John & The Ghost at CA Billiards

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Here is a pic of John & The Ghost during the tournaments at California Billiard Club in Mountain View, Ca.

The Ghost made the mistake of playing me my undercover road game, three cushion billiards. I am sure that it was a thrill for him, in spite of losing $$, to see my arsenal of shots and safties that were unknown to him, a longtime billiard player himself.

My victory was shortlived however, when I tried to put The Henderson Parlay System to work and bet it all in a race to three one pocket match.

Ghostie beat me three zip for the whole enchilada after stalling with me for a few games for a lower amount.

We are about dead even after playing several times over the past 2 1/2 years.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
jrhendy said:
Here is a pic of John & The Ghost during the tournaments at California Billiard Club in Mountain View, Ca.

The Ghost made the mistake of playing me my undercover road game, three cushion billiards. I am sure that it was a thrill for him, in spite of losing $$, to see my arsenal of shots and safties that were unknown to him, a longtime billiard player himself.

My victory was shortlived however, when I tried to put The Henderson Parlay System to work and bet it all in a race to three one pocket match.

Ghostie beat me three zip for the whole enchilada after stalling with me for a few games for a lower amount.

I love the shirt John:p . That Ghosty is a tricky one:eek: .

RBL

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I wish I could have streamed you guys playing, looks like you had fun and hope to run into you all again down the road. Your both good guys in pool, wish there were more like you out there.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
jrhendy said:

I felt that the difference between you two was the mental toughness that The Ghost has. But I actually thought it was going to show earlier in the match. Nice to see you two under friendly terms.

Billy I.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
A friend of mine in Mobile told me....

"When you get to Derby City....You better leave that Ghost guy alone...." :)

Who's paying who in that picture...?

Both of you look happy...I assume the Ghost is getting paid though....;)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gbru said:
A friend of mine in Mobile told me....

"When you get to Derby City....You better leave that Ghost guy alone...." :)

Who's paying who in that picture...?

Both of you look happy...I assume the Ghost is getting paid though....;)

He was paying me George, more than happy to learn a few new three cushion moves.

I wasn't quite as joyful after our one pocket match.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
vapros said:
So - John, is it true that you can't outmove a Ghost?

It is hard to out move him, but if you can cluck a few billiards on him and get him off his game, you can sneak by in Three Cushion.

In the one pocket match he beat me worse than Little Al Romero did.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I walked over to the billiard table and what a surprise I got when I saw you and the Ghost playing three cushion. I guess he didn't know that a few years back you actually won a couple of games with Sang Lee playing even.
I noticed you kept the games even until the the half way point before closing the door looking to play more. OOps did I forget the smiley face.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
JR did alright in the one pocket also. There were plenty of people willing to take JR in the one pocket match and we cleaned up on the side bets. I won't say that JR threw the match, but we made three times what he would have made from the Ghost. I hope no one from Ca Billiards sees this post. I'll be dead meat.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Scrzbill said:
JR did alright in the one pocket also. There were plenty of people willing to take JR in the one pocket match and we cleaned up on the side bets. I won't say that JR threw the match, but we made three times what he would have made from the Ghost. I hope no one from Ca Billiards sees this post. I'll be dead meat.

Big oops. I thought I was sending a PM.

jrhendy said:

Best photo ever. Love it !!!!!

It brings a genuine smile to my face to see two very cool and very awesome pool players exchanging some cash.

Luv you guys,
Clare

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Clare said:
Best photo ever. Love it !!!!!

It brings a genuine smile to my face to see two very cool and very awesome pool players exchanging some cash.

Luv you guys,
Clare

We were both trying hard to win Clare, but had a good time and there was a lot of conversation, especially during the three cushion.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jrhendy said:

Yep....John pretty much covered it all here...I wasn't hitting the billiards very well :( so John got me there...he was playing pretty good - for example, I remember that he went 3 for 3 on the three double-the-rail shots that he had...

Thankfully, I was playing One Pocket a whole lot better than I was 3cushion, and so I got my revenge on John playing our One Pocket session...

Like John said, we had a lot of fun, playing, and hanging out - too bad we don't live near each other, so we could do it more often.

Fast Lenny said:
I wish I could have streamed you guys playing, looks like you had fun and hope to run into you all again down the road. Your both good guys in pool, wish there were more like you out there.

Thanks Lenny - that's nice of you to say....you're one of the good guys too, and it was good to see you again.

wincardona said:
I felt that the difference between you two was the mental toughness that The Ghost has. But I actually thought it was going to show earlier in the match. Nice to see you two under friendly terms.
Billy I.

Billy - you're right ;) I needed all of my 'mental toughness' in order to torture John in the One Pocket - since he had just beat me in the 3cushion game...

C'mon now Billy...of course I'm going to be friendly to John - after all, the Ghost wouldn't want to lose a customer..:eek:...:D

vapros said:
So - John, is it true that you can't outmove a Ghost?

Yes, v-man, it is the stone cold truth...;)

- Ghosty

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
Two of my favorite players (and friends) who make the game entertaining and fun! I also liked John's shirt! I didn't know about the hidden three cushion talents!

DeeMan

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
3 cushion?

3 cushion?

Brucester, I cant believe you let that CA egg strum you at 3 cush. You have embarrassed our fair city and Bensingers in particular. At least say you got caught stalling and couldnt pull out of it.
Saved me tho. I would have bet serious on you, and might have played the old coot myself.

Beard

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Deeman said:
Two of my favorite players (and friends) who make the game entertaining and fun! I also liked John's shirt! I didn't know about the hidden three cushion talents!

DeeMan

Took almost three years to set the trap DeeMan, then he gets even playing one pocket.

Maybe I can get him to play golf on the snooker table (Once I learn it).

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
fred bentivegna said:
Brucester, I cant believe you let that CA egg strum you at 3 cush. You have embarrassed our fair city and Bensingers in particular. At least say you got caught stalling and couldnt pull out of it.
Saved me tho. I would have bet serious on you, and might have played the old coot myself.

Beard

I played quite a bit of three cushion with Charlie Millikin (sp) in the 60's Beard. Later on he had an action pool room in Norwalk.

He was an old bank pool player from Tennessee and one of the best three cushion players in our neck of the woods back then. Allen Gilbert, who was Lefty Gold then, was just starting to become a very good player, but he could not beat Charlie at that time.

Charlie was a horse bookie and I asked him if he made any $$ at it. He told me about 1k a week and I said that was pretty good. He said it would be if he didn't lose around $1,200 a week himself.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
I played quite a bit of three cushion with Charlie Millikin (sp) in the 60's Beard. Later on he had an action pool room in Norwalk.

He was an old bank pool player from Tennessee and one of the best three cushion players in our neck of the woods back then. Allen Gilbert, who was Lefty Gold then, was just starting to become a very good player, but he could not beat Charlie at that time.

Charlie was a horse bookie and I asked him if he made any $$ at it. He told me about 1k a week and I said that was pretty good. He said it would be if he didn't lose around $1,200 a week himself.

John I didnt no you played all games. You are a amazing man. I never even new you played 3 doushion billiards.

Thats a nother looser I would have bookt. The goast helpey me out by playing you.

Now I no you play decent 3 coushion billiards. Your a clever little fella. But Im glad that your still playing.

Is Billy playing in the tournement?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I can see John and Charlie getting along!

I can see John and Charlie getting along!

jrhendy said:

John; You finally pulled the covers off yourself, and with one of the craftiest birds in Chitown. It's hard to find an Oldtimer that didn't dabble in 3 C from LA.

When I was the manager of Hollywood billiards from 1987-1991 I also spent plenty of time at North Hollywood Billiards, owned by Larry Weir then. that's where most of the 3 Cushion players hung out, I'd heard about Charlie for years from my mentor Ernie Presto, he said Charlie was a good Sectional player, right under guys like Danny McGoorty.

Charlie and I became pretty friendly at that time, he used to come around the room about twice a week, he lived in Lancaster, CA. with his daughter. We'd sit around and cut up jack pots about the Oldtime players he knew and seen. He once gave me a terrific compliment I never forgot, he said, "Bill, you're the most Natural Billiard player I've seen in 40 yrs, you make it look so easy"!

Charlie and I sort of spoke the same language, we loved to gamble, not many in North Hollywood Billiards did. He had alot of horse stories that would break a horse player's heart.

I was saddened when I'd heard he passed away, there goes another Daymen Runyun character which is love so much!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://www.mr3cushion.com