Jack Foreaker - 3C Bill; anyone?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
While researching Harold Worst, I came across this interesting story. I’m wondering if any of you guys, especially 3C Bill, has ever heard of this guy? This was from a Sports Illustrated article entitled “The Pool Hustlers” from 3-20-61. The Harold Worst story must have taken place in 1956:

But the name that strikes genuine fright into the hearts of present-day hustlers is Jack Foreaker of Detroit. Foreaker is one of the few players who hustle three-cushion billiards, a game of trapezoids and parallelograms so complicated that it is not even attempted by the average pockets player. Legend—and Foreaker—have it that he once made a standing offer to play the brilliant Willie Hoppe for 510,000 and Hoppe would not take him up on it. Nor could Foreaker get satisfaction in the regular tournaments, since he was barred from official matches because of some misadventures in his past. This reduced Foreaker to hustling, at which he became such a name that hardly anyone would play him and he was forced to offer huge handicaps or play left-handed.

Harold Worst remembers Foreaker well. "When I was 17, a sponsor took me to a three-cushion match in Chicago just for the experience. He gave me $50 side money and told me to play with it, but not to play a guy named Foreaker because I had no chance against him and neither did anybody else. So I walk into Ben-singer's [sic] pool hall and a guy walks right up to me and says, 'You want to play?' I said, 'I'll play you three-cushion for $25.' He says, 'O.K., I'll play you 25 points—13 points left-handed and 12 points right-handed.' Well, I had just got through playing left-handed for eight months so it hit me just right. He walked over to the rack to get a cue, and I was standing there waiting for him and a guy came strolling right past me—a real poolroom detective—and without breaking stride or changing his expression he said out of the corner of his mouth, 'Foreaker!' And he kept right on walking by. So I ducked out. At that time Foreaker was the greatest left-handed right-hander in the game. He would have slaughtered me."

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
While researching Harold Worst, I came across this interesting story. I’m wondering if any of you guys, especially 3C Bill, has ever heard of this guy? This was from a Sports Illustrated article entitled “The Pool Hustlers” from 3-20-61. The Harold Worst story must have taken place in 1956:

But the name that strikes genuine fright into the hearts of present-day hustlers is Jack Foreaker of Detroit. Foreaker is one of the few players who hustle three-cushion billiards, a game of trapezoids and parallelograms so complicated that it is not even attempted by the average pockets player. Legend—and Foreaker—have it that he once made a standing offer to play the brilliant Willie Hoppe for 510,000 and Hoppe would not take him up on it. Nor could Foreaker get satisfaction in the regular tournaments, since he was barred from official matches because of some misadventures in his past. This reduced Foreaker to hustling, at which he became such a name that hardly anyone would play him and he was forced to offer huge handicaps or play left-handed.

Harold Worst remembers Foreaker well. "When I was 17, a sponsor took me to a three-cushion match in Chicago just for the experience. He gave me $50 side money and told me to play with it, but not to play a guy named Foreaker because I had no chance against him and neither did anybody else. So I walk into Ben-singer's [sic] pool hall and a guy walks right up to me and says, 'You want to play?' I said, 'I'll play you three-cushion for $25.' He says, 'O.K., I'll play you 25 points—13 points left-handed and 12 points right-handed.' Well, I had just got through playing left-handed for eight months so it hit me just right. He walked over to the rack to get a cue, and I was standing there waiting for him and a guy came strolling right past me—a real poolroom detective—and without breaking stride or changing his expression he said out of the corner of his mouth, 'Foreaker!' And he kept right on walking by. So I ducked out. At that time Foreaker was the greatest left-handed right-hander in the game. He would have slaughtered me."

Doc; Jack Foreacker, alias, "Scarface" was supposedly involved with the infamous, "Purple Gang" of Detroit. He was well known around Detroit and the Midwest region as a VERY-Good player for money, He was in fact, barred from several tournaments because of his checkered background.

The man who taught me how to play, "Ernie Presto" said he didn't fear many players during his era. He had a gigantic personality, along with being huge in stature, which was also intimidating.

I never saw him play, before my time, unfortunately. By all accounts he was the REAL deal!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

frmn

Verified Member
About ten years ago someone gave me copies of some old pool stories and I read the one about Jack Foreaker. It really struck me how somebody that 1954 World 3 cushion Champ Harold Worst stayed away from I had never heard anybody talk about before. I tried asking oldtimers but nobody had any info. Strange how there are no stories about this guy.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
About ten years ago someone gave me copies of some old pool stories and I read the one about Jack Foreaker. It really struck me how somebody that 1954 World 3 cushion Champ Harold Worst stayed away from I had never heard anybody talk about before. I tried asking oldtimers but nobody had any info. Strange how there are no stories about this guy.

Sounds a bit like a three cushion equivalent to Emmitt Blankenship -- an early pool champion who fell afoul of the BCA and was banned from competition.

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Not all that surprising frmn, I was 20 yrs. old in 1954, and I had never even heard of 'BILLIARDS'...much less, Jack Foreaker..:p :p :p

PS..Try going back to the 30's...Surely someone must have heard of him ! :rolleyes: