Members Only

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
There was this beautiful Harley bagger next to my truck the other day when I came out of the grocery store. It had the Harley colors and not too much chrome. Set up to ride two people and a back rest for old codgers. I was thinking, I’m going to get another bike. I’ve had a few, Harley, Gold Wing, Yamaha and so on. Then I remembered that I can only ride it long enough to get laid up for a few days and then I’ll spend all my time washing and polishing the damn thing so it doesn’t rust. Nope. No more bikes for this guy which brings me to my reason that I won’t be at this years member tournament. Last year in Chicago, I signed up for the tournament. It didn’t matter how I did because I had the stream to work IF I got knocked out. I didn’t get knocked out, I had to withdraw. Like the bike, there is only so much I can do, starting, stopping, starting, doesn’t work for my back. So right in the middle of my match with Darmoose, I had to quit, my back froze. No big deal, now to the thing I really love, announcing the play by play. I had some great partners last year and I thought the members that did announce did a masterful job.
Like the bike, it is time for me to recognize that playing in tournaments, no matter how much I want to, is not in the future.:sorry

chicagomike

Verified Member
There was this beautiful Harley bagger next to my truck the other day when I came out of the grocery store. It had the Harley colors and not too much chrome. Set up to ride two people and a back rest for old codgers. I was thinking, I’m going to get another bike. I’ve had a few, Harley, Gold Wing, Yamaha and so on. Then I remembered that I can only ride it long enough to get laid up for a few days and then I’ll spend all my time washing and polishing the damn thing so it doesn’t rust. Nope. No more bikes for this guy which brings me to my reason that I won’t be at this years member tournament. Last year in Chicago, I signed up for the tournament. It didn’t matter how I did because I had the stream to work IF I got knocked out. I didn’t get knocked out, I had to withdraw. Like the bike, there is only so much I can do, starting, stopping, starting, doesn’t work for my back. So right in the middle of my match with Darmoose, I had to quit, my back froze. No big deal, now to the thing I really love, announcing the play by play. I had some great partners last year and I thought the members that did announce did a masterful job.
Like the bike, it is time for me to recognize that playing in tournaments, no matter how much I want to, is not in the future.:sorry

I wanted a motorcycle since I was 14 years old. My brother was in a bad motorcycle accident when he was 16. I waited til I was 40 to get my license and buy my bike, but sold my motorcycle after only having it a few years. I knew when it got to be spring time and I was not “jonzin’” to ride that I didn’t need one.

I really enjoyed commentating on the match in Chicago...my 1st time doing it. Thanks for giving me the nudge.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Members Only

I really enjoyed commentating on the match in Chicago...my 1st time doing it. Thanks for giving me the nudge.

Same here. Though my partner kept eating into the mic. Jk. That was a blast. I’m sure we would only get better Mike.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Same here. Though my partner kept eating into the mic. Jk. That was a blast. I’m sure we would only get better Mike.

I don't recall seeing if they wil have commentators for Scotty Townsend but I imagine with it being a big event with all the top pros, they will probably have some commentators.

But if not, or on any event that offers no commentators, we can always use discord voice chat. We could set it, for example, so that only Mitch and Chicago Mike have "voice" privileges and everyone else in the channel just has "Listen" privileges. So that way, you 2 would be commentating, while we all watched the match and listened in...could always swap members in who wanted to try.....we will make it happen one day soon, I know it! :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I don't recall seeing if they wil have commentators for Scotty Townsend but I imagine with it being a big event with all the top pros, they will probably have some commentators.

But if not, or on any event that offers no commentators, we can always use discord voice chat. We could set it, for example, so that only Mitch and Chicago Mike have "voice" privileges and everyone else in the channel just has "Listen" privileges. So that way, you 2 would be commentating, while we all watched the match and listened in...could always swap members in who wanted to try.....we will make it happen one day soon, I know it! :)

Definitely will have commentators. Probably Larry Swartz, plus JJ sitting in now and then when he's not playing. That doesn't mean 1Porg couldn't have discord commentating if anyone is interested.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Definitely will have commentators. Probably Larry Swartz, plus JJ sitting in now and then when he's not playing. That doesn't mean 1Porg couldn't have discord commentating if anyone is interested.

figured as much, and if JJ is commentating most of us would rather hear him than some of us saps anyways hehe..

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
figured as much, and if JJ is commentating most of us would rather hear him than some of us saps anyways hehe..

Believe it or not, the style that I like to use when commentating, describe the options a player has in his shot selection and why are similar to JJ’s style. JJ’s explanations are probably more detailed. For instance. Blocking the banking lanes by tying up balls in your opponents side pocket. Things that keep your opponent at bay. I realize that the size of my ego, comparing my style and JJ’s may be extreme, but I believe his way of commentating is what pool needs. If we were to commentate together it would be a blast but our styles are too similar. The other thing would me being tongue tied being in awe of him.
The worst part about commentating is when there is a wedge game. Hendy and I had trouble staying awake in Houston during a particularly long safety play. Lots of dead sound. I know most of you appreciated the dead sound part. If I’m not invited to the Members tournament to commentate, then my next broadcast may be the US Open as a guest and then the Seniors tournament in Houston. Mark your calendars.:lol:lol:lol

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Why, yes. Who could possibly tell them apart?

BTW, I don't think I ever mentioned here that my one pocket style is uniquely like Pagulayan's. :heh

Boy I butchered that opening remark. I want you to know JOHN that you cured me of Mexican food. I haven’t had any since that time we played pool. I look forward to playing you some more, but not for dinners.:eek::cool: