The Last "Westie"

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
For all the venerable pool historians, I have a report on the legendary Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas, of 711 poolroom fame. I just spent the weekend with him up at Saratoga Race Track in upstate NY. Jimmy was a fixture of the old 711 poolroom in NYC in the days of Boston Shorty, Jersey Red and Johnny Irvolino. Often considered the smartest hustler of those smart hustlers, Jimmy was a terrific player himself, playing maybe the 8 ball under Shorty, when Shorty was Shorty; but Jimmy's true love was horse racing. He went on to become one of the best handicappers in the country, and of course won big money along the way. As good as he played pool, pool was just a means to drum up money to get to the track. For our short stint at the track, Jimmy came through again, winning about $3500 for the two days. He also treated all of us to about $1200 worth of fancy meals.
I was with my room mate, John Bosnak, and Jimmy brought along an old friend of his who had just been released from a 25 to life prison sentence up in Comstock NY. (He did the whole 25 years.) His name was Warren "Chief" Schurman, and he is the last of the "Westies." For those who don't know about the "Westies," they were a wild, violent Irish gang from Hell's Kitchen on the West Side of Manhattan. Some of their most famous (or infamous), adventures included kidnapping Carlo Gambino's nephew, and the murder of Big Jim McBratney by John Gotti. Some other "Westie" notables include, Richie C (Chaisson), Mickey Featherstone, Jimmy Coonan, and Big Jim McBratney. All the old "Westies" are bye-bye, mostly murdered, except for the Chief. I guess that long 25 year stretch is a big reason why he is the last living "Westie."
Chief turned out to be a personable, intelligent, fun-loving sort, and the weekend went by rapidly. For the pool connection to this story, Chief and Richie C spent a lot of time hanging out in Ames and 711 poolrooms, and Chief was good friends with Brooklyn Jimmy way back then.
The Chief composed and sent a letter to the famous NY Post syndicated columnist, Cindy Adams in 2005 while still in jail. I read a copy of the letter and the Chief gave me permission to publish it on my site for posterity, and also for some false, "Westie" psuedo-history clarification.

Link to the Chief's letter:
http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=450#TheLast

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Great post Fred...

Great post Fred...

fred bentivegna said:
For all the venerable pool historians, I have a report on the legendary Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas, of 711 poolroom fame. I just spent the weekend with him up at Saratoga Race Track in upstate NY. Jimmy was a fixture of the old 711 poolroom in NYC in the days of Boston Shorty, Jersey Red and Johnny Irvolino. Often considered the smartest hustler of those smart hustlers, Jimmy was a terrific player himself, playing maybe the 8 ball under Shorty, when Shorty was Shorty; but Jimmy's true love was horse racing. He went on to become one of the best handicappers in the country, and of course won big money along the way. As good as he played pool, pool was just a means to drum up money to get to the track. For our short stint at the track, Jimmy came through again, winning about $3500 for the two days. He also treated all of us to about $1200 worth of fancy meals.
I was with my room mate, John Bosnak, and Jimmy brought along an old friend of his who had just been released from a 25 to life prison sentence up in Comstock NY. (He did the whole 25 years.) His name was Warren "Chief" Schurman, and he is the last of the "Westies." For those who don't know about the "Westies," they were a wild, violent Irish gang from Hell's Kitchen on the West Side of Manhattan. Some of their most famous (or infamous), adventures included kidnapping Carlo Gambino's nephew, and the murder of Big Jim McBratney by John Gotti. Some other "Westie" notables include, Richie C (Chaisson), Mickey Featherstone, Jimmy Coonan, and Big Jim McBratney. All the old "Westies" are bye-bye, mostly murdered, except for the Chief. I guess that long 25 year stretch is a big reason why he is the last living "Westie."
Chief turned out to be a personable, intelligent, fun-loving sort, and the weekend went by rapidly. For the pool connection to this story, Chief and Richie C spent a lot of time hanging out in Ames and 711 poolrooms, and Chief was good friends with Brooklyn Jimmy way back then.
The Chief composed and sent a letter to the famous NY Post syndicated columnist, Cindy Adams in 2005 while still in jail. I read a copy of the letter and the Chief gave me permission to publish it on my site for posterity, and also for some false, "Westie" psuedo-history clarification.

Beard

Very well done Fred. The Chief's letter really made for some great reading. I only have one question...How did a guy named "Shurman" become part of an Irish gang ? Most of the successful Jewish underworld (Rothstein et al) were used as book keeper's, loan sharks, oddsmakers, etc. By other ethnic groups,...and they were usually highly "disposable".

This is not a "gig" as I am just curious. I really enjoy those kinds of insights into the old Eastern gang mentality, be it Irish or Italian or Jewish.

Did the Chief know guys like "Sammy the Bull", or other world class rats ? I knew his son Gerry, (aka Sammy J.) during his brief tenure in Phx. He got busted here, along with his dad, for "dealing"... For a guy in the witness protection program...the Bull was pretty viisible when he moved here.
Even though your post may be barely "pool related", you impress me more with your aquaintanceship with those characters, than you do with knowing Mexican Johnny and Efren Reyes..:rolleyes:

Remind me to share with you, sometime, the story of Al Kallman, (NY nickname "Shrimpy)...my partner in the Circus Billiards in San Jose. (Frank the Barber will remember)
I loved the man. He was a real father figure to me, and travelled in the same circles back in NY, as some of the guys you mentioned. He did some serious time, rather than "roll over" on some "connected guys", in a capitol crime trial. He was well respected in NY... He knew Gravano as a kid, long before he made his bones.
When RFK was apointed Atty. General of the US, He got us busted us for bookmaking. (we were real hardened "criminals" [sic])..But, Al's NY past came back to haunt him...He took his life,(at 51) rather than do some serious time. As a first offender, all I got were some back breaking fines, and the loss of the license which was in my name.
That was the main reason I split for Texas....Sad tmes for us all, our families were very close.

El Sand Duck <---may have found common ground with El Beardo..:D

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not Jewish

Not Jewish

SJDinPHX said:
Very well done Fred. The Chief's letter really made for some great reading. I only have one question...How did a guy named "Shurman" become part of an Irish gang ? Most of the successful Jewish underworld (Rothstein et al) were used as book keeper's, loan sharks, oddsmakers, etc. By other ethnic groups,...and they were usually highly "disposable".

This is not a "gig" as I am just curious. I really enjoy those kinds of insights into the old Eastern gang mentality, be it Irish or Italian or Jewish.

Did the Chief know guys like "Sammy the Bull", or other world class rats ? I knew his son Gerry, (aka Sammy J.) during his brief tenure in Phx. He got busted here, along with his dad, for "dealing"... For a guy in the witness protection program...the Bull was pretty viisible when he moved here.
Even though your post may be barely "pool related", you impress me more with your aquaintanceship with those characters, than you do with knowing Mexican Johnny and Efren Reyes..:rolleyes:

Remind me to share with you, sometime, the story of Al Kallman, (NY nickname "Shrimpy)...my partner in the Circus Billiards in San Jose. (Frank the Barber will remember)
I loved the man. He was a real father figure to me, and travelled in the same circles back in NY, as some of the guys you mentioned. He did some serious time, rather than "roll over" on some "connected guys", in a capitol crime trial. He was well respected in NY... He knew Gravano as a kid, long before he made his bones.
When RFK was apointed Atty. General of the US, He got us busted us for bookmaking. (we were real hardened "criminals" [sic])..But, Al's NY past came back to haunt him...He took his life,(at 51) rather than do some serious time. As a first offender, all I got were some back breaking fines, and the loss of the license which was in my name.
That was the main reason I split for Texas....Sad tmes for us all, our families were very close.

El Sand Duck <---may have found common ground with El Beardo..:D

Thanks Duck. The Chief was actually Irish and German, the minimum requirement for enrollment in the Westies. Plus his name was Schurman, not Shurman.

Keep in mind the Chief was in the joint when Sammy the Bull was doing his thing. Of course the Chief knew all the Wise Guys, otherwise how would they have known who to kidnap?

He told me a great story about a Jewish bookmaker that they had grabbed many years ago. When the bookie called his wife and told her to bring 50k and ransom him out, his wife began to haggle on the phone. She offered 20k. The husband frantically ordered her to come up with the whole 50. She kept "hondeling", (that's Jewish for haggling), and hondeling. Finally the Chief snapped and asked her if she would come up with 10k, then how about 5k, then how about one buck? He had realized that wifey had no plans on redeeming her spouse for any price, she was hoping that they would whack him! So the mischievous lot that they were, they told her they were sending hubbie back home for nix, nada, so that he could deal personally with her treacherous ass.

Beard

I have it from a very good source (Igor Cassini, AKA the NY social columnist, Cholly Knickerbocker) that The Champion of Justice, RFK was in the ambulance that was taking Marilyn Monroe to the hospital after he chickened out on the hit that he and his bro had put out on her. She was about to go public about her affair with the both of them. A couple of Chicago whacksters (now all dead) were assigned to stuff Tuinals (Barbituates)up her rectum after an initial Mickey Finn had knocked her out. Unfortunately, Marilyn died on the way to the hospital and RFK again panicked, and rerouted the ambulance back to the house and left her back on the bed. That story answers many of the questions regarding how she "didnt look right laying on the bed, etc," that the conspiracy people have brought up.
A good friend, a former pool player, Little Frankie Filerino lived with Igor in NY for a couple of years before his death.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fred bentivegna said:
So the mischievous lot that they were, they told her they were sending hubbie back home for nix, nada, so that he could deal personally with her treacherous ass.

Beard
dont you wish you had free range with some of your ex'es.:) just askin:p

timdog24

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Great post Freddy. Being Irish, and born and raised in NYC, although too young to have been around back then, I have heard tons of stories about Richie C and the Chief, and was always fascinated by them and how different things were in the poolrooms of NY 30-40 yrs ago. You always hear about the Mafia and how powerful they all are, but these guys would kidnap high ranking, supposedly untouchable wiseguys and hold em for ransom, among other things.
I have also read that fairy tale book "Tough Guy" and a lot in the book just didn't add up to what I had heard from guys that knew them well. It's great to hear the real story on Eddie Maloney from a stand up guy like the Chief. Glad to hear that he finished his bid and got his freedom back. I recently got "out" myself, although nowhere near that kind of stretch. I can't wait to tell a couple old timers at the poolroom that he is out and doing well.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bump with pics

Bump with pics

I'm bumping my original post because I had forgotten to include a few pics of the trip.

Beard

Attachments

• IMG_0032 (600 x 400).jpg
    IMG_0032 (600 x 400).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0031 (600 x 400).jpg
    IMG_0031 (600 x 400).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0011 (600 x 400).jpg
    IMG_0011 (600 x 400).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0

Deeman

Verified Member
Freddie,

The Chief is pretty well spoken for a degenerate criminal, don't you think? I like his take on the culture of "hangers on" all with a "story" to tell.

Spending some time with him had to be entertaining.

Thanks for sharing this.

DeeMan

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
"No one contemplates their own ugliness for too long. Some not at all."

I agree, Deeman. This was my favorite - quite profound and thought-provoking.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Westies In The News

Westies In The News

Beard

They're back:):D:p

New York Times said:
Gang Said to Have Been Vanquished in ’80s Makes Cameo in Extortion Case

By JOSEPH GOLDSTEIN

Published: December 2, 2012

When federal prosecutors accused three men of a loan-sharking scheme last week, the authorities vividly described how the men used threats of violence to ensure that they would be repaid.

One debtor reported that someone fired a gun at his car as he was backing out of his driveway in Queens, according to court filings. Another debtor said two of the men, Daniel Hanley and his associate, would display firearms when he met with them to pay back a piece of what he owed.

But the most tantalizing accusation was not of violence but of affiliation: prosecutors described Mr. Hanley, 47, as a member of the Westies, the Irish-American gang in Hell’s Kitchen that specialized in extortion and in dismembering their victims.

When Mr. Hanley, who is in federal custody in the case charged with extortion, heard that he was being labeled a member of the Westies, “he was incredulous,” said his lawyer, Marion Seltzer.

She added, “It’s hard to be a member of an organization that no longer exists.”

The federal authorities claimed in 1988 that they had vanquished the organization, so the government’s assertion that the gang was still a going concern has added a twist to a case that otherwise would most likely have attracted little notice.

T. J. English, the author of a book about the gang, “The Westies,” described as “totally absurd” any claim that the Westies still existed.

The leadership of the organization, Mr. English said, was taken down in a trial in the late 1980s. Soon after the gang lost its key figures like James Coonan, its leader, to prison, it lost its turf on the West Side of Manhattan to gentrification.

“The environment that gave rise to the Westies is totally altered and changed,” Mr. English said. “Hell’s Kitchen of 2012 is not the same Hell’s Kitchen of 1975 or 1985.”

“The whole cultural framework” has changed, he said.

But he said the government might “throw it into the press release and stir things up.”

Indeed, the headline of the news release about the arrests that was issued by the United States attorney’s office mentioned the Westies.Irene Hanley, Mr. Hanley’s wife, also characterized the government’s claim that her husband was a member of the Westies as absurd.

“It’s absolutely baffling to us,” she said in a brief telephone interview. “I haven’t heard of the Westies in years. They all must be dead by now.”

Mr. Hanley’s ties, if any, to the neighborhood of Hell’s Kitchen remain unclear.

His wife said that he grew up in Queens and that the family had lived in TriBeCa for two decades before moving to Cliffside Park, N.J., in recent years.

Mr. Hanley served a prison term for robbery in the mid-1980s, according to prison records; details of that crime were not immediately available.

The government’s claim of Mr. Hanley’s gang affiliation appears toward the bottom of a letter by an assistant United States attorney in Brooklyn requesting that the court order Mr. Hanley and his two co-defendants held without bail.

“According to a witness, defendant Daniel Hanley is a member of the Westies,” says the court filing, signed by the federal prosecutor, SreeVamshi C. Reddy.

Robert Nardoza, the spokesman for the United States attorney’s office in Brooklyn, declined to comment further.

A law enforcement official said Mr. Hanley had described himself as a member of the Westies to one of the victims.

It was the second time in a year that rumors of the gang’s continued existence had received widespread attention.

An article in The New York Post in February declared, “The Westies are back,” after a nephew of two one-time Westies members was arrested last December, with the authorities saying he had been unloading nearly 250 pounds of marijuana from a private plane.

But the government’s court papers in that case did not mention the Westies, and the nephew’s lawyer said his client had no affiliation with the group. The nephew, John Bokun, who is in his early 30s, has since pleaded guilty and is awaiting sentencing.

Gerald L. Shargel, the defense lawyer who represented Mr. Coonan, the Westies’ leader, at trial 25 years ago, contested the idea that the Westies were ever an organized gang.

“The Westies historically were just a bunch of tough guys on the West Side of Manhattan, and it was convenient for the police to label them as Westies,” Mr. Shargel said, adding, “There were no made members, no ranks, no structure.”

beatle

Verified Member
Jimmy was about the best at the lemon as anyone. He got knocked a lot but loved to stall as long as he could.

nuthunter

I'm bumping my original post because I had forgotten to include a few pics of the trip.

Beard

Nice pic's Frisco!! And excellent reading as usual.

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Media

Media

Pathetic ! The media is out of control once again. :frus
Rod.

Out of control?

Try the D.A.'s Office. They seem to be the prime mover here. Some 'ol boy lookin' get big credit for little work by blowing things out of proportion.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Thanks Duck. The Chief was actually Irish and German, the minimum requirement for enrollment in the Westies. Plus his name was Schurman, not Shurman.

Keep in mind the Chief was in the joint when Sammy the Bull was doing his thing. Of course the Chief knew all the Wise Guys, otherwise how would they have known who to kidnap?

He told me a great story about a Jewish bookmaker that they had grabbed many years ago. When the bookie called his wife and told her to bring 50k and ransom him out, his wife began to haggle on the phone. She offered 20k. The husband frantically ordered her to come up with the whole 50. She kept "hondeling", (that's Jewish for haggling), and hondeling. Finally the Chief snapped and asked her if she would come up with 10k, then how about 5k, then how about one buck? He had realized that wifey had no plans on redeeming her spouse for any price, she was hoping that they would whack him! So the mischievous lot that they were, they told her they were sending hubbie back home for nix, nada, so that he could deal personally with her treacherous ass.

Beard

I have it from a very good source (Igor Cassini, AKA the NY social columnist, Cholly Knickerbocker) that The Champion of Justice, RFK was in the ambulance that was taking Marilyn Monroe to the hospital after he chickened out on the hit that he and his bro had put out on her. She was about to go public about her affair with the both of them. A couple of Chicago whacksters (now all dead) were assigned to stuff Tuinals (Barbituates)up her rectum after an initial Mickey Finn had knocked her out. Unfortunately, Marilyn died on the way to the hospital and RFK again panicked, and rerouted the ambulance back to the house and left her back on the bed. That story answers many of the questions regarding how she "didnt look right laying on the bed, etc," that the conspiracy people have brought up.
A good friend, a former pool player, Little Frankie Filerino lived with Igor in NY for a couple of years before his death.

A Question, Freddie. What color are Tuinals? Supposedly the inside of her rectum was purple. I didn't verify this by checking it myself but it has been reported.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
A Question, Freddie. What color are Tuinals? Supposedly the inside of her rectum was purple. I didn't verify this by checking it myself but it has been reported.

I dont really remember. There were so many different pills then. But I think they were dark.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
More on the Chief

More on the Chief

The Chief, Warren Schurman will be included in my book, TEOPH, and that would include this little amusing tid-bit.

Chief told me a great story about a Jewish bookmaker that they had grabbed many years ago. When the bookie called his wife and told her to bring 50k and ransom him out, his wife began to haggle on the phone. She offered 20k. The husband frantically ordered her to come up with the whole 50. She kept hondeling, (that's Jewish for haggling), and hondeling. Finally the Chief snapped and asked her if she would come up with 10k, then how about 5k, then how about one buck? He had finally realized that wifey had no plans on redeeming her spouse for any price, she was hoping that they would whack him! So the mischievous lot that they were, they told her they were sending hubbie back home for nix, nada, nothing, so that he could deal personally with her treacherous ass.

Beard