Rack 'em up with Eddie Taylor

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've just put up my interview with Eddie Taylor Rack 'em up with Eddie Taylor
What an honor to have him be that generous with his limited energy at his age (86), and what a sharp mind and memory he has!

Thanks again, Eddie!!

Somewhere down in the interview he talks about a shot he showed Corey Deuel once -- a shot that looks like a kiss. Here is one of the shots he described to me, with the 1-ball "just a country match stick" off the side rail:

START(
%AQ7D0%BD1N3%EF6O0%Ph4Y0%QA7[3%US7E9%Vh0X6%WD9Y2%XQ1D8%YH6I0
%ZC6F5%eB2a0%f7%g5%_D6F4%`M3C6%aP5C9
)END

The other one is the same type of bank into the side pocket. This is set up so that the 1-ball and the cue ball are lined up as if to bank naturally into the far corner, but instead you bank it into the side, and the cue ball drifts down table for position on the nine:

START(
%Hl3D0%ID1N8%Pr1F7%QA8[0%Un2D8%Vp9F1%W[7Z5%Xk3D8%eB0a1%_E8G5
%`_6C5%ak1C6
)END

On both of these shots, the object ball rebounds off the cushion just a hair before the cue ball passes through to drift down table. If you've never discovered this before, these two shots are eye-opening!!

bjspivey

Verified Member
From
TEXAS
Taylor

Taylor

NH Steve said:
I've just put up my interview with Eddie Taylor Rack 'em up with Eddie Taylor
What an honor to have him be that generous with his limited energy at his age (86), and what a sharp mind and memory he has!

Thanks again, Eddie!!

Somewhere down in the interview he talks about a shot he showed Corey Deuel once -- a shot that looks like a kiss. Here is one of the shots he described to me, with the 1-ball "just a country match stick" off the side rail:

START(
%AQ7D0%BD1N3%EF6O0%Ph4Y0%QA7[3%US7E9%Vh0X6%WD9Y2%XQ1D8%YH6I0
%ZC6F5%eB2a0%f7%g5%_D6F4%`M3C6%aP5C9
)END

The other one is the same type of bank into the side pocket. This is set up so that the 1-ball and the cue ball are lined up as if to bank naturally into the far corner, but instead you bank it into the side, and the cue ball drifts down table for position on the nine:

START(
%Hl3D0%ID1N8%Pr1F7%QA8[0%Un2D8%Vp9F1%W[7Z5%Xk3D8%eB0a1%_E8G5
%`_6C5%ak1C6
)END

On both of these shots, the object ball rebounds off the cushion just a hair before the cue ball passes through to drift down table. If you've never discovered this before, these two shots are eye-opening!!
Loved the story, you got to add some more ,like when he ran 100 ect. Get a thread goin about FUN ROAD STORIES !!!! I love your site B.J. ;)

Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Steve, I have never seen a better interview than your Eddie Taylor interview. In any sport. You are gifted, my friend. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,Bill

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Great Job!

Great Job!

Similar to what I say after going to a good buffet -
"I can't believe I ate (Read) the whole thing".
Very good interview and very enjoyable.
As I have posted here before, I had the pleasure of going out to dinner with Jersey Red & Eddie Taylor at Morrison’s cafeteria while in Shreveport. The stories went on for over 3 hours and I bet I didn't say 3 sentences. My only regret is that I didn't have a tape recorder.
TY & GL

matt

I don't understand the shot exactly

I don't understand the shot exactly

Can anyone elaborate on the shot that Eddy Taylor described. I looked at Steve's diagram and so I understand how the shot is set up, but I am unclear on a couple of things.

1) Does the cue ball pass in front of the object ball (crossing it) or does the object ball escape before the cue ball passes (stiffing it)?

2) How hard do you hit the shot?

It appears from the diagram that the cueball is hit above center with a little inside. Is that accurate?

Thank you for any responses.

Matt

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Eddie's Shot

Eddie's Shot

No, the cue ball does not pass in front of the oblect ball. It is hit with a pretty firm stroke and a little high. The key to this shot (and quite a few bank shots) is to remember/realize that when a frozen ball is banked hard, it indents into the cushion somewhat before it takes off. This is what keeps the cueball from kissing it on it's way out. CAPIECH?
TY & GL

ted haun

Eddie Taylor

Eddie Taylor

Hi Steve,

Enjoy your articles, always. Just a note to say: Eddie was a first cousin of mine. Class, top of the line champion! Such an honor just being related to the 'greatest bankpool player of all time'. God bless, Happy New Year!
Ted

mosconiac

Verified Member
OldHasBeen said:
The key to this shot (and quite a few bank shots) is to remember/realize that when a frozen ball is banked hard, it indents into the cushion somewhat before it takes off.
Also, you need to take advantage of the split second it takes for the natural follow to take hold after impact. This video (although not the exact situation in question) demostrates that "pause" before the cue ball advances forward. If the conditions are right (OB slightly off the rail with the right range of cut angle), the CB will pause just long enough for the OB to compress the rail and escape the kiss.

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/HSV4-3.htm