I could could be wrong, but....it would be the first time!!!

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Hi Guys and Gals,

In the few weeks that I have taken a "time out" from posting, and have merely lurked, I have made several astute observations.

#1. Some people make a lot more sense than others. (as in real life)

#2. The "pool room mentality" is much more prevailent in the "old guys" than it is in some of the younger posters, or those new to the game.

#3. Rarely, if ever, will you see the word "liar", "stupid" or "assh--e", posted in anger, by anyone who is just trying to improve their 1P game.

#4. With the possible exception of Bobby Fisher, NO ONE knows all there is to know about ANY GAME of skill. (present company excepted of course. JK)

# 5. A healthy ego is almost a requirement of reaching the top level in any sport. There is however, a big difference in how that ego is portrayed.
(think John MacEnroe or Terrell Owens, as opposed to Arnold Palmer or Tiger Woods)

#6. Self deprication is a virtue only obtained by losing a lot. (easily, top of the class at that)

We have a few cliques, who tend to go along with whatever their "hero of the day" says... as if its the final word, on whatever situation is layed out on the WEI table. (which few seem to view the same way, and some may change to prove their point.)

"My way, or the highway" might work in boot camp, but it does not work on intelligent individuals, just trying to learn the nuts and bolts of a great game.

When you are dealing with such a wide variety of skill levels, what does it accomplish, for the supposed knowledgable posters, to constantly be at odds over shot selection, and other finer points of the game. Are they possessed with just a touch of a "superiority complex". (Think Napoleon)

If most of the "pros" who post on here, were put in real life, real pool table situations, I would almost bet most of them would agree on the same shot 95% of the time. Only the "I'm smarter than you" factor" seems to create a major difference of opinion.

As has been said, thats not a bad thing, for that gives the learning crowd a wide spectrum of options on any given shot.

I guess the gist of my lenghty observation is this. Most of us, (especially the old guard) should be a little too mature to go into a "pout" every time one of our peers disagrees with us.

Tom Hanks said it best in the movie "League of Their Own"....

"There's no crying in baseball" (apparently its okay to WEIne (whine) in one pocket though, huh?) :rolleyes:

Dick <---has been crying a lot lately. :eek:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
How's that new chair working out for you? Comfortable I hope. I guess Artie's first WEI table rattled Arizona too. Good to see you post. Now I can go to work.

Dennis

Fanatic

Verified Member
Glad your back; I've actually really missed you.
XOXO
Fanny

P.S--I've been crying a lot lately too--how bout we get together for a good pity party; you bring the Yukon Jack and I'll bring my sister ;)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have made several astute observations.

Yes, you have Dick.

I too, think it is healthy to hear all kinds of ideas on a shot, even if 95% of the pros would shoot the same, at least here we might get a glimpse into some other possiblities that may have been going thru their mind before eventually deciding on a shot. There is such a host of variables that might decide on that shot they chose at the time... the opponent, where their at in the set or race or the length of time the opponent might play, how the tables playing, the score, who's watching and the amount of the bet.

As a addict of newsgroups/forums for the past 17 years or so, I have learned alot in how these public forums work. Some obviously work better than others but they all have certain types of personalities in them. People who teach, people who cause trouble, people who are hurt easy, people who let everything roll off their back, people who name call, people who constantly bring up old posts in a negative way, people who post on every subject, people who are blowhards, people who are very knowledgeable, people who are calm and thoughtful before posting, people who post with their current mood that sets the tone of the post, people who check every word for spelling, people who could care less how they spell, people who share info, people who only ask for info..... ect......

This forum is no different, except it's smaller and more tightknit than larger ones. It reflects real life personalities and also the safety of posting from a chair behind a screen, without standing in front of that same group of people.

It is a little bit hard to get used too, the art of posting in forums.

But this is a forum where everyone of us, young or old, pro or joe, all share the same common love of the best game in pocket billiards... onepocket. Therefore, we should all be able to keep that in mind when things get a little petty, BACK TO THE ONEPOCKET!!:)

I know unless you have someone that plays at a high level that can help you, this is as close to a mentor as you will get. And unless you have someone that has been around the world for many many years, you will not hear the great stores from years past about great champions and great scores and great times and bad times.

I would like to say thanks to all of you that share your stories and allow a glimpse into the time machine, back when some of us wish we could have been in the scene, during those times.

Carry on and lets pay Steve Booth back for all of his hard work maintaining this site and allowing us a place in the cyberworld to interact with people all over the world. Let's pay him back and the game back, by playing fair in here.

CaliRed <--- who at one time or another fit every one of those profiles I listed above:D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
CaliRed said:
Yes, you have Dick.

I too, think it is healthy to hear all kinds of ideas on a shot, even if 95% of the pros would shoot the same, at least here we might get a glimpse into some other possiblities that may have been going thru their mind before eventually deciding on a shot. There is such a host of variables that might decide on that shot they chose at the time... the opponent, where their at in the set or race or the length of time the opponent might play, how the tables playing, the score, who's watching and the amount of the bet.

As a addict of newsgroups/forums for the past 17 years or so, I have learned alot in how these public forums work. Some obviously work better than others but they all have certain types of personalities in them. People who teach, people who cause trouble, people who are hurt easy, people who let everything roll off their back, people who name call, people who constantly bring up old posts in a negative way, people who post on every subject, people who are blowhards, people who are very knowledgeable, people who are calm and thoughtful before posting, people who post with their current mood that sets the tone of the post, people who check every word for spelling, people who could care less how they spell, people who share info, people who only ask for info..... ect......

This forum is no different, except it's smaller and more tightknit than larger ones. It reflects real life personalities and also the safety of posting from a chair behind a screen, without standing in front of that same group of people.

It is a little bit hard to get used too, the art of posting in forums.

But this is a forum where everyone of us, young or old, pro or joe, all share the same common love of the best game in pocket billiards... onepocket. Therefore, we should all be able to keep that in mind when things get a little petty, BACK TO THE ONEPOCKET!!:)

I know unless you have someone that plays at a high level that can help you, this is as close to a mentor as you will get. And unless you have someone that has been around the world for many many years, you will not hear the great stores from years past about great champions and great scores and great times and bad times.

I would like to say thanks to all of you that share your stories and allow a glimpse into the time machine, back when some of us wish we could have been in the scene, during those times.

Carry on and lets pay Steve Booth back for all of his hard work maintaining this site and allowing us a place in the cyberworld to interact with people all over the world. Let's pay him back and the game back, by playing fair in here.

CaliRed <--- who at one time or another fit every one of those profiles I listed above:D
i could not have said it any better. my sentiments exactly. welcome back sjd

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Calired and SJD,

Very well said.

I enjoy this forum very much. It is part of my daily struggle for improvement on the slate.

Dudley

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Dudley said:
Calired and SJD,

Very well said.

I enjoy this forum very much. It is part of my daily struggle for improvement on the slate.

Dudley

Wow, Calired is a much more astute observer than I am. Very well said Red.

I have only been doing this forum thingy for a little over a year now. You, in your wisdom, have described all the regulars, and their idiosyncracies in great detail. Wheras I only zeroed in on the ones that piss me off...regularly.

I think I've noticed one thing for sure. There is a certain kinship between the poster's that you can tell have "been there", as opposed those who prefer to take the lower ground and act as if they are the only ones who have really "been there". Thankfully, they are in the minority.

I consider myself "cyber-challenged", (among my other shortcomings) and I guess I do tend to bristle at not being able to defend myself in a written conversation, wheras I know it would be quite the opposite, in a face to face confrontation.

Dick <--- still loves them all, even if they are full of s--t.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Wow, Calired is a much more astute observer than I am. Very well said Red.

I have only been doing this forum thingy for a little over a year now. You, in your wisdom, have described all the regulars, and their idiosyncracies in great detail. Wheras I only zeroed in on the ones that piss me off...regularly.

I think I've noticed one thing for sure. There is a certain kinship between the poster's that you can tell have "been there", as opposed those who prefer to take the lower ground and act as if they are the only ones who have really "been there". Thankfully, they are in the minority.

I consider myself "cyber-challenged", (among my other shortcomings) and I guess I do tend to bristle at not being able to defend myself in a written conversation, wheras I know it would be quite the opposite, in a face to face confrontation.

You know what, Dick? You say all this stuff -- but you don't name names. Me? I don't know if I'm on Santa's good boy list, or can expect coal in the stocking this year.

Spit it out, man. Who is who! We all have big boy panties here and can take the shot. Who the hell are you talking about?!

Personally, I think the only thing you left out was the guy who suddenly becomes Wild "Bill" Cody on these Wei diagrams, when there's a lonnnnnnnng trail of his commentary on Accu-Stats tapes (and more importantly: his shot selection under live fire situations) showing him to be highly conservative and conventional in his strategy. He wouldn't shoot a couple of the shots he's advocating here with a gun to his head, IMO :)

Lou Figueroa
will name names
if Dick will

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lfigueroa said:
You know what, Dick? You say all this stuff -- but you don't name names. Me? I don't know if I'm on Santa's good boy list, or can expect coal in the stocking this year.

Spit it out, man. Who is who! We all have big boy panties here and can take the shot. Who the hell are you talking about?!

Personally, I think the only thing you left out was the guy who suddenly becomes Wild "Bill" Cody on these Wei diagrams, when there's a lonnnnnnnng trail of his commentary on Accu-Stats tapes (and more importantly: his shot selection under live fire situations) showing him to be highly conservative and conventional in his strategy. He wouldn't shoot a couple of the shots he's advocating here with a gun to his head, IMO :)

Lou Figueroa
will name names
if Dick will
Speaking of Wei, with Artie taking his first crack at wei-ing in, and with calired's retrieval of the 'origins of wei' and its connection to you, it makes me wonder -- have you lost your wei over the years? I'm pretty sure I've seen you post the old wei diagrams in the past, but I'm trying to recall if I've seen you post anything with the newer cuetable program... You have a lot to offer, yourself. Are you holding out on us Lou? :D

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:
Wheras I only zeroed in on the ones that piss me off...regularly.

but.... but...... Dick, In my haste I left OFF the ones that get my goat. You'll have to read my Sybil thread I"m going to start, now those are the ones that get my boxers in a bunch:)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lfigueroa said:

Lou Figueroa
will name names
if Dick will

Lou,

We all know who goes out of their way to piss people off. No need to name names. You (as yet) have not made my list,

However, you are known as a silver tongued, world class, s--t disturber. ( But I do like your style)

Dick <---is NOT Santa Claus, no matter how much I've given away.