Mrs. Walter Tevis

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I had seen Jamie Griggs Tevis' book advertised on Amazon, My Life With The Hustler a few months ago, so I quickly ordered it. It was a good book-- mostly a diary type presentation of her children's home life and times with Walter from the beginning to end. I'd expected more about Walter himself, but it was more of a "we went here and did this" type of narrative. There were some interesting stories about Tevis, and also some good interviews I'd never read.

I was surprised to read that they had spent many years in Athens, Ohio (my birthplace) where Walter taught writing at Ohio University. After he died in 1984, she stayed on there for many years.

At any rate, her address was included in the book, so I sat down and wrote her a letter, telling her how much her husband had meant to pool and pool players in general, and how his books had affected me specifically.

Sadly I just found out yesterday that Mrs. Tevis had died in 2006 at age 76. She had a very interesting life, and later had become a decent writer herself. I'm sorry I never had the pleasure of meeting her. I suspect that she was one of those saintly women that seem to be behind many celebrities. We in pool certainly owe her a debt of gratitude.

Doc