Shannon

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Shannon Daulton for the Banks HOF? One Pocket HOF? I'm all for it. In about ten or twenty years. Its not he doesn't deserve it now, he does. It is the format of induction that currently exist. One inductee per year. There are many categories of evaluation. If there were inductees each year for different categories, along with an equal number of past player inductees, vote him in. But is he more deserving ahead of other players that have played longer and that are just as deserving?
My solution would be to increase the number of living inductees to three to four and to establishing categories, then induct one from each. I would also add three past player inductees each year. Some of those would have to be inducted by research, like the player who first established one pocket as a game. For example, the Jansco brothers, Simonis cloth, etc. Are the Jansco brothers going to be inducted? There is a lot of catching up to do. Do we want to honor players after they are past? BFD to them.
If it was the case of multiple inductees, I would be all for Shannons induction. I still have vivid memories of when he came to Reno as a young Pillsbury dough boy and demolishing everyone.
I have nominated John Henderson again this year as an ambassador and teacher to the game. On the Best Coast he is well known for his top one pocket play, his gracious demeanor and his willingness to teach the game to anyone and everyone. John is like those journeymen second base players that year after year have a great season but never have a break out year. They make it in the HOF because of the standard they set.
This will be my only post on the subject. I do not want to be exposed to personal, demeaning, derogatory, insinuations, and insults that have no bearing on the subject. Good luck to the nominees.:cool::cool:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Bill, the Jansco brothers are already in the 1P HOF. Shannon will go in at some point, no doubt about it. IMO, Cliff should go in first. Can't you just hear his acceptance speech? "Uhhh, thanks.":D

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have no problem with Shannon being our youngest player ever to be elected into the One Pocket & Banks Hall of Fame. There has never been a player that emerged at such a young age as a multiple time champion in our sport. I mean, he came along as a teenager and proceeded to win just about every major One Pocket event that was available.

The only question I see, is if we want to change the guideline for who is eligible. The guideline we are using now is a span of twenty years as a Hall of Fame significant One Pocket or Banks player (or teacher or promoter). Shannon meets that guideline, having won his first major One Pocket event at the age of 19 and been winning and/or threatening consistently ever since.

If any player is going to be our youngest ever, there is no better candidate than Shannon. I don't see another one in the pipeline either, even though we have seen many good young players come along, none have developed as a consistent champion at such a young age.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
I have no problem with Shannon being our youngest player ever to be elected into the One Pocket & Banks Hall of Fame. There has never been a player that emerged at such a young age as a multiple time champion in our sport. I mean, he came along as a teenager and proceeded to win just about every major One Pocket event that was available.

The only question I see, is if we want to change the guideline for who is eligible. The guideline we are using now is a span of twenty years as a Hall of Fame significant One Pocket or Banks player (or teacher or promoter). Shannon meets that guideline, having won his first major One Pocket event at the age of 19 and been winning and/or threatening consistently ever since.

If any player is going to be our youngest ever, there is no better candidate than Shannon. I don't see another one in the pipeline either, even though we have seen many good young players come along, none have developed as a consistent champion at such a young age.

Thank you.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I agree with all the high praise re Shannon. He deserves to be in the HOF. However, Cliff has about the same record as does Shannon, he's older, he's probably played more one-pocket (tournaments and back room), and he's known primarily as a one-pocket player.

Parenthetically, Shannon may have a more likeable personality than has Cliff, but there again, the HOF player selections should be only based upon 1P excellence.;)

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I agree with all the high praise re Shannon. He deserves to be in the HOF. However, Cliff has about the same record as does Shannon, he's older, he's probably played more one-pocket (tournaments and back room), and he's known primarily as a one-pocket player.

Parenthetically, Shannon may have a more likeable personality than has Cliff, but there again, the HOF player selections should be only based upon 1P excellence.;)

Doc

Cliff is definitely a great candidate -- no knock on him from me. My only point comparing Cliff and Shannon is that Shannon may be younger, yet he ARRIVED as a champion at a younger age than Cliff. Take the year 1992 for example, because that was 20 years ago -- Cliff was older, but Shannon was a more accomplished champion already by that time, whereas Cliff was still developing his game. Shannon was a prodigy -- at Banks, at One Pocket and in high action. In those years, even though Shannon was younger, he was actually the more seasoned high stakes veteran and tournament champion than Cliff. It makes sense that Shannon would go into the HOF earlier, and younger -- he started to earn it back then, a little before Cliff did.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You're right about the timeline, Steve. And Shannon was certainly a prodigy. He was (is) great at all the games, whereas Cliff has in the main concentrated on 1P since the early 90's. I can't think of a single player whose name was more associated with one-pocket since then than was Joyner's. During the past few years I don't know if Shannon has played much 1P, except when warming up for the DCC or perhaps the U.S. Open 1P. Cliff still matches up every week somewhere.

Anyway it's interesting to contrast these two great players. Shannon has always been more high-spirited, and has shown lethal execution-- especially on shots off the rail, and also long banks. Cliff seems more cunning of the two, with brilliant imagination, and unusual ability to manage his game. In the recent era, he's been "Mr. One-pocket" longer than just about anyone else.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The polite thing to do is elect Cliff Joyner into the One pocket HOF and Shannon Daulton into the Bank Pool HOF. This way everyone is served fairly.

Beard

OOps I tricked myself into posting here outside of the HOF discussions threads. (I don't want to disrupt the synergy and excitement generated by the New Mr Nice Guy since I stopped.)

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Only the 2nd time......

Only the 2nd time......

The polite thing to do is elect Cliff Joyner into the One pocket HOF and Shannon Daulton into the Bank Pool HOF. This way everyone is served fairly.

Beard

OOps I tricked myself into posting here outside of the HOF discussions threads. (I don't want to disrupt the synergy and excitement generated by the New Mr Nice Guy since I stopped.)

Beard,

Between here and AZB, you have close to 10,000 posts (contributions) to the forums. Of all the time I've known you, this is only the 2nd time I ever disagreed with you on a pool matter. I can't remember the 1st one, but surely there had to have been one.

Shannon has won far more MAJOR 1P championships than Joyner has. Not taking anything away from his brilliance either, but over-all, of the two, if they were to somehow get into a time machine and each find the absolute peak of their game, I'd bet on Shannon Daulton.

Cliff may (may) have had more experience in 1P, but that's because, dare I even say it, it was his niche game. :D "Experience" doesn't equate to quality.
Daulton was in action from a youngster, and Gerald was putting heat on him since he started pool. THAT'S the type of pedigree Mr.Daulton brings to the ballot.

Throw in what he's given back to the game thru the Great Southern Billiard Tour that he established and contrast that with the reputation for "The Bite" that Cliff has left as part of his legacy, and the choice becomes (for me) even easier.

I do agree with my friend Doc though. Joyner definitely belongs in the H.O.F. someday. But it's my considered opinion that it should be AFTER Shannon's induction.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Beard,

Between here and AZB, you have close to 10,000 posts (contributions) to the forums. Of all the time I've known you, this is only the 2nd time I ever disagreed with you on a pool matter. I can't remember the 1st one, but surely there had to have been one.

Shannon has won far more MAJOR 1P championships than Joyner has. Not taking anything away from his brilliance either, but over-all, of the two, if they were to somehow get into a time machine and each find the absolute peak of their game, I'd bet on Shannon Daulton.

Cliff may (may) have had more experience in 1P, but that's because, dare I even say it, it was his niche game. :D "Experience" doesn't equate to quality.
Daulton was in action from a youngster, and Gerald was putting heat on him since he started pool. THAT'S the type of pedigree Mr.Daulton brings to the ballot.

Throw in what he's given back to the game thru the Great Southern Billiard Tour that he established and contrast that with the reputation for "The Bite" that Cliff has left as part of his legacy, and the choice becomes (for me) even easier.

I do agree with my friend Doc though. Joyner definitely belongs in the H.O.F. someday. But it's my considered opinion that it should be AFTER Shannon's induction.

i personally like shannon as a candidate
but how much one pocket is played in the southern billiards tour??
just askin
i beleive even if shannons role in the great southern billiard tour is excluded
his championships and after hours one pocket playing makes him a deserving nomiee

similarly
im not sure that "bite tendencies" should be part of the criteria
it should be performance on the table
to me the bite is not that unscrupulous as a character flaw to preclude someone from induction (ie ronnie allen) since the biteee and biteor
both know the odds of repayment...:rolleyes:,,,,:D
icbw

Last edited:

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
i personally like shannon as a candidate
but how much one pocket is played in the southern billiards tour??
just askin
i beleive even if shannons role in the great southern billiard tour is excluded
his championships and after hours one pocket playing makes him a deserving nomiee

similarly
im not sure that "bite tendencies" should be part of the criteria
it should be performance on the table
to me the bite is not that unscrupulous as a character flaw to preclude someone from induction (ie ronnie allen) since the biteee and biteor
both know the odds of repayment...:rolleyes:,,,,:D
icbw

lll,
There are 1P tournaments on his tour, albeit not as many as the 9 or 10 ball events.

That second part of your post was funny! ("Biteee & biteor".......good stuff!)

For the record, I didn't mean that bite comment to disparage Joyner. He's earned that reputation over the years himself and it's really no secret in pooldom. Upon reflection though, I wish I could have said it with more grace.....

The RA analogy was also a good one!

All in all, I'm just trying to stuuf the ballot box with these ads, er, um, I mean posts here! :D

After all, it IS election season here at 1P.org!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
^^^^
i understand terry
it is election time
so i have to say.......

i re -read my post and i approve my message......:D...........:heh.........:lol

p.s. i think they both are deserving

Betdapot

Verified Member
To be honest they both belong in the 1 pocket hall of fame, but as far as twenty years ago Shannon playing better one pocket I had Cliff on the Road in 1992 and part of 93 and he booked drumroll....... ZERO losers playing onepocket. You can't fault the guy for hiding his talent for as long as possible every great road player does it you only come out and play tournaments when you can't be underestimated on the road anymore. As stated again from around the early 90s till mid 2000's (till Scott's game all came togather) Cliffo was the second greatest one pocket player in the world and would have been the greatest but happened to be playing second fiddle to the greatest off all time

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana

Doc

YOU SURE got that right doc.