Compressed wood shafts or solid wood?

backplaying

Verified Member
When I started back playing after a couple of months I finally got to where I could beat the ghost on a fairly loose 4 1/2 x 9 fairly easy.All the young guys were going on about how much faster my play would come along if I would go with the new superior compressed shafts like the predator or a black dot meucci,keeping in mine that I could already give the best player there the 7 and the last three,"small town". Anyway being opened minded I bought several new cue's, a predator with a 314-2 and the original 314 with the 3/4" ferrel,a gambler cue with a black dot shaft and a few others. I played with these for a couple of weeks and found these are the least forgiving shafts I had ever played with. They are so stiff using any outside english curves the ball much more than any solid wood shaft I had ever played with. I found I would miss easy shots like using extreme outside english to throw the ball in needing to keep the ball close to where the ball I'm shooting at is. I found I would almost have to aim at the ball full in the face on shots that I would only have to allow half of that with a old meucci shaft. It took me two weeks just to get back to playing the speed I was at before trying these shafts. I really believe these young players would be playing at a higher speed now if they were playing with a solid shaft compared to the compressed.Most have admitted they only hit a few balls with the solid shafts and have always played with a predator.Whats the opinions on these compressed shafts compared to the solid wood ones?

senor

Verified Member
backplaying said:
When I started back playing after a couple of months I finally got to where I could beat the ghost on a fairly loose 4 1/2 x 9 fairly easy.All the young guys were going on about how much faster my play would come along if I would go with the new superior compressed shafts like the predator or a black dot meucci,keeping in mine that I could already give the best player there the 7 and the last three,"small town". Anyway being opened minded I bought several new cue's, a predator with a 314-2 and the original 314 with the 3/4" ferrel,a gambler cue with a black dot shaft and a few others. I played with these for a couple of weeks and found these are the least forgiving shafts I had ever played with. They are so stiff using any outside english curves the ball much more than any solid wood shaft I had ever played with. I found I would miss easy shots like using extreme outside english to throw the ball in needing to keep the ball close to where the ball I'm shooting at is. I found I would almost have to aim at the ball full in the face on shots that I would only have to allow half of that with a old meucci shaft. It took me two weeks just to get back to playing the speed I was at before trying these shafts. I really believe these young players would be playing at a higher speed now if they were playing with a solid shaft compared to the compressed.Most have admitted they only hit a few balls with the solid shafts and have always played with a predator.Whats the opinions on these compressed shafts compared to the solid wood ones?

I can't stand them. I have no feel with them. They just feel dead. I owned one for about a week and quickly sold it. I didn't even ask for the shaft, he just gave it to me (Akita). I guess if all you play in 9 ball, 10 ball and straight pool, where the cue ball is constantly addressed around the center, those low deflection shafts can be maximized. I got too many shots up my sleeve for those shafts, though. I prefer a solid piece of maple, the more you can see the cords going down the shaft, the more solid it will be (is what I've heard anyway).

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Low Deflection shafts

Low Deflection shafts

I can play with either, but there is quite an adjustment and it takes a while. I play with the regular shaft, as I only play one pocket, and find it eaiser to duck under banks that will kiss if you don't do something. Like Senor, for me any extreme spin (with an LD shaft) is a problem. That said, the older muecci shafts were a little too limber for me, I think maple is somewhere in between and a good choice. Whatever you use it'll take a little time to adjust.
Rodney.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Keeping things clean, and not knocking the newer products, I have to say I find I play way stronger with a conventional shaft. After all, deflection, spinback, and so on, are things you account for BEFORE dropping on a ball, as you map out the shot. Just like speed, stroke, etc. My humble opinion.

Me and my old shaft still need 10-6 though

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Well said, sir. The stone colds is a shaft made from clear, straight grained hard maple with good tone, a taper that works for you, and good tip that holds chalk. Lots of the new shafts, LD and otherwise are gimmicks, IMO. The worst gimmick in pool is the specialty jump cue. Completely rediculous, IMO. IF, you can jump with your playing stick---no problem.

Martin

newfosgatesucks said:
Keeping things clean, and not knocking the newer products, I have to say I find I play way stronger with a conventional shaft. After all, deflection, spinback, and so on, are things you account for BEFORE dropping on a ball, as you map out the shot. Just like speed, stroke, etc. My humble opinion.

Me and my old shaft still need 10-6 though

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jazznpool said:
Well said, sir. The stone colds is a shaft made from clear, straight grained hard maple with good tone, a taper that works for you, and good tip that holds chalk. Lots of the new shafts, LD and otherwise are gimmicks, IMO. The worst gimmick in pool is the specialty jump cue. Completely rediculous, IMO. IF, you can jump with your playing stick---no problem.

Martin

Martin,

Where were you when I needed you. I have a running gun battle going on with JB Cases ( John Barton) over on AZB. Our latest war of words is.....
Thread title...."New Jumping Rule". John has been known to go ballistic if anyone says ANYTHING bad about jump cues.
He sells them... go figure.

Dick

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
No one is more traditional than I. However, I finally tried an OB-1 shaft, and I'm surprised at the extreme amount of spin with very little squirt that can be imparted on the cueball with this shaft. The hit feels softer than I'm used to, due to the foam core, but the action is impressive. Of course it hasn't helped me shoot the balls into the holes any better!

Doc

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Ob-1

Ob-1

gulfportdoc said:
No one is more traditional than I. However, I finally tried an OB-1 shaft, and I'm surprised at the extreme amount of spin with very little squirt that can be imparted on the cueball with this shaft. The hit feels softer than I'm used to, due to the foam core, but the action is impressive. Of course it hasn't helped me shoot the balls into the holes any better!

Doc

OB-1 shaft.........eeeeeeeek! There goes your spot Doc. I was going to get Joe Nelson to give you 8 to 7 but "not now". You've moved into the big league.:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
gbru said:
OB-1 shaft.........eeeeeeeek! There goes your spot Doc. I was going to get Joe Nelson to give you 8 to 7 but "not now". You've moved into the big league.:)
I was thinking you played with an OB-1, George. Joe Nelson wouldn't play giving me 8-7. He knows the sheriff would most likely come in and arrest him for robbery!

Doc

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
gulfportdoc said:
I was thinking you played with an OB-1, George. Joe Nelson wouldn't play giving me 8-7. He knows the sheriff would most likely come in and arrest him for robbery!

Doc

Ain't that the truth!

I'll try to make it up to the store on Thursday to visit. Is there any chance you can break away and give me some lessons with that OB-1?

george

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Hey Dick, Jump cues make a mockery of skilled pool games and represent a fundamental change in equipment allowed. What's next? Electronic cues with built in shot sensors? A 9-ball "cannon" break cue with a tripod and gunpowder charge? The jump cues are marketing and a gimmick to keep league ball bangers interested. Admittedly, I would be at a disadvantage not to own one because many players use them. I do need to raise my skill level with the gizmo--although I still hate them. John works the gizmos and Chinese made products angle. Sharp busine$$ man, no doubt.

Martin

SJDinPHX said:
Martin,

Where were you when I needed you. I have a running gun battle going on with JB Cases ( John Barton) over on AZB. Our latest war of words is.....
Thread title...."New Jumping Rule". John has been known to go ballistic if anyone says ANYTHING bad about jump cues.
He sells them... go figure.

Dick