Do You Owe A Ball If You Don't Owe A Ball?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Last evening I mischaracterized this situation to TD. I watched it again and now believe nobody except Gentile was at fault. Since I am an equal opportunity type imbecile I'll show the dumb thing Gentile did:). In his partial defense, Jay Helfert did say that he had been up all night gambling and they actually had to send someone to his room to get him for this early morning match with SVB.

Breaking for game 3, Gentile's first dumb move. Do you see anything wrong? Yep, there's a coin on the table (from the last game) near the pocket he's breaking to:

CG's Break.jpg

He breaks, sells out the corner ball and SVB runs 3 balls and misses. Then Gentile runs 3 balls and misses. At this point Gentile spots up the ball he mistakenly thinks he owes:

CG's Spotted Ball.jpg

It's not onscreen (you can hear it) but SVB presumably questions Gentile about why he's spotting the ball. Gentile seems to assure SVB that he owed one.

SVB Inquires.jpg

The resulting layout after Gentile spotted the 4 ball in error:

The Result.jpg

Nine shots into the game and CG's second turn at the table, and neither player can remember if anyone fouled and owes a ball or not. All Gentile had done to this point was break. His next inning he ran 3 balls and missed. The coin should have been seen and removed before the balls were broken. Oh well.

Dennis

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Does NOT owe a ball. Coins are "reminders" for BOTH players. Yes, it was Chris's fault. Normally the "debate" is trying to get a player to PAY the ball owed.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I had a guy try put a ball up he said he owed because it blocked a possible shot in the stack. He was willing to lose a ball he didn't owe.
In this case Chris was probably just mentally fatigued. This game can drain your brain.