Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cal
Default Marvin Henderson

any good stories about Marvin Henderson ? Who in my opinion and many others was one of the best onepocket players in his day. He played all games , Banks, 9-ball, Billiards & straight pool
Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Verified Member

There's a story in "Winning One Pocket" about him breaking down Strawberry Brooks in Washington, DC.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Verified Member

Default Marvin Henderson Stories

See Legends of the Road #23 - Marvin Henderson, Pool & Billiard Magazine, November, 1998.

Tom
toot-toot (own horn)
Old 09-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Verified Member

Default He was an all-time great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
See Legends of the Road #23 - Marvin Henderson, Pool & Billiard Magazine, November, 1998.

Tom
toot-toot (own horn)
There is no way I can improve on Tom Shaw's Legends story, but I do want to give Marvin his due, personally. Marvin Henderson played all games great, including a nice game of 3 cushion. He was a gunfighter of the first order and a class guy to boot. He was one of the big guns at the high-rolling Capital Billiards (The Rack) in Detroit's Oak Park, where 10k a game was not an unusual bet. He even did a tour at Bensingers in Chicago where Artie and I played him often. How good did he play? Johnny Chapman (Cannonball Lefty) and him was a close match playing Onepocket.
The Beard
Old 09-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Verified Member

Default Marvin could & did get the CA$H!

After spending about 3 winters in Detroit, I got to know Marvin pretty well. He was well known in the east but not known at all in the mid-west.
He was pretty short on cash at this time and I wanted to bring him to St. Louis and the surrounding areas to play One Pocket.
I flew him in and got him some great action. He made some pretty good Ca$h for himself & me but to be honest - I had my hands full keeping a "balance of booze".
None was no good - but - too much was worse.
When he was right - he was almost impossible to beat.
Some of the games I got him into - was very boring for him although he was playing for $100 to $200 per game.
I guess after being in Detroit for so long - we all got a little spoiled.

TY & GL
Old 08-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
any good stories about Marvin Henderson ? Who in my opinion and many others was one of the best onepocket players in his day. He played all games , Banks, 9-ball, Billiards & straight pool
Marvin and cannon ball were they two best all around black players in life including 3 cushion billiards. And Bugs was they best black bank pool and one pocket player in life.And Cliff Jointer is they best all around black player today he is number one. And Cliff Scott frost and Efrin are they best 3 one pocket players today. And Scott Frost will take over the number one spot. Unless a young chalanger learns how to play as good as scott frost. They 4 best players at getting backers in life are Ronnie Bugs Cliff and Efrin they are they four best players at getting backers. And they first 3 are pretty goog at bitting. The are 3 of the top ten one pocket players in life. And three of they greatest caracters in life. And Efrin today is they best all around player in the world. But he is not they caracter that Ronnie Bugs And Cliff are.These three are very colorfull caracters. Like Minasota fats Corn bread red Jersy Red and Detroit Whity.And HArold worst was they greatest all around player in life and he didnt have longevity either. He was a champion in Three Cushion Pool And Snooker. And bet his own money.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Art
Marvin and cannon ball were they two best all around black players in life including 3 cushion billiards. And Bugs was they best black bank pool and one pocket player in life.And Cliff Jointer is they best all around black player today he is number one. And Cliff Scott frost and Efrin are they best 3 one pocket players today. And Scott Frost will take over the number one spot. Unless a young chalanger learns how to play as good as scott frost. They 4 best players at getting backers in life are Ronnie Bugs Cliff and Efrin they are they four best players at getting backers. And they first 3 are pretty goog at bitting. The are 3 of the top ten one pocket players in life. And three of they greatest caracters in life. And Efrin today is they best all around player in the world. But he is not they caracter that Ronnie Bugs And Cliff are.These three are very colorfull caracters. Like Minasota fats Corn bread red Jersy Red and Detroit Whity.And HArold worst was they greatest all around player in life and he didnt have longevity either. He was a champion in Three Cushion Pool And Snooker. And bet his own money.
I'm glad you give credit to Harold Worst. I was very impressed with him every time I saw him. He was a man's man. He wasn't a loud mouth or a braggart, but he wouldn't back down from anyone at any game. He is the one guy who, if he had lived, might have eventually been able to beat Ronnie at One Pocket. He liked a challenge.

I was there when he beat Cornbread in the finals of the Snooker championship at the Michigan State Fairgrounds in 1963. I was just a kid but I'll never forget how good those guys played on that 10' table. Red won the One Pocket Division and Worst won the 9-Ball too. I think Babyface (Alton Whitlaw) won the Straight Pool.

And I saw Harold win the Stardust Tourney the year before he died. I remember noticing how much weight he had lost and wondering what was wrong with him. He was dying but still won that tournament. I think he was gone six or seven months later.

One guy I also wonder about who I never saw play was Youngblood Washington. I heard he was just as good as Bugs and Cannonball. But I don't know. When I was a kid, I heard stories from the old timers about Cannonball going to the big Straight Pool tournaments where he wasn't allowed to play. Then he challenged all the champions to play any game, including Straight Pool. And he got no takers. Puckett told me this about JC.

Last edited by jay helfert; 09-03-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
You are a 100% correct Marvan was great and should he in the hall of fame. And Marven played great for the money. And he had a very freindly personality. He is a champion in my book all around. And if any one would have played Marven all around in one pocket straight pool nine ball and banks I would have bet on marvan. The only exception would have been Eddie taylor and cannon ball. I would have passed. Ie all three would have played a round robin.I would have bet on a tie and play off thats how good and close the match would have been.Marven desirves to be in the hall of FAME. For his greatness as a pool player a 100% class.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Put Marven in the hall of fame for banks and one pocket because he deserves it. And Clem should be in the one pocket also. Dont pass them by.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cal
Default Marvin Henderson

Thanks fellows for setting the record straight on a great player, I had the honor and pleasure of knowing ,playing with and learning from this man. I am looking forward to his induction into the 1p HOF,which in MHO he earned and DESERVES. Just a quick story about Marvin, Marvin playing a gentleman $200 banks at Breakers in Pittsburgh and is ahead 8 games when he had a straight back for the cash,instead he banked the ball 4 rails dead center of the called pocket. The guy said if you hadn't made that ball 4 rails you could have won another G,Marvin looked at him with a smile and said I was tired of playing any way . The place went nuts. Marvin was cold blooded for the cash ICE COLD . May he rest in peace