Rules question

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Here's the situation, as it came up today. Cue ball is frozen to the 14 ball, both near the side rail. This is the question: if you drive the cue ball to the rail, moving the 14 a bit in the process, is it a legal shot? Can't find anything in the rules to cover it. Seems to me you cannot 'hit' or make contact with a ball already frozen to the cue ball, but everyone else says you can. How about it? I'm interested in the way you would play it in your area, but also if there is a rule that covers it. Thanks -

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Here's the situation, as it came up today. Cue ball is frozen to the 14 ball, both near the side rail. This is the question: if you drive the cue ball to the rail, moving the 14 a bit in the process, is it a legal shot? Can't find anything in the rules to cover it. Seems to me you cannot 'hit' or make contact with a ball already frozen to the cue ball, but everyone else says you can. How about it? I'm interested in the way you would play it in your area, but also if there is a rule that covers it. Thanks -

You are correct, you cannot hit or make contact with a ball the cueball is frozen to but it's still a good hit and no foul:confused:.

Look at it like this; you shot the cueball, the 14 moved and the cueball hit a rail, in that order. The 14 wouldn't have moved if you hadn't hit it. I guess that's the way we figure it.

I still take your point though.

Dennis

Deeman

Verified Member
Vapros,

My take it is a legal shot. I think the rule is a rail after contact so it must be a good hit if you moved the object ball at all.

DeeMan
Been wrong before...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would agree with this also.

This is the sort of thing that I would presume to be covered in the "general rules for pool" instead needing to be covered in the One Pocket game rules -- unless there is some reason it needs to be different or specifically spelled out for One Pocket (that I do not see).

Here is the World Pool-Billiards rule -- highlighted by me:
6.3 No Rail after Contact
If no ball is pocketed on a shot, the cue ball must contact an object ball, and after that contact at least one ball (cue ball or any object ball) must be driven to a rail, or the shot is a foul. (See 8.4 Driven to a Rail.)

and here:

6.7 Double Hit / Frozen Balls
If the cue stick contacts the cue ball more than once on a shot, the shot is a foul. If the cue ball is close to but not touching an object ball and the cue tip is still on the cue ball when the cue ball contacts that object ball, the shot is a foul. If the cue ball is very close to an object ball, and the shooter barely grazes that object ball on the shot, the shot is assumed not to violate the first paragraph of this rule, even though the tip is arguably still on the cue ball when ball-ball contact is made.
However, if the cue ball is touching an object ball at the start of the shot, it is legal to shoot towards or partly into that ball (provided it is a legal target within the rules of the game) and if the object ball is moved by such a shot, it is considered to have been contacted by the cue ball. (Even though it may be legal to shoot towards such a touching or “frozen” ball, care must be taken not to violate the rules in the first paragraph if there are additional balls close by.)
The cue ball is assumed not to be touching any ball unless it is declared touching by the referee or opponent. It is the shooter’s responsibility to get the declaration before the shot. Playing away from a frozen ball does not constitute having hit that ball unless specified in the rules of the game.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=121&pagetype=rules#6.3

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Okay, I'm convinced - but I'm not comfortable with it. I still think the shooter should be required to make a contact with an object ball, rather than being given credit for a contact already made before he goes to the table. :frus

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Okay, I'm convinced - but I'm not comfortable with it. I still think the shooter should be required to make a contact with an object ball, rather than being given credit for a contact already made before he goes to the table. :frus

....the spirt of the law lives...the letter of the law kills......pool lawyers can make a case either way......

8andout

Verified Member
frozen rules

frozen rules

you must move the frozen object ball by shooting towards that ball even if ever so slightly. you can't shoot "away" from a frozen ball and make a good hit. this is very commom in 1P.