Matching up with Patrick Johnson

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
An aside from the match...

At one point in one of our games the score was 7-7, and then Pat scratched, in a pocket...the non-spotted ball was sitting 2" off of his long rail, 1-1/2 diamonds up from his pocket, leaving me that often seen choice of two shots, that has been discussed on here many times = shoot the spot shot, or shoot the safer/more conservative cross-corner bank...after I shot the bank, Pat asked me why I chose the bank...I told him: "No special reason - it's arbitrary for me - sometimes I'm in the mood to shoot the spot shot, and sometimes I'm in the mood to shoot the bank".....but, I was lying to Pat..:eek:...(yes you were)

The real reason I shot the bank was because I was squeezing hard..to make sure I won the game ( Now you're coming around))..because...that morning at the bakery I saw a Key Lime pie that I had to have - priced at $20....so I was determined to get 4 of those $5 bills of Pat's to pay for that pie...:D...:heh ( I understand, that along with other things)

- Ghost
( Pat, the real reason he shot the bank is..by shooting the bank he would lengthen the game possibly and force you to play a moving game with him with you needing two balls to his one, rather than him shooting the spot shot and if missed he would be serving you up that piece of Key Lime pie that he wasn't going to let you have .:heh )
PS, Pat, Riva says thanks for the pie - we had it after dinner last night...:)

Pat, you do like Key Lime pie, right?

Dr. Bill

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Thanks Pat

Thanks Pat

Now I see the bite of blueberry muffin that Ghost so generously offered me for what it was: a distraction and a loss-leader.

pj
chgo

Thanks Pat! Now that I know the serious depths of his depravity, I will never eat one of those delicious blueberry muffins at Chris's while playing the Ghost ever again. Who would have thought that the reason he beats up on me so badly was blueberry muffins? hahaha

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Thanks Pat! Now that I know the serious depths of his depravity, I will never eat one of those delicious blueberry muffins at Chris's while playing the Ghost ever again. Who would have thought that the reason he beats up on me so badly was blueberry muffins? hahaha

And when you come to town next month..on the day that we play..I will be stopping at the bakery on my way to Chris's, picking out a cake or a pie for later...:heh

backplaying

Verified Member
And, as always, I had a good time playing and bs'ing with Pat as well...we didn't get all that many games played cuz we were talking a lot while we were playing, and also we had a lunch break, and then a little while after that we had a fresh baked blueberry muffin break..:)...

Ok, first of all Pat lied :eek: when he said he won the 1st game 8 to zip - the real score of that 1st game was 8 to -2..:)...then, after he wouldn't raise the bet to $7 a game, he sensing a trap - I CAME OFF THE STALL, :eek: and won the rest of our games...:heh...

I took a few pics..later tonight or tomorrow I'll post a couple of wwyd/what did we do pics...for now, for the guys who have never been to the legendary Chris's Billiards, I took a few pics of the room...this first one is of Pat shooting...

Chris's is a huge poolroom up on the 2nd flr. of the building, with three separate rooms connected by archways...the 1st/main room after you come up the steps is big enough to have 15 tables (9ft. pool tables, 7 3cushion tables & 6x12 snooker) - the back room is much bigger and can fit at least 20 tables - and the side room (where Pat and I played and the pic of him was taken) has 12 tables...

- Ghost

If you have the bottom right corner here, you should have just kicked the 1 out. We have gold crowns here in our room, but sadly its almost all diamonds everywhere else around here. What size pockets does the table have you and ghost played on? I meant to post this to a Pat post, as ghost doesn't need help with his game!

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
If you have the bottom right corner here, you should have just kicked the 1 out. We have gold crowns here in our room, but sadly its almost all diamonds everywhere else around here. What size pockets does the table have you and ghost played on? I meant to post this to a Pat post, as ghost doesn't need help with his game!
All help appreciated, but I forget what was going on in that pic.

The pockets were 4 1/2" as I recall (two balls wedge at the points).

pj
chgo

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Here's a couple more pics of the front room of Chris's...the second pic taken from behind the counter...

And in pic 2...Hey Jim - there's your man Paul, practicing up for you on the front/action table...:)

- Ghost

Attachments

• 1 1 P1010938.jpg
    1 1 P1010938.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 0

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
And also, gotta love those old school support beams.

Attachments

• 1 1 P1010939 (1).jpg
    1 1 P1010939 (1).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
Paul Who??

Paul Who??

Ghost...That aint Paul....Never saw that guy at Chris`s;)

I do see Brian schooling Pancake on the billiard table.

DWS..I may come out of pool retirement,when you come into town

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
...or seven.

That's more than before. Even though I'm not a 3C player I like that trend.

pj
chgo
Yes, and that big 3C tournament they have coming up at Chris's will really bring international attention to the room. A $200 or $300 entry is substantial for the tastes of most 3C players. Back when I played 3C in L.A., it was considered a respectable gamble if two guys played for the table time!:D

Actually that was probably a California peculiarity. Even up into the 90's, gambling wasn't all that prevalent-- unless of course Henderson was around...;)

~Doc