Make It Happen...Observations

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Wow!!!

sweated 3 matches so far,

Great camera work, stream is great, audio levels are spot on. Billy, Ken, and Danny & Scott are doing brilliant commentary. I do miss Grady.

I dont think the 10' table is making much difference(so far jury is still out on that).

the shot clock is very good, keeps the pace good but isn't having a negative effect on the players, Shannon fouled once(looked accidental).

Ref's Ken and the other gentleman(dont know his name) are right there with the rest when the players need it and have done very good. One time the other gentleman(not Ken) walked up to take balls out of the hole in front of Shane's shot(I think that too was a accident).

The matches so far have been pretty good, race to 3 is short, but with the round robin format it makes sense.

Pat of course is doing a great job as always.

My only complaint is I'm in Germany and I wont get to bed until 6am....again.LOL

I hope this event is successful and there are more like it in the future, it showcases great players, not a long grind match(those are cool too-this is nice for a change) hopefully we see some long uptable games.

the break as billy noted is any ones guess right now, by the end they will all be using the same break. Which leads me to a question, for the old timers:

Back in the mid 80's I played lots on the 10' snooker box, this one old guy told me about 10' box's and one pocket one day, he was in his 80's then, dont recall his name, he would be 110 years old now. He was the real deal, I remember him plane as day telling me that back in the day-probably the 40's or 50's the best and only break was off the bottom ball like a 14.1 break and freeze the rock on the head cushion. I would imagine that was back in the mud ball days on slow cloth too. Cory did that once tonight with a good result-cory being Cory(not a knock) didnt do that on his next break.

So the Question is was that "The" break back then? now with faster everything that plan for the break might be out the window, but was the 14.1 style break anything here anyone remembers?

thanks again,

Eric

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Wow!!!

sweated 3 matches so far,

Great camera work, stream is great, audio levels are spot on. Billy, Ken, and Danny & Scott are doing brilliant commentary. I do miss Grady.

I dont think the 10' table is making much difference(so far jury is still out on that).

the shot clock is very good, keeps the pace good but isn't having a negative effect on the players, Shannon fouled once(looked accidental).

Ref's Ken and the other gentleman(dont know his name) are right there with the rest when the players need it and have done very good. One time the other gentleman(not Ken) walked up to take balls out of the hole in front of Shane's shot(I think that too was a accident).

The matches so far have been pretty good, race to 3 is short, but with the round robin format it makes sense.

Pat of course is doing a great job as always.

My only complaint is I'm in Germany and I wont get to bed until 6am....again.LOL

I hope this event is successful and there are more like it in the future, it showcases great players, not a long grind match(those are cool too-this is nice for a change) hopefully we see some long uptable games.

the break as billy noted is any ones guess right now, by the end they will all be using the same break. Which leads me to a question, for the old timers:

Back in the mid 80's I played lots on the 10' snooker box, this one old guy told me about 10' box's and one pocket one day, he was in his 80's then, dont recall his name, he would be 110 years old now. He was the real deal, I remember him plane as day telling me that back in the day-probably the 40's or 50's the best and only break was off the bottom ball like a 14.1 break and freeze the rock on the head cushion. I would imagine that was back in the mud ball days on slow cloth too. Cory did that once tonight with a good result-cory being Cory(not a knock) didnt do that on his next break.

So the Question is was that "The" break back then? now with faster everything that plan for the break might be out the window, but was the 14.1 style break anything here anyone remembers?

thanks again,

Eric

Yes Eric, that break was used a fair amount on the 5x10's back in the day (Freddy would know better than I, precisely to what extent it was used) - but it's not, as you stated, hit like a straight pool break off the bottom ball - the way that break is hit is to split the bottom two balls, just like you split the top two balls with the traditional break - with that break you do however, as you stated, want to have the cueball end up back on the head rail.

- Ghost

PS, The old school Chicago One Pocket player from the 50's-70's who loved that break the most was 'Peaches'.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Yes Eric, that break was used a fair amount on the 5x10's back in the day (Freddy would know better than I, precisely to what extent it was used) - but it's not, as you stated, hit like a straight pool break off the bottom ball - the way that break is hit is to split the bottom two balls, just like you split the top two balls with the traditional break - with that break you do however, as you stated, want to have the cueball end up back on the head rail.

- Ghost

PS, The old school Chicago One Pocket player from the 50's-70's who loved that break the most was 'Peaches'.

thanks, its possible(probable) that i forgot what he told me about hitting the bottom ball or splitting the bottom 2 balls, makes sense to split them because the rock comes off the stack with a nicer line than just hitting the bottom ball. I wish I could remember who told me, he used to watch me play snooker on the 10', at the time that was my best game. Now its a disaster, funny how time changes things.

thanks for your answer:):)

Best
Eric

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just signed up and am watching this -- it is very entertaining. These guys make the 10' table look like a standard table. The shot clock keeps the game moving -- I like it! I'm watching Corey and Shane now.

Accustats is here & it is only 37.50 for the weekend.

http://www.accu-stats.com/

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just signed up and am watching this -- it is very entertaining. These guys make the 10' table look like a standard table. The shot clock keeps the game moving -- I like it! I'm watching Corey and Shane now.

Accustats is here & it is only 37.50 for the weekend.

http://www.accu-stats.com/
Corey just came from being behind 2 games to 0 to beat Shane 3-2. Good match to sweat! dinner break now -- next up Frost (0-2) vs Daulton (1-1)

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
i only watched the first and last match today,

My only observations today are Shannon is in a strong lead in the fashion department.

And Scott has some balls stand up in the hole and bad rolls, he is in a funk rite now. I sure hope he pulls out of it. He has broke the balls real good, and played good. The score dont reflect just how well he has played. I'm sure he will be fine, I know he is sick right now, i been there too. Scott is a champion and will be back!!

off to bed

best
eric:)

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
One more thing, I noticed it and Billy said it during the first match today "The 10' table seems to favor the best ball strikers, not the movers as much". Which makes sense cause there is less traffic and more options/area/zones etc. to get out of traps. Hard to squeeze on a 10' box. So it changes the nature of the game a lot

I have watched 6/8 matches and they have all been kinda fast, the balls are more open and the games dont last as long, the length of time allotted for each match seems to be a bit to long because the racks go so quickly. Which makes for very long breaks between matches. from my observation thus far, but its only half way.

I'll reserve(until its over) judgment but I leaning towards the idea this might be a better event on a 9' box or extend the race to 4; because the racks go by so fast.

Its great now but all day for 4 matches there has been as much waiting as watching time. so it seems, Still a fantastic production for sure, just my 3 cents,

Fatboy:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One more thing, I noticed it and Billy said it during the first match today "The 10' table seems to favor the best ball strikers, not the movers as much". Which makes sense cause there is less traffic and more options to get out of traps.

I have watched 6/8 matches and they have all been kinda fast, the balls are more open and the games dont last as long, the length of time allotted for each match seems to be a but long as there are long breaks between matches. from my observation.

I'll reserve(until its over) judgment but I leaning towards the idea this might be a better event on a 9' box or extend the race to 4; because the racks go by so fast.

Its great now but all day for 4 matches there has been as much waiting as watching time. so it seems, Still a fantastic production for sure, just my 3 cents,

Fatboy:)
I love the shot clock -- it keeps the matches moving right along. I have yet to see an extension request, but I have only caught a couple of matches. It did seem like Corey was watching the clock quite a bit, seeing that he does like to take his time, it could be bothering him a little.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
several players have asked for extensions and several players have gotten shot clock fouls (next players turn -
balls including cue ball stay where they are)
seems to me that the players do not have as much feel for the 10 foot table

as the speed control of getting perfect on a ball or frozen to the rail doesnt happen as often as it seems to me on a 9 footer

also scott hasnt been able to shoot the distance shots well whereas shane NO PROBLEM

just my .02 cents

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
several players have asked for extensions and several players have gotten shot clock fouls (next players turn -
balls including cue ball stay where they are)
seems to me that the players do not have as much feel for the 10 foot table

as the speed control of getting perfect on a ball or frozen to the rail doesnt happen as often as it seems to me on a 9 footer

also scott hasnt been able to shoot the distance shots well whereas shane NO PROBLEM

just my .02 cents
Before watching this, I might have said 60 seconds was plenty per shot, but now seeing it, I wouldn't mind a little longer than that. I think the shots that bother me (without the shot clock) the most are the ones that go on several minutes. I kind of had the feeling that for every shot that the players have to think about what to do for a bit, then 60 seconds is a little tight.

Actually, now as I think about it, I do not think the player should be required to ask for an extension -- they should just be able to run over into their extension time automatically. Of course that would nibble into their allotted extension time, but they would only be penalized if they used all of their extension time. After they have used their extension time, and they run past the 60 second shot clock, then penalize them. I like this idea, because it would eliminate a lot of the "clock watching" for many shots, which is distracting both to the player and the viewers in my opinion. I want the players to be able to think as needed comfortably for complex shots, just not excessively. It looked to me like turning to look at the clock really interrupts their thinking. Of course if they used up their extension time, then they would have to closely watch the clock to avoid penalty.

Think about the chess clock -- that chess players have to be aware of, but they do not have to check it all the time while they are in the middle of calculating a complex move. I am not suggesting a chess type of clock however, just a different way of managing the extension time and penalties, so as not to interfere as much with the natural thinking process that One Pocket requires -- keep in mind it is the creativity that draws many of us to this game in the first place. In my opinion, the format that Accustats is using for this event disrupts the creative concentration more than it needs to. I hope there is a "next time" for the shot clock, but I hope they will consider changing the way it is managed so that the clock isn't so much a part of the game.

Just my opinion

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
steve
this is the first time im aware of a shot clock in competition
if its been done before im not aware of it and for sure its not common place
i think it adds alittle excitement to "sweating the match" as the clock ticks down.
also just in case you werent aware a player can only ask for one extension per game
both players have the same pressure/distraction
perhaps a different length of time might be better ie 90 seconds for example
to give the player more time to figure out a tough situation before having to ask for an extension
the more straight forward shots never get close to the time limit

on the other hand i did feel bad for the players that didnt get a chance to shoot and had to turn the table over to thier opponent
does anyone remember if any(shot clock) fouling player won that game??

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
The shot clock seems to be ok, and not a huge issue for the players, thats what it "looks" like anyways, I like the rule that if they are down on the shot then it dont matter, the awful BUZZZ right when you pull the trigger is the ABSOLUTE WORST thing about shot clocks, they have it solved that problem.

i agree the guys dont seem to have the feel of the big box as good, Shane is playing so good right now he would be firing in long shots on a 20' box with out any problems.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
steve
this is the first time im aware of a shot clock in competition
if its been done before im not aware of it and for sure its not common place.

Didn't they have a shot clock at DCC this year? Maybe in the 9-Ball or 10-Ball? I don't think I've seen it in One-Pocket though. They may have a few bugs to work out but it's a great idea. I'd like to see it implemented at Tunica and DCC One-Pocket. Charlie Bryant might actually quit a match if he got a few violations in a game:p.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Make It Happen...Observations

Didn't they have a shot clock at DCC this year? Maybe in the 9-Ball or 10-Ball? I don't think I've seen it in One-Pocket though. They may have a few bugs to work out but it's a great idea. I'd like to see it implemented at Tunica and DCC One-Pocket. Charlie Bryant might actually quit a match if he got a few violations in a game:p.

Dennis

Not at Derby City yet

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
60 seconds seems a little too short to me. 90 or 120 might be better. The clock should not be the determining aspect in one-pocket. Excellent play should be the criterion. I realize this is a televised tournament, and they have to be careful to get everything in; but some have said the matches were finishing ahead of schedule.

Perhaps the next time, after Pat gets this experience under his belt, they'll be able to relax the time limit. One calculation might be to determine the average time that a pro takes to shoot, then use that as a basis. They could still use one extension per game.

Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
60 seconds seems a little too short to me. 90 or 120 might be better. The clock should not be the determining aspect in one-pocket. Excellent play should be the criterion. I realize this is a televised tournament, and they have to be careful to get everything in; but some have said the matches were finishing ahead of schedule.

Perhaps the next time, after Pat gets this experience under his belt, they'll be able to relax the time limit. One calculation might be to determine the average time that a pro takes to shoot, then use that as a basis. They could still use one extension per game.

Doc

Doc; For years We've using a 40 sec. shot clock for 3 cushion, with a 40 sec. extension. In this time the player has to, choose the correct shot, English, hit, speed, kisses, control cue ball, control 1st object ball, position for next shot and what side of the 3rd ball to score on! THATS ALL!

Now, I know there are in some circumstances there will be 15 balls on the table, but, REALLY, I think 60 seconds is PLENTY of time to execute the correct shot! JMHO.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
another observation
i may be alittle old fashioned....:eek:......:eek:
but i like seeing the players in vests and gentlemanly
i know we had a discussion on the dress code for a gambling match which i beleive for gambling there should be no dress code
ppv gammbling stream im undecided

Skin

Verified Member
Tournament chess matches have been played on a time clock for a long time. I'm sure some variation of what the chess folks have worked out could work with 1p. For example, if you need to limit matches to 30 minutes then give each player 15 minutes of clock time. That might work out fairly because then a player could use more time to figure out a tought situation and less time for an easy one.

Although...knowing pool players, somebody will figure out a way to stall his opponent out of time and win that way! :D

Skin