Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman View Post

However, you did mention Mike Surber. Was wondering if you or Doc or anyone else has heard of any new developments in that murder case? It would seem, after all this time, someone would have cropped up in the investigation.
Dee, to my knowledge Mike's murder investigation is a "cold case". The original detective has left the area, and I'm not sure if they're still following up. They do have DNA, so presumably they've checked the data base, and will use it if they ever get a suspect. His brother, Steve, no doubt keeps up inquiries.

I still get Emailed an occasional prison photo to look at from a pool player up in Ohio who combs through the online databases. So far, nothing. After 5+ years it's going to take a tremendous stroke of luck to get the guy.

~Doc
Old 03-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Verified Member

Default Determination

Okay I have put some of my thoughts on one pocket and spots out for everyone to see....
I didn't play this game until I was over 50... It is without a doubt the hardest to learn and execute that I have ever found as far as an eye hand coordination game. Lately I have been comparing this to a deck of cards... I got through half the deck rather quickly...Now my improvement to get through the rest of the deck is one card at a time...

I am starting to understand some of the concepts that Jason talks about and shows me. More to the point, within each game are a couple of key shots that you must recognize and execute with precision. These key shots change the game to your favor, and give you the advantage, table position, balls on your side, etc...I truly don't see them...Even on the WWYD shots, I don't see the "correct" shot most of the time... some kind of mental block I guess, Dr. Bill showed me a simple escape shot that I didn't see at Derby this year...which I have now incorporated into my game.

It is the same of cue ball control... It wasn't until right before derby this year that I was shown that I was hitting a stun shot wrong... Yep, playing for 5 years, and John Brumback, during a game of short rack bank asked me why I was drawing the ball on a certain shot. I wasn't hitting a "stun", I was hitting a Draw. He commented later that I had made 95 percent of that shot after he showed me the correct way... another card so to speak... I am sure that ya'll have to agree the way JB hits stun bank shots is a thing of beauty.

Jason mentioned Mike Surber, I asked Mike once why I could go to a bar, play 8 ball and win most of the time and yet lost so much at the pool hall. His reply was simple... He said "Bille you are supposed to win in a bar, but to win in a pool hall you are going to have to learn the game again"..

So from one, as Freddy told me, stone cold pool nut, to another... I will continue bumbling along one card at a time...

B
Old 03-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Verified Member

WGCP great analogy. I agree with gaining abillity becomes a slower process as one gets better.Good for you and your persistamce to improve. Hopefully just reflecting on this is a "ahhuh" moment.

Nice to see such a positive thread. Would have been easy for this to go south. I would enjoy matching up with either of you gentleman.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
Dee, to my knowledge Mike's murder investigation is a "cold case". The original detective has left the area, and I'm not sure if they're still following up. They do have DNA, so presumably they've checked the data base, and will use it if they ever get a suspect. His brother, Steve, no doubt keeps up inquiries.

I still get Emailed an occasional prison photo to look at from a pool player up in Ohio who combs through the online databases. So far, nothing. After 5+ years it's going to take a tremendous stroke of luck to get the guy.

~Doc
Doc,

Thanks, a terrible situation for Steve and, of course, all of us who knew him.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Verified Member

Great reply, Billi.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Verified Member

Default The Colonel is Unique

Col. Bille has one unique characteristic that is being overlooked here. He has been able to dramatically improve his fundamental pool game at an advanced age. Marked improvement is a 50+ player is rare. I don't think I've ever seen an older player improve as fast as Col. Bille.

Another factor in Bille's game has to be the skillset(s) he has had to maintain in order be proficient in his former day job. Imagine how many things he had to be aware of at one time to crank and run a Blackhawk. The general population would never be able to match up with him in this area.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Verified Member

Default richard

thanks I am trying...but flying a helicopter is like driving a car...

B
Old 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Verified Member

Just a little story about helicopters. There was a well known award winning Director. His name was Boris Sagal. Father to Katey Sagal of Married with Children and Sons of Anarchy fame. He was directing a Movie of the Week called World War III. He got out of a helicopter and forgot his script and went back for it. In a rush he retrieved it and exited on the wrong side of the cab and walked into the rear rotor.
He was partially decapitated and died 5 hours later in the hospital.

Ive done a lot of location work where we have had to use helicopters. I always wait for the rotors to stop before I make my move.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
Col. Bille has one unique characteristic that is being overlooked here. He has been able to dramatically improve his fundamental pool game at an advanced age. Marked improvement is a 50+ player is rare. I don't think I've ever seen an older player improve as fast as Col. Bille.
Now you've done it, Richie. Bille's head will swell so much he won't be able to walk through the door! We'll all have to install those big sliding glass doors now.

~Doc