West coast swing 2019

baby huey

Verified Member
I just heard there will be no West Coast Swing this year. There will only be the Cole Dickson Memorial in San Francisco. The West Coast Swing featuring stops at Hard Times LA, California Billiards and Hard Times Sacramento were really nice for us players on the West Coast. Anyone heard why this happened?

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I just heard there will be no West Coast Swing this year. There will only be the Cole Dickson Memorial in San Francisco. The West Coast Swing featuring stops at Hard Times LA, California Billiards and Hard Times Sacramento were really nice for us players on the West Coast. Anyone heard why this happened?

I tuned in Sat because I wanted to see Edgie Geronimo play a match and I heard Daniel B say the same thing, but he did not say why this happened...!

Masta Cruz

From
Fresno, CA
From what I heard was that there were too many conflicting events and that the pros were scheduled elsewhere.

I’m disappointed there’s no big one pocket event for summer as well, so I figured I’d go play the San Francisco cole Dixon memorial the end of the month and use up all my one pocket hotel money for their nine ball event for something to do.

Hopefully Oscar will get us a chuck memorial 1pkt/9b jamboree event soon. Usually it’s in August I think. My hopes will be up.

Ferrari328

Considering that it was only one room on the West Coast involved last year, this is not surprising.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
From what I heard was that there were too many conflicting events and that the pros were scheduled elsewhere.

I’m disappointed there’s no big one pocket event for summer as well, so I figured I’d go play the San Francisco cole Dixon memorial the end of the month and use up all my one pocket hotel money for their nine ball event for something to do.

Hopefully Oscar will get us a chuck memorial 1pkt/9b jamboree event soon. Usually it’s in August I think. My hopes will be up.
MC, will that be held at Calif. Billiards? I wonder if there are any poolrooms left in the SF City besides Delbert Wong's? There were some great rooms there at one time. Too bad what's happened to that town...

~Doc

Masta Cruz

From
Fresno, CA
MC, will that be held at Calif. Billiards? I wonder if there are any poolrooms left in the SF City besides Delbert Wong's? There were some great rooms there at one time. Too bad what's happened to that town...

~Doc

The Cole Dixon 9b will be at Delbert’s family billiards in SF. Beautiful pool hall but I can count the times I’ve been there on one hand because of the stress of driving in that city causes me.

Otherwise I’ve heard there’s a billiard palacade in SF as well but I’ve never had a chance to visit it.

The west coast swing normally would go to Fremont at Chris swart’s California billiards.

The chuck markulis memorial 1pkt & 9b event is held at hard times Sacramento which is now under new ownership of Oscar Dominguez. I haven’t heard anything yet for this year but the last year or two the tournament was held around Mid to late August.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
rent is what happened to pool rooms in the bay area. Hard enough to live in te bay area let alone get the square footage for a pool hall

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas

~Doc

It’s happening everywhere Doc. When Banana’s closed in San Antonio it was like a death in the pool community. Not just for the pool but as a gathering place to sit an the rail and shoot the breeze. All the Clicks, Slick Willie’s and Fast Eddie’s can’t replace pool venues like Banana’s, Le Cue and Parker’s in Houston and Hollywood. I’m not on the same level as a lot of the members here but there is something about the atmosphere in the old rooms that’s hard to duplicate.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
It’s happening everywhere Doc. When Banana’s closed in San Antonio it was like a death in the pool community. Not just for the pool but as a gathering place to sit an the rail and shoot the breeze. All the Clicks, Slick Willie’s and Fast Eddie’s can’t replace pool venues like Banana’s, Le Cue and Parker’s in Houston and Hollywood. I’m not on the same level as a lot of the members here but there is something about the atmosphere in the old rooms that’s hard to duplicate.

I agree. We still have some great rooms in Northern CA (Family Billiards, CA Billiards and Hard Times) but we lost The Jointed Cue a few months ago. An old room in a rougher part of town that had a lot of character and memories. It ran weekly and yearly tournaments for well over 40 years. I remember driving up from SoCal, in action all night and then playing in the tournament. Those days are gone forever as we get older, but I sure do have some great memories.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
It wasn’t for Chris at California Billiards to make a game of it. He had some great tournaments right after the Derby. One pocket, ten ball. Strickland, Morris, Alex. All the top dogs were there. What happened? More money other places. Pay per view. By himself, Chris isn’t enough. Grifs in Las Vegas has his company backing his events. I would love one of you Silicon Valley Engineers to get some big money backing.
New Orleans has the big time action, why? California Billiards why not. I would have thought the Tony match would have put California Billiards on the
One Pocket big leagues.
You have done a great job Chris.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
it wasn’t for chris at california billiards to make a game of it. He had some great tournaments right after the derby. One pocket, ten ball. Strickland, morris, alex. All the top dogs were there. What happened? More money other places. Pay per view. By himself, chris isn’t enough. Grifs in las vegas has his company backing his events. I would love one of you silicon valley engineers to get some big money backing.
New orleans has the big time action, why? California billiards why not. I would have thought the tony match would have put california billiards on the
one pocket big leagues.
You have done a great job chris.
super job.