Happy Birthday, Eddie Taylor!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Eddie turned 86 years young, today! I had the extreme pleasure of speaking to him on the phone (mainly listening :) ) a couple of days ago, and all I can say is, any of you who really know him up close and personal are so lucky! What a gift to the pool world he has been, and what a great person, too.
Happy birthday, Eddie!!

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
NH Steve said:
Eddie turned 86 years young, today! I had the extreme pleasure of speaking to him on the phone (mainly listening :) ) a couple of days ago, and all I can say is, any of you who really know him up close and personal are so lucky! What a gift to the pool world he has been, and what a great person, too.
Happy birthday, Eddie!!
Amen and Amen, Steve. A true master of the game. Happy Birthday Eddie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$Bill

bjspivey

Verified Member
From
TEXAS
Eddie Taylor

Eddie Taylor

A BIG KISS comming your way Eddie, your still quite the lady,s man in my book. You have more class in the chalk dust of your tip,than most players have in the whole damm stick!! B.J. ;)

chief

Verified Member
MR. Taylor is a hell of a guy,I had the pleasure of meeting him in Vegas when Boston Shorty was inducted to the HOF,he's a great guy and can still party with the best of them.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Happy B-Day Eddie

Happy B-Day Eddie

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had the good fortune to go out to dinner with Jersey Red & Eddie Taylor to Morrison's cafateria in Shreveport, LA when Buddy was playing there. I listened for almost 3 hours and only wish I would have taped it. What a gentleman, professional, and just a nice man. The stories were un believable, but I'm sure - all true. I also got to see him play in Johnston City, IL and one of the best marks of a truely great player is when ALL your peers agree as to your talent, stature and importance to the game & history. Thats, Eddie Taylor.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
yobagua - Topics of the conversation

yobagua - Topics of the conversation

As I remember - (I ain't getting any younger) - The topics went from "Bust Out Joints" - to - Greatest Games Played - to - Greatest Games Seen - to - Greatest Players Playing (at that time) - to - Johnston City Stories - to - Personal History Stories. Many times as I think about different Subjects or Players, A recalled story will pop into my head from that dinner conversation. As I said, I was there hustling and it was at the time Buddy was The King Of Nine-Ball. Buddy and I have always been friends since Our Johnston City days as we are only about 8 months apart in age. We were kind of the Young Punks of those days - around Johnston City, I remember Buddy, A player named Fat Eric & myself, kinda hanging around. I'll never forget a tourney match between the previous years winner (Al Cosloskey) & myself. Buddy was kinda in my corner and at one time he says to me, "Tom, Do you realize that you have 9 cigarettes going? I was Soooo nervous, I dogged my brains out. I had just got a map of the Carolina's from Eddie Burton detailing who, when & where to play. It was only 3 weeks later I left St. Louis to hustle and my first stop was Paducah, KY - I got in touch with Buddy because he had told me to call him if I got into the area as he had a score for me. He told me of the score and when I took it off it was about 3am. I wouldn't leave town without giving Buddy his end but I didn't want to sleep in Paducah so I call him to meet for coffee and we sit and talk. He tells me that he had just met (@ Johnston City) a Backer from Flagstaff, AZ who wanted him to come out west and stake him in Phoenix & Denver. Buddy didn't have a car or much cash and I remember being pretty impressed with his playing even though we were supposed to play about alike or maybe him playing the last 2 better than me at most. Now I had a new Buick Wildcat and a $3,000 bankroll so I tell Buddy "There ain't no reason why I can't go west instead of east and if he wants to - we can leave in the morning and head west. I agreed to give him 50% of that nights score instead of the agreed 20% because I had won pretty much more than either one of us anticipated. Later in life, I realized that was my Strong Suit. Buddy & I take off "WEST"! As far as I know, this was Buddy's FIRST real ROAD TRIP where you just head in a direction and HUSTLE as you go. Our first real playing stop was "Gringo's Lounge" in Tulsa. We beat a few locals the first night and the owner asked us to return the next afternoon as he has a player who would be there to give us a good game. When we go back, I see who it is but say nothing to Buddy. He doesn’t know him. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking - If Buddy knows who this is, he might be too nervous. He (Buddy) had played very good the night before and I figure - Why not "Take A Shot" with half the winnings and see what happens with Buddy Playing The Currently Recognized Best Bar Box Player Of That Time -THE one and only "ONE-EYED-TONY". Buddy hit a gear that I had never seen. He didn't just fall "In Stroke" - He hit a different level of playing that he or I had never seen before. He was in such a state of mind & concentration that he didn't even realize how good he was playing. I'LL NEVER FORGET IT!
He continued to give Tony all he wanted for 2 or three more days and we headed west for our next stop (Okla. City) with a lot more $$$ to manage than before.
I'm pretty sure that Buddy later became good friends with that Gringo's Lounge Owner and they made some good $$$.
Do you see what has just happened here? I started out telling about a dinner conversation w/ Jersey Red & Eddie Taylor and go off into another story about something all together different. My wife says "This Ain't Good"
I'm now tired of typing and will get back to the "Dinner Story" - Later.