definitive story is lost to history. The paintings are great, and were all made from photos taken of players in the actual pool room itself. They are all covered with a patina of dust and nicotine.

I also had the chance to go to Chris's Billiards in Chicago and play some with Mike the night before the members tournament started. Thanks again for the game Mike and the tips. Tried to meet up with the Ghost as well, but it didn't work out time wise. I stopped back in on the last day of the members tournament and got to see some of the matches and meet the inimitable Steve Booth!

I visited and played many other places as well, but those were the highlights.