efren scott again

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This is like anything else.. its easy to second guess results.. If Scott passed up the shot on the 7 and went on to lose the game people would be saying they can't believe a player of Scotts caliber passed up the cut on the 7 to win the game... If he passed on the 7 ball and went on to win the game they would say Scott used his experience and knowledge and chose to play the score instead of going for risky 7 ball shot... If he made the 7 ball everyone would be saying you have to shoot that if you want to win.. meanwhile he missed it and Efren made a great out and now we are here... Bottom line is as Tom pointed out alot of times its abut how you feel and how confident you are..
Normally I always play the score and would generally opt for playing Dr. Billys safety however playing Efren I would be tempted to cut the 7 ball and end the game right there.. If you miss it you have to make sure you at least hang the ball so Efren can't go for the bank on the 2 ball up table during his run.. If you hang the 7 ball Efren will have to give it to make it and scratch with those 2 balls up table so he will still need 3 and you 1.. I just can't believe how bad Scott hit it.

Rob, if you're going to shoot the spotted ball for the win then you must hit it with the speed that gives you the best chance to pocket it. Whenever spot shots are missed the ball never ends up in the pocket and if you would try to have it end up in the pocket following a miss you are fooling yourself. Scott admitted to both Nock and I that he shot the wrong shot, and he did.

But you are correct about had Scott made the ball we wouldn't be having this discussion, however, the reason we are having this discussion is not because Scott missed a ball but the ball he missed for many of us shouldn't of been shot.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
This is like anything else.. its easy to second guess results.. If Scott passed up the shot on the 7 and went on to lose the game people would be saying they can't believe a player of Scotts caliber passed up the cut on the 7 to win the game... If he passed on the 7 ball and went on to win the game they would say Scott used his experience and knowledge and chose to play the score instead of going for risky 7 ball shot... If he made the 7 ball everyone would be saying you have to shoot that if you want to win.. meanwhile he missed it and Efren made a great out and now we are here... Bottom line is as Tom pointed out alot of times its abut how you feel and how confident you are..
Normally I always play the score and would generally opt for playing Dr. Billys safety however playing Efren I would be tempted to cut the 7 ball and end the game right there.. If you miss it you have to make sure you at least hang the ball so Efren can't go for the bank on the 2 ball up table during his run.. If you hang the 7 ball Efren will have to give it to make it and scratch with those 2 balls up table so he will still need 3 and you 1.. I just can't believe how bad Scott hit it.

Bill, you and Nick were in the booth for this one. So you both were thinking before Scott's cut shot that he was choosing the wrong shot. I can see your point plainly enough and I agree with your evaluation of the situation but I also see Scott's point of view here. Confidence is a two edged sword. It can bring great and positive results and it can also be overused bringing disaster like it did in this case.

I just wonder if this wwyd would have been a topic of discussion had Scott made the seven. I doubt it.

Tom

first let me say dr. Bill WAS NOT IN THE BOOTH FOR THIS ONE
it was scott rabon and nick varner
nick said as scott was getting ready to shot
he wants to shoot this 6 ball ":heh:heh:heh:heh"

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
of course if he made it there would probably not be a wwyd
and all of the commentaries from rob of the "what ifs" are spot on
but
i can only speak for me here
i am not an elite player
so i like to understand what an elite player would choose in any given situation
(and try to practice it to add to my arsenal)
but also show when bread and butter principles of one pocket might be the best shot
my 2 cents
and worth just that much
:)
that being said
if i was scott frost/alex/efren/shane
i would probably shoot at my hole...:eek:
lets get this frickin game over ...:D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fwiw
inigs prior scott had a shot at his hole he passed up and knocked the 6 away
se5.jpg

Attachments

• se6.jpg
    se6.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
The first shot at his hole is nowhere near the shot where the ball was on the spot. Twice the distance. But for sure he would have shot at it if the seven was not there to run into.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Rob, if you're going to shoot the spotted ball for the win then you must hit it with the speed that gives you the best chance to pocket it. Whenever spot shots are missed the ball never ends up in the pocket and if you would try to have it end up in the pocket following a miss you are fooling yourself. Scott admitted to both Nock and I that he shot the wrong shot, and he did.

But you are correct about had Scott made the ball we wouldn't be having this discussion, however, the reason we are having this discussion is not because Scott missed a ball but the ball he missed for many of us shouldn't of been shot.

Dr. Bill

This statement in bold tells me a lot. It says he was not committed to this shot right from the start. That, for me is frequently the difference between success and failure.

Tom

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
efren scott again

This statement in bold tells me a lot. It says he was not committed to this shot right from the start. That, for me is frequently the difference between success and failure.

Tom

So true Tom. Reminds me of a quote... (Since its quote week lol)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456281538.937430.jpg

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

Billy the reason " spot shots" dont hang usually Billy is because normally when you are shooting a spot shot you have cue ball in hand behind the head string.. People wouldn't set the cue ball up at the angle Scott has for this shot if they had cue ball behind the line.. they would set the cue ball close to the side rail and be shooting a minimal cut on the object ball so they of course hit the object ball harder then hang speed because they dont want to leave an easy cross corner return bank.. This cut shot is completely different in that it was a thin cut and Scott could have VERY easily hit it pocket speed so if he missed Efren wouldn't have been able to get out.... Scotts problem and you can tell by how the balls ended up is he hit it too hard and he was trying to also get one of the other 2 balls over to his hole... In other words he tried to do too much with the shot.... The way he played the shot he should have even hit it harder then he did and scrambled the other 2 balls at the same... If you are going to shoot the 7 ball at this angle you have to hit it one of 2 ways.. either you hit it soft and pocket speed so if you miss it hangs by the pocket and Efren cant get out OR you fire it in so if you miss the 7 it goes up table... The one speed you dont hit it is the way Scott chose where you leave an easy bank if you miss.

P.S. Im actually shocked with Scotts "power one pocket" videos that he didn't play Franks shot and carom the ball over to his hole and draw back and freeze to the 7.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Billy the reason " spot shots" dont hang usually Billy is because normally when you are shooting a spot shot you have cue ball in hand behind the head string.. People wouldn't set the cue ball up at the angle Scott has for this shot if they had cue ball behind the line.. they would set the cue ball close to the side rail and be shooting a minimal cut on the object ball so they of course hit the object ball harder then hang speed because they dont want to leave an easy cross corner return bank.. This cut shot is completely different in that it was a thin cut and Scott could have VERY easily hit it pocket speed so if he missed Efren wouldn't have been able to get out.... Scotts problem and you can tell by how the balls ended up is he hit it too hard and he was trying to also get one of the other 2 balls over to his hole... In other words he tried to do too much with the shot.... The way he played the shot he should have even hit it harder then he did and scrambled the other 2 balls at the same... If you are going to shoot the 7 ball at this angle you have to hit it one of 2 ways.. either you hit it soft and pocket speed so if you miss it hangs by the pocket and Efren cant get out OR you fire it in so if you miss the 7 it goes up table... The one speed you dont hit it is the way Scott chose where you leave an easy bank if you miss.

P.S. Im actually shocked with Scotts "power one pocket" videos that he didn't play Franks shot and carom the ball over to his hole and draw back and freeze to the 7.

Rob, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that thought was running through his head at the time he was pulling the trigger on the seven ball shot. As Mitch said, "Two Rabbits, one shot"

Tom

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky

I say the reason spot shots don't hang is the angle that ball approaches the pocket.