The once in a lifetime shot?

John Brumback

Verified Member
I was playin some one pocket a couple of weeks ago and I spotted the "Jersey Red Shot" First time I ever tried it during a game.

Yep you guessed it..I made it:lol I might not ever shoot it again tho...

Just wondering how many of you here have made that shot in a game? John B.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I was playin some one pocket a couple of weeks ago and I spotted the "Jersey Red Shot" First time I ever tried it during a game.

Hey John, it's great to see you post here. We all know you view the goings on but we rarely get the pleasure of your input. Thanks.

Many years ago my brother who is 15 years my senior, was on a basketball court with several friends who were taking half court shots. My brother was not then nor was he ever a decent basketball player but when it was his turn to the amazement of all, he made the shot on the first attempt. "Shoot it again! Shoot it again!" He walked away. My brother is a smart guy. :)

Tom

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I have made the shot a few times in games but missed it far more often. It has a lot of subtleties to it and I have never taken the time in practice to work them out. A friend of mine makes it a high percentage of the time.

Years ago while playing my long time and dearly departed friend, 'Side Spin' Jim Dougherty, we were down to the last ball when he spied the opportunity to shoot this famous shot. He shot it, hit it well and didn't make it but put it in the jaws of his pocket leaving the cue ball a few inches up on the side rail. I looked at this and tried the teat-to-teat double bank that takes place actually inside the jaws of the pocket. Don't you know I made it. A third friend of ours who had walked in just in time to see Jim's shot followed by mine couldn't believe his eyes. Neither could I.

unoperro

Verified Member
I have played a number of times. Some good,some not so good:p
My once in a lifetime is object frozen on end rail a diamond from opponents pocket. Cueball a diamond away a balls width off the cushion. 4 rails back to my pocket. Fired it in. Guy I was playing asked"what just happened?". The raiilbirds loved it. I have never made it practicing. I never play it in a game because I almost always sell something out. That 1 time though;):D:);):D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Here's one I lucked in a few months ago. Still don't know exactly what happened.
I hit the reverse shot pretty good, less chance of a scratch if you're comfortable with it.

Attachments

• ScreenShot.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
We have a 5.00 NFL football pool every week at the pool room. Whomever picks the most winners win. I never play it. Sucker bet... Last year i'm feelin froggy and chip in my 5 bucks. Win it the first time. 840 bucks. Next week the first thing the guy does is bring me a sheet over...I say, nah, i'm good and never played it again...lol He says I don't know how you won, you picked all the wrong teams....lol :eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Mr. slomoholic or whatever his name is did a nice job filming some of these shots, he showed the difference in the hit necessary when the CB is higher up the table. Very interesting stuff.
I have a friend without arms who makes these shots very well indeed.
He is BTW the most amazing thing in pool because of the ability he has.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Hey John, it's great to see you post here. We all know you view the goings on but we rarely get the pleasure of your input. Thanks.

Many years ago my brother who is 15 years my senior, was on a basketball court with several friends who were taking half court shots. My brother was not then nor was he ever a decent basketball player but when it was his turn to the amazement of all, he made the shot on the first attempt. "Shoot it again! Shoot it again!" He walked away. My brother is a smart guy. :)

Tom

My ex-wife thought it would be cute to buy me lottery tickets for Christmas because she knows how I hate the lottery. I "won" $12. Winner for life!

Skin

Verified Member
We have a 5.00 NFL football pool every week at the pool room. Whomever picks the most winners win. I never play it. Sucker bet... Last year i'm feelin froggy and chip in my 5 bucks. Win it the first time. 840 bucks. Next week the first thing the guy does is bring me a sheet over...I say, nah, i'm good and never played it again...lol He says I don't know how you won, you picked all the wrong teams....lol :eek:

I got talked into buying into a football pool - for the first and only time - at work some years ago. It was supposed to pay $100 per quarter. I won the first quarter.

Monday morning the pool operator comes by and says, "Here's your computer". I told him the pool pays $100 per quarter. He said, yeah, but not for the first quarter. You get a computer for that.

Turns out the guy had been trying to sell that computer for a long time and nobody would buy it so he used the pool to get his cash for it. Hell, I never could figure out how to use it and I couldn't get anybody to buy it, either. :)

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
My ex-wife thought it would be cute to buy me lottery tickets for Christmas because she knows how I hate the lottery. I "won" $12. Winner for life!

Yeah John. The same thing happened to me at the horse races. Won my first race and that was it for me. I said to myself, "This was too easy. I could easily get addicted to this game like these other suckers." I kicked back a few beers and waited for my friends to empty out, which they did, and I have never bet the ponies again. I'm a lifetime winner at the track. How many can say that with an honest face? Pool has been my game. I don't need any others.

Tom

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
The once in a lifetime shot?

I wouldn't know. I stick to the basics. I don't try all these fancy shots 😜😂😉😳.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I got talked into buying into a football pool - for the first and only time - at work some years ago. It was supposed to pay $100 per quarter. I won the first quarter.

Monday morning the pool operator comes by and says, "Here's your computer". I told him the pool pays $100 per quarter. He said, yeah, but not for the first quarter. You get a computer for that.

Turns out the guy had been trying to sell that computer for a long time and nobody would buy it so he used the pool to get his cash for it. Hell, I never could figure out how to use it and I couldn't get anybody to buy it, either. :)

The look on the face in your avatar is perfect for this story. :D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The look on the face in your avatar is perfect for this story. :D

Brady Berman had a fantasy 9-ball site for a while in which you could pick $X worth of players and win prizes -- presumably donated by his sponsors-- based upon the total of your picks' finishes.

One tournament the first place prize was a tournament poster signed by all the participants. Second place was a cue -- don't remember what kind -- allegedly valued at about $500. I win the damned thing, so I get a piece of paper -- which a lot of people would value, but it's not my "thing" -- instead of a cue.

Couple of weeks go by and nothing in the mail. I contact Brady and a couple of weeks after that I receive the poster... unsigned.

Contact again, finally get the signed item. (I'll bring it to DCC and let everyone interested flip for it or something... a freebee.)

Next tournament first place is a cue, second place an Instroke case. Again I want second place, and that's what I get. Well it's ten years later, and I'm still waiting. :mad:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

If its shot I'm thinkin' of Jersey Red was talking about it allot at Janscos.

Skin

Verified Member
Mr. slomoholic or whatever his name is did a nice job filming some of these shots, he showed the difference in the hit necessary when the CB is higher up the table. Very interesting stuff.
I have a friend without arms who makes these shots very well indeed.
He is BTW the most amazing thing in pool because of the ability he has.

This, Rod?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v-1IW6ThMQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's another good one.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E-hBICGm5No" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Several years ago I was playing a black guy in Milwaukee that made it three times during our four hour gambling session. I need to learn how to quit hanging up balls:frus

Last edited: