what do you think about what ben let dave do in the finals

BRLongArm

Verified Member
If I am playing any kind of tournament or money match for that matter, it really makes no difference to me who spots the balls as long as it is done properly.

I believe this is incorrect. You can't shoot the ball and spot the ball at the same time. That is why the outgoing player spots the ball. The incoming player can then inspect the spot, and inform his opponent if it is not spotted correctly. Doing it any other way slows down the game.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I believe this is incorrect. You can't shoot the ball and spot the ball at the same time. That is why the outgoing player spots the ball. The incoming player can then inspect the spot, and inform his opponent if it is not spotted correctly. Doing it any other way slows down the game.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that it is the responsibility of the in incoming player to spot the balls because it is not. My point is, if the incoming player is not happy with the spot they are free to do it themselves...it makes no difference to me.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
same rule as if we play opponent racks the balls. the shooter if he doesn't like the rack, doesn't get to re-rack them and tap them into place. at least not if i am playing, unless robbing the guy and dont want to piss him off.
I've seen people throw away the potential for a lot of $$$$ because they can't see the wisdom in that last bit. :rolleyes:

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
If I am playing any kind of tournament or money match for that matter, it really makes no difference to me who spots the balls as long as it is done properly.

I agree with "Hardmix." This is how I play but I can also play by the rules set forth by Dennis "Whitey" Young.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I agree with "Hardmix." This is how I play but I can also play by the rules set forth by Dennis "Whitey" Young.

Yes, either way for me.. I knew lots of people who always spot a ball, putting the number straight up and down and putting up the 8 ball on the spot and up front, racking, thinking it gives a tiny advantage...

youngstown

Verified Member
what do you think about what ben let dave do in the finals

Yes, either way for me.. I knew lots of people who always spot a ball, putting the number straight up and down and putting up the 8 ball on the spot and up front, racking, thinking it gives a tiny advantage...

Earl Strickland told me that with older balls it mattered how the number of the ball was facing...sometime it would kick funny...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Jimmy, this reminds of a thought I had about opponent racking. When the opponent racks, the head ball and the 2nd row ball on the breaking side should 'not' be of the same color! Such as 1 & 9, 6 & 14, and so forth. IMO, It makes it harder to see the edge of the head ball.

A simple courtesy racking procedure! IMO, this would be a good racking procedure to adopt. Proper Etiquette thing. Whitey

beatle

Verified Member
i always put balls that can confuse him when i rack in the front. it is fair as he can do the same. if he doesnt then i get an advantage, also many times he doesnt say anything but it bothers him and causes him to not play as well.

i also always spot a solid with the number up so he doent have a reference point to aim at. or a stripe with all white where his aiming point will be. he can do the same as well.
it is part of the psychological aspect of the game. it isnt cheating and may not be what someone else wants how the game is going to go.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
i always put balls that can confuse him when i rack in the front. it is fair as he can do the same. if he doesnt then i get an advantage, also many times he doesnt say anything but it bothers him and causes him to not play as well.

i also always spot a solid with the number up so he doent have a reference point to aim at. or a stripe with all white where his aiming point will be. he can do the same as well. it is part of the psychological aspect of the game. it isnt cheating and may not be what someone else wants how the game is going to go.

I have seen some players, after knowing to which side his opponent will break to, place either the solid and the striped green balls or the solid and the striped blue balls as the top two balls in a one-pocket rack depending on the color of the cloth. This is apparently done to make it more difficult for the breaker to focus his aim at where the color of the two balls touch together on his opening shot.

I have also seen where some players will always purposely spot a solid with the number up on top. This is apparently done to obscure any aiming point for his opponent.

I know in either case its my opponent's hope that I break bad or miss the shot. In either case, when I see this, I immediately think one thought and only one thought, THIS GUY IS A F***ING NIT!

beatle

Verified Member
that is me for sure. but i am betting more than you ever will and thats not a nit.
and if i was playing you which i wouldn't be, i would do it even more to irritate you as irritated players miss easy shots and get even more irritated.

and you as the opponent have every right to ask for the balls to be put up randomly. if you dont it is your decision.

i am talking gambling in the poolroom. not playing in a tournament of friends.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
that is me for sure. but i am betting more than you ever will and thats not a nit.
and if i was playing you which i wouldn't be, i would do it even more to irritate you as irritated players miss easy shots and get even more irritated.

and you as the opponent have every right to ask for the balls to be put up randomly. if you dont it is your decision.

i am talking gambling in the poolroom. not playing in a tournament of friends.

I read your quote. Quite interesting. In a nut shell, the justification for using your special ploys and I quote you, "...the psychological aspect of the game. it isn't cheating..." is because your betting more than I ever will and therefore your not a nit. So that straightened me out. :sorry Your not a nit. Your a shark. :eek: Next time my one and only immediate thought will be, "THIS GUY IS A F***ING SHARK!

beatle

Verified Member
thanks JR. you went from a derogatory to a complimentary remark.

beatle

Verified Member
mike you would have if you were betting high and after tapping them down he fired that okey dokie right in for the win. if you set that shot up right its about 5 times easier to make.
or he put up a spot shot sometime for the game with the number lined up with where to hit and he needed that to make it more often.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
pool in general is about mental strength more than anything else and to be honest I work real hard not to show my opponent when I am bothered as it potentially gives away a tell. this is gambling so I don't worry to much about people trying to find an advantage where they can find it and if some one does something that pisses me off enough I don't need to play them again