No 3 foul rule at DCC???

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I was watching a match just posted (JJ vs Ernesto Bayaua)
and the commentator mentioned there's no 3 foul rule at the DCC.
Is that true?
If so that's a great way to do the exact opposite of making the one pocket go quickly.
I'm surprised Joyner's matches aren't still going.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Is that true?
If so that's a great way to do the exact opposite of making the one pocket go quickly.

If he said that, he's crazy. Was it a tournament match?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
from the dcc rules

3-Foul Rule

If you commit 3 successive fouls in one game you lose the game. Your opponent must notify you that you are on 2 fouls immediately before your next inning

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
from the dcc rules

3-Foul Rule

If you commit 3 successive fouls in one game you lose the game. Your opponent must notify you that you are on 2 fouls immediately before your next inning
Thanks.
Had a hard time believing otherwise.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yes the 3 foul rule was in effect!

The only thing that I know that was different this year is they said if the ball fell on the break, that it counted (instead of re-racking). I thought it was a little strange doing that but still racking your own, but it never came up for me...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I think commentators get confused between the 3 consecutive foul rule vs. the frozen object ball rule.

Frozen object ball rule is when the object ball is either frozen to the rail or within 1/2 ball width of the rail, and you just play a simple tap shot into the object ball and the object ball remains in relatively the same position with it being between the rail and the cue ball. Then the opponent does a similar tap shot and the balls remain in the relative the same position.

Well these tap shots are allowed twice by each player and then on the 3 rd shot a legal shot has to have either the cue ball contact a rail or the object ball contact another rail, or pocket a ball. If not the opponent gets ball in hand/ behind the line.

OnePocket.org does not go by this rule and also allows you to do as many of these simple taps shots as you want.

I also seen in DCC whereas the cue ball is in-between the rail and the object ball and frozen to both, and the players just simply barely touch the cue ball and roll it slightly down the rail, which is a foul in OnePocket.org rules. For the rail is not alive for the cue ball since it is frozen to it, and the object ball can not be played off of to directly contact the same rail.

In this instance the commentator said I just witnessed 3 fouls that were not called, and the other commentator said the 3 foul rule does not apply to this tournament. The other commentators statement was confusioning for sure. Yes the one commentator did witness 3 uncalled fouls. Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think commentators get confused between the 3 consecutive foul rule vs. the frozen object ball rule.

Frozen object ball rule is when the object ball is either frozen to the rail or within 1/2 ball width of the rail, and you just play a simple tap shot into the object ball and the object ball remains in relatively the same position with it being between the rail and the cue ball. Then the opponent does a similar tap shot and the balls remain in the relative the same position.

Well these tap shots are allowed twice by each player and then on the 3 rd shot a legal shot has to have either the cue ball contact a rail or the object ball contact another rail, or pocket a ball. If not the opponent gets ball in hand/ behind the line.

OnePocket.org does not go by this rule and also allows you to do as many of these simple taps shots as you want.

I also seen in DCC whereas the cue ball is in-between the rail and the object ball and frozen to both, and the players just simply barely touch the cue ball and roll it slightly down the rail, which is a foul in OnePocket.org rules. For the rail is not alive for the cue ball since it is frozen to it, and the object ball can not be played off of to directly contact the same rail.

In this instance the commentator said I just witnessed 3 fouls that were not called, and the other commentator said the 3 foul rule does not apply to this tournament. The other commentators statement was confusioning for sure. Yes the one commentator did witness 3 uncalled fouls. Whitey

if the object ball is off the rail
how is it a foul to tap/tap tap 3 times ???
please provide a link to that rule
thanks

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

whitey to me
if there was a sliver of a gap between the cue ball froze to the rail and a gap with the object ball
and you went off that object ball and back to the same rail the cue ball is froze to
ITS A LEGAL HIT
do you agree ??

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
lll,
The tapping of an object ball 3 times was a rule that is now defunct occurring sometime between 2003 and 2008 for there is no mention of it in the 2008 BCAPL rules that mimics BCA & WPA rules. It is still in my 2003 BCA rule book under 14.1 and BCA had went to WPA general rules at that time, or prior. *It is yet another example of an American rule that is now lost to history!* What a shame! A rule that all our past HOF straight pool players like Mosconi, Crane, Balsis played by is now not good enough to keep, there is something wrong with this scene.

It is in the '68 BCA rule book under 14.1. In '68 14.1 is the prominent game and most rules and you have to say most general rules were listed under 14.1, so you had to go there to get a sense of the rules. Their general rules in those days was only one page long. Did this rule apply to other games, it could if the players agreed to it, but there was no other game besides 14.1 in the BCA eyes.

In '68 BCA listed game rules for 17 different games it spanned 45 pgs. and 13 pgs. were devoted to 14.1. The last game recognized was One Pocket and it was devoted 1/2 pg. That is how lowly regarded One Pocket was at that time.

But the rule is a good rule IMO, for who wants to tap a ball continuously, or watch it. The guy that started this scenario and after two tapping shots then should have to do something. I had this happen to me in a 9-ball game whereas the player was afraid to do something with the ob, it was pathetic for we were just tapping the ball after that, I sure wish that rule was in place for all games where applicable. I did not know of this rule at that time approx. '97.

But your other question when there is a sliver gap then yes the rail the cb is frozen to is alive for the cb. This rule is covered in our OnePocket.org official rules under rule 8. I do not know if it applies to DCC, but in the match I viewed maybe the players just were unaware of such a one pocket rule. But the primary commentator caught the fouls he was witnessing, but the secondary commentators remark was ridiculous and unrelated, and thus confused me for no fouls were being called. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Is that true?

Funny, I saw a match last night by chance between Tony Chohan and Jaymie Goodwin commentated by the same doe-doe saying the same thing; that the 3 foul rule is NOT in effect. He should really get his facts straight! Kevin something.

https://youtu.be/0VaZDbagqMA?t=4

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Since there is now 2 videos claiming the 3 consecutive foul rule is not enforced in DCC, I had to lean on Bret Baker the TD of DCC, once again! He stated; "that the commentator was mistaken, and yes the 3 foul rule is enforced at DCC".

Wow! One just has to wonder how this commentator came up with this one. Like Fats says; "Unbelievable"! Whitey

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I watched one of their matches today, think it was Alex and Ike Runnels,didn't have any commentary. Appreciate that they posted matches so really not too put out by a simple mistake. I also did hear the "no three foul" statement in some of their matches with commentary.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I watched one of their matches today, think it was Alex and Ike Runnels,didn't have any commentary. Appreciate that they posted matches so really not too put out by a simple mistake. I also did hear the "no three foul" statement in some of their matches with commentary.

Absolutely. I wasn't ragging. I'm sure they had to have heard it from somewhere.
Lots of content from the DCC this year. I'm grateful.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Absolutely. I wasn't ragging. I'm sure they had to have heard it from somewhere.
Lots of content from the DCC this year. I'm grateful.

I am grateful too, sorry if it sounded otherwise. I actually sent Railbirds Productions a message on facebook thanking them but bringing this to their attn for future reference. I have yet to get a reply.

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Just got a reply from Railbirds: "My information came from Ric Jones, the tournament director."

Sorry to keep bringing this up, just reporting what I learned. Anyone know Ric Jones? Again, no big deal, I've enjoyed the videos.

Last edited:

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Just a question about the three foul rule, at this level (DCC) how often does
a three foul actually happen? I've watched a few of the matches and think I might have seen two fouls in a row once, not a 100% sure.

I have learned quite a bit from these and sure hope they keep doing it every year.