Shot clock on the TV table...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I was a little surprised to see them institute a shot clock on the TV table. I assume it was the same for all games: 40 seconds. IMO, it's unnecessary in 9-ball for the vast majority of players, and shouldn't really be used in one-pocket (unless someone is consistently dead slow). The clock use was especially surprising since it wasn't used in the hundreds of other games in the tournament-- only exclusively on the TV table.

But it really was silly in short rack banks. I've come to understand how "short" short-rack banks really is. In a race to 3 match, the winner only needs to make 15 balls! So without figuring the averages, my guess is that a typical match consists of pocketing around 20-22 balls! The matches are way too short as it is. Maybe Pat is trying to get 3-4 matches on one video.;) The matches ought to be at least races to 4. And then to add a shot clock... it just really seems to be overkill.

Some of the guys were affected by it, especially in contrast to the regular matches on the other tournament tables. I think John B. would tell you that it really hurt his concentration. That's just a guess. I haven't spoken with him about it. But the one match he lost on the TV table, the clock seemed to be bugging him.

Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I was a little surprised to see them institute a shot clock on the TV table. I assume it was the same for all games: 40 seconds. IMO, it's unnecessary in 9-ball for the vast majority of players, and shouldn't really be used in one-pocket (unless someone is consistently dead slow). The clock use was especially surprising since it wasn't used in the hundreds of other games in the tournament-- only exclusively on the TV table.

But it really was silly in short rack banks. I've come to understand how "short" short-rack banks really is. In a race to 3 match, the winner only needs to make 15 balls! So without figuring the averages, my guess is that a typical match consists of pocketing around 20-22 balls! The matches are way too short as it is. Maybe Pat is trying to get 3-4 matches on one video.;) The matches ought to be at least races to 4. And then to add a shot clock... it just really seems to be overkill.

Some of the guys were affected by it, especially in contrast to the regular matches on the other tournament tables. I think John B. would tell you that it really hurt his concentration. That's just a guess. I haven't spoken with him about it. But the one match he lost on the TV table, the clock seemed to be bugging him.

Doc

I was surprised at that also. I watched some pool Wednesday and saw a good one pocket match -Efrin-Bustamonte. They were giving them 60 seconds, but I feel exactly like you, especially on banks. Congrats to Big John Brumback on another good outing and also on the work in the commentator booth on the Alex-Richie match, which I enjoyed. Good job...

John Brumback

Verified Member
Yes I'm pissed!! At myself mostly though for falling for that crap.After I think about it,I should have just passed on the ole tv table and palyed on all them other tables that didn't have a stinkin shotclock. After all Greg S. did happen to tell me and SD last year down there, that if we ever wanted to refuse the tv table that we could,no problem. I just can't help to wonder though what would have hapened if I had just said no,I'm not playing on that table. I'm stupid for not doing it however. I like what accu stats does for pool and I like getting in the booth too,but that sucks for lack of better words.

Now I'm ready for anyone who says I take to long, listen to this........... I have 6 pockets,not one.I have 9 balls ( at times) to shoot not one. I have more shots, moves,safes and free shots than anyone that I know of by a good margin too. I have to have time to figure all my % ,that's one of the main reasons I'm the best at this game.They took that away from me on one table that they hand pick the players for. It's only 40 and then when it gets down to 10,Ken has to say 10! So I have to be ready for that too.

I'm very mad at pool right now. Might just retire now that I think about it.Sad Sad sport,I chose.It's my fault though. John B.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Yes I'm pissed!! At myself mostly though for falling for that crap.After I think about it,I should have just passed on the ole tv table and palyed on all them other tables that didn't have a stinkin shotclock. After all Greg S. did happen to tell me and SD last year down there, that if we ever wanted to refuse the tv table that we could,no problem. I just can't help to wonder though what would have hapened if I had just said no,I'm not playing on that table. I'm stupid for not doing it however. I like what accu stats does for pool and I like getting in the booth too,but that sucks for lack of better words.

Now I'm ready for anyone who says I take to long, listen to this........... I have 6 pockets,not one.I have 9 balls ( at times) to shoot not one. I have more shots, moves,safes and free shots than anyone that I know of by a good margin too. I have to have time to figure all my % ,that's one of the main reasons I'm the best at this game.They took that away from me on one table that they hand pick the players for. It's only 40 and then when it gets down to 10,Ken has to say 10! So I have to be ready for that too.

I'm very mad at pool right now. Might just retire now that I think about it.Sad Sad sport,I chose.It's my fault though. John B.

John; The ONE BIG thing you FORGOT to mention, "The rule is the SAME for EVERYONE!"

The ONLY way Pool/Billiards is going to be accepted by the media masses, is to simplify ALL that has to do with it. IMHO, banks is one of the games that seems to flow fairly quickly, especially starting with ONLY 9 balls. Looks to me bank pool players are rhythm players, because of the stroke and firm speed on many shots. I think 40 seconds is PLENTY time to do what needed in banks to shoot the correct shots! JMHO.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. BTW, The TOP 3 Cushion players around the World in MAJOR tournaments use a 50 second shot clock. If a player is one of the TOP players in the world, their objective EVERYTIME if possible, at the table is, to MANAGE ALL 3 BALLS, NOT just 2!

John Brumback

Verified Member
John; The ONE BIG thing you FORGOT to mention, "The rule is the SAME for EVERYONE!"

The ONLY way Pool/Billiards is going to be accepted by the media masses, is to simplify ALL that has to do with it. IMHO, banks is one of the games that seems to flow fairly quickly, especially starting with ONLY 9 balls. Looks to me bank pool players are rhythm players, because of the stroke and firm speed on many shots. I think 40 seconds is PLENTY time to do what needed in banks to shoot the correct shots! JMHO.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. BTW, The TOP 3 Cushion players around the World in MAJOR tournaments use a 50 second shot clock. If a player is one of the TOP players in the world, their objective EVERYTIME if possible, at the table is, to MANAGE ALL 3 BALLS, NOT just 2!

I'm not deaf and you can't read. John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Dear CatFishBreath,

You are 100% correct. 40 secs. is definitely not enough time to choose a shot playing Banks or any other game.

P.S. You take too long to shoot:):p:D.

P.Ps. Retire from what? Pool? Isn't that like getting off the chair to sit on the couch?:sorry

Gotta go work on my bathroom now, see ya later.

Take care CFB.

Dennis

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I'm not deaf and you can't read. John B.

John; Don't get SOOOOOO, defensive, by YOUR OWN words, you could of refused to play under those conditions. Why didn't you?, you had a choice.

But, human nature takes over OUR better judgment sometimes, OUR egos get in the way, EVERYONE likes to be in the, "limelight, spotlight..."It's over John, get over it! You can't WIN them ALL!

Listen, in 1983 I WON 62 CONSECUTIVE Tournament matches WITHOUT a LOSS! A record that has and I feel, will NEVER be broken. But, when I did loose that 63rd game, I was somewhat relieved, the pressure was gone, not having 95% of the room pulling AGAINST me, just waiting for the game I would loose!

BTW, I can read, YOU just don't want to hear it!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

John Brumback

Verified Member
John; Don't get SOOOOOO, defensive, by YOUR OWN words, you could of refused to play under those conditions. Why didn't you?, you had a choice.

But, human nature takes over OUR better judgment sometimes, OUR egos get in the way, EVERYONE likes to be in the, "limelight, spotlight..."It's over John, get over it! You can't WIN them ALL!

Listen, in 1983 I WON 62 CONSECUTIVE Tournament matches WITHOUT a LOSS! A record that has and I feel, will NEVER be broken. But, when I did loose that 63rd game, I was somewhat relieved, the pressure was gone, not having 95% of the room pulling AGAINST me, just waiting for the game I would loose!

BTW, I can read, YOU just don't want to hear it!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Ok ! but you don't have to yell at me:lol Good shootin too,by the way!!! JB

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
OK, everyone is going to say, "So what Pelican, you are John's friend so naturally you take his side". I am proud to consider John a friend but I feel I can also look at this with an objective eye.

Everyone has a preshot routine. Not everyones is the same. Some folks practically run around the table, bang, bang, bang. Some folks prefer to study a shot or a pattern for a lengthy time. I have watched John enough to know that he has a preshot routine that is not compatible with a 40 second clock. Now, you might say, well if you are a pro you should be able to adapt to changing conditions. Perhaps, if you mean slow cloth, crappy balls, half dead rails, etc. However if something like a clock changes your entire preshot routine, a routine you have developed over years, you cannot simply 'adapt' in a matter of a game or two. It would be like telling someone that they have to change from a closed bridge to an open bridge. It is just not going to feel right for a while and will affect their play. I watched every game John played and can say for sure that the clock did take it's toll.

JB, I sure as hell would hate to see ya retire. But then just think, you'd have a lot more time fer fishin' :lol

Pel ~ still wants lessons

backplaying

Verified Member
I think a 30 second clock is plenty of time in most games, with the exception of 1 hole, where 45 seconds should be the rule. Most of the slow play is just pre-shot routine and should be frowned upon. Anyone remember the golfer Sergio Garcia, who received so many complaints from viewers about his super slow pre-shot routine, that the pga told him to speed it up?