Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Verified Member

One Pocket Rich is a great one pocket analyst. This was one of the few times he did commentating and he was paired up with someone who is not on his level. If he did commit some verbal errors is because he is not a professional. By profession he is a contractor and uses sentence construction to direct workers and laborers. I can tell you he is pristine in his work there. How do I know, he did work on my home.

With more experience I believe he couldve been one of the best. I tried to get him to do the 5 x 10 James Bosch affair that Hendy won but was not interested. As for him losing a Pepsi contract thats gossip and BS. Thats not what cost Pepsi to not get involved. It was the excuse.

What we need is more preparation to commentary. It shouldnt come off the cuff but with some analysis and research pre game. In pro sports there is an analyst, a color man, and a summarizer. I dont expect POV to compete with Network sports but some research to some facts would be helpful and make for some understanding of the game. Do a little fact finding. Who are the opponents. How old are they. Where do they play out of. Who are their mentors. What are their tournament wins. What are their cash games histories. Is he a shooter, a mover, a banker, etc. Most times pool commentators just come in winging it. Of course guys like JJ and Dr Bill already have that knowledge by experience but most need a more educated approach.

As far as people breathing into the mike thats what the engineer is there for. People are people. They breathe for a living. They cough because they are living. Some people have tics. Get over it. I know I make a living behind a mike. We rely on an engineer for those problems which can easily be resolved.
And I might add Daniel is one of the best in our racket as far as that is concerned.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keoneyo View Post
One Pocket Rich is a great one pocket analyst. This was one of the few times he did commentating and he was paired up with someone who is not on his level. If he did commit some verbal errors is because he is not a professional. By profession he is a contractor and uses sentence construction to direct workers and laborers. I can tell you he is pristine in his work there. How do I know, he did work on my home.

With more experience I believe he couldve been one of the best. I tried to get him to do the 5 x 10 James Bosch affair that Hendy won but was not interested. As for him losing a Pepsi contract thats gossip and BS. Thats not what cost Pepsi to not get involved. It was the excuse.

What we need is more preparation to commentary. It shouldnt come off the cuff but with some analysis and research pre game. In pro sports there is an analyst, a color man, and a summarizer. I dont expect POV to compete with Network sports but some research to some facts would be helpful and make for some understanding of the game. Do a little fact finding. Who are the opponents. How old are they. Where do they play out of. Who are their mentors. What are their tournament wins. What are their cash games histories. Is he a shooter, a mover, a banker, etc. Most times pool commentators just come in winging it. Of course guys like JJ and Dr Bill already have that knowledge by experience but most need a more educated approach.

As far as people breathing into the mike thats what the engineer is there for. People are people. They breathe for a living. They cough because they are living. Some people have tics. Get over it. I know I make a living behind a mike. We rely on an engineer for those problems which can easily be resolved.
And I might add Daniel is one of the best in our racket as far as that is concerned.
Oh there’s no doubt at all if he was actually into commentary and passionate about it he’d be the best commentator of all time in one pocket. Please don’t take that as a shot at anybody else, but that’s where i put his skills as a commentator.

Here what rich has that nobody else has. and I have many commentators that I’m very fond of. Rich is not such a great ball striker. This is such a great great advantage to being a one pocket commentator, because of the audience. As a pool commentator your job is half insight and teaching. Great world class players do not realize what it’s like to be at the one pocket table and have the striking skills of an average player. I really believe this puts his analysis on another level... in other words, what he sees is what us as the audience need to see to play better one pocket. This is perhaps similar to insight on here and why the ghost is so popular, for good reason.

That’s my analysis of his one pocket analysis
Old 11-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
Here what rich has that nobody else has. and I have many commentators that Iím very fond of. Rich is not such a great ball striker. This is such a great great advantage to being a one pocket commentator, because of the audience. As a pool commentator your job is half insight and teaching. Great world class players do not realize what itís like to be at the one pocket table and have the striking skills of an average player. I really believe this puts his analysis on another level... in other words, what he sees is what us as the audience need to see to play better one pocket. This is perhaps similar to insight on here and why the ghost is so popular, for good reason.

Thatís my analysis of his one pocket analysis
Very good.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:51 AM
Verified Member

I have to say i agree with some of the criticism mentioned here. I think Daniel does a great service with his free streams however I find it very frustrating that the score is not posted properly a good part of the time and the announcers don't know what the score is a lot of the time. As far as Box goes, I personally don't like his analysis and usually will turn the volume down and just watch.

Daniel thanks again for your streams.. Keith
Old 11-05-2017, 12:54 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage View Post
box is good, he loves the game and pays attention. his commentary is generally spot-on. i recall listening to him say: "he's taking the wrong shot." and guess what? Box was right. even if he misses a few calls it matters not. he's engaged with the game.
Box is OK. I completely agree Box loves one pocket for sure. Heís better than nothing but from the five or six matches Iíve listened to, spot on is not the term Iíd use.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:31 AM

I see a lot of complaining and griping about pool streams, both free and PPV, here and especially on Facebook. And really its a shame. If its free people complain about the commentators, and if its PPV people complain about the price. It seems like if you're a streamer you can't win. Personally I'm grateful all these things exist as a resource to learn from and to grow the game.

When I started playing pool again a couple years back, after not playing for 10 years, I had really never played one pocket before. Some of the first one pocket I saw I discovered randomly on youtube - some POV matches of Efren playing Bobby Emmons. I got really interested in this game, watched more and more free videos, and discovered this wonderful site 1p.org. I agree with a previous poster, regardless of Rich's language on the Frost/Pagulayan match, there is no way on God's green earth Pepsi would start sponsoring one pocket, sorry but its the truth. If the score is not always right, or if the discussion is off topic, keep in mind Daniel and Geraldine have a lot to manage back there. And you are talking about a two person team working 12-15 hour days, after haven driven maybe twelve hours to the location they are streaming from. Considering all that, its easy to imagine the ball count is not always going to perfect. If you hear Daniel giving a shout out to those in the chat room, keep in mind those chat room folks are probably long time donators to POV (they are helping to contribute to the free stream you get), so why shouldn't they get a little extra love? Also Daniel promotes 1p.org all the time on his streams.

As to the poster who spoke poorly of Box, no need to be disrespectful. Box is a member on this site as well. His commentary is not always on the money, but he's not getting paid. And he throws in a lot of good color, about the crowd, the humidity in the room, a story about Cecil Tugwell, surely there is time for all that stuff in an up table game. Anyhow, I believe Box and POV parted ways as far as commentary.

If you want JJ in the booth and a spot on ball count, the fact is you gotta pay that money. Ray (PoolActionTV) is able to provide 3 camera angles, pro commentators, and up to date stats because he charges.

In the end whether it's donation based or PPV, none of these guys, POV, Lenny, Ray are getting rich in this business. Keeping up to date with video and computer equipment is expensive and un-ending (I know, I'm a photographer). They are all doing it because they have a passion for the game.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:19 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I see a lot of complaining and griping about pool streams, both free and PPV, here and especially on Facebook. And really its a shame. If its free people complain about the commentators, and if its PPV people complain about the price. It seems like if you're a streamer you can't win. Personally I'm grateful all these things exist as a resource to learn from and to grow the game.

When I started playing pool again a couple years back, after not playing for 10 years, I had really never played one pocket before. Some of the first one pocket I saw I discovered randomly on youtube - some POV matches of Efren playing Bobby Emmons. I got really interested in this game, watched more and more free videos, and discovered this wonderful site 1p.org. I agree with a previous poster, regardless of Rich's language on the Frost/Pagulayan match, there is no way on God's green earth Pepsi would start sponsoring one pocket, sorry but its the truth. If the score is not always right, or if the discussion is off topic, keep in mind Daniel and Geraldine have a lot to manage back there. And you are talking about a two person team working 12-15 hour days, after haven driven maybe twelve hours to the location they are streaming from. Considering all that, its easy to imagine the ball count is not always going to perfect. If you hear Daniel giving a shout out to those in the chat room, keep in mind those chat room folks are probably long time donators to POV (they are helping to contribute to the free stream you get), so why shouldn't they get a little extra love? Also Daniel promotes 1p.org all the time on his streams.

As to the poster who spoke poorly of Box, no need to be disrespectful. Box is a member on this site as well. His commentary is not always on the money, but he's not getting paid. And he throws in a lot of good color, about the crowd, the humidity in the room, a story about Cecil Tugwell, surely there is time for all that stuff in an up table game. Anyhow, I believe Box and POV parted ways as far as commentary.

If you want JJ in the booth and a spot on ball count, the fact is you gotta pay that money. Ray (PoolActionTV) is able to provide 3 camera angles, pro commentators, and up to date stats because he charges.

In the end whether it's donation based or PPV, none of these guys, POV, Lenny, Ray are getting rich in this business. Keeping up to date with video and computer equipment is expensive and un-ending (I know, I'm a photographer). They are all doing it because they have a passion for the game.
Very good.

Come around more often.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Verified Member

Quote:

Great post.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Me too, great post!!!!
Old 11-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Administrator

There does seem to be a broad internet tendency for people to think "everything on the internet should be free for me to see -- and to download" lol. The hardworking few "content originators" are the ones that pay the most for that -- they invest in the equipment and creativity and time and often travel and incidental expenses to create some content, and despite the fact that it is free, there is lots of bitching and moaning, and people steal content to their heart's content. To a degree, it is simply the way of the internet -- not just pool of course. I don't like the content stealing either, but as for onepocket.org's role, I try to suck it up and look at it from the point of view that at least One Pocket is growing more legs because of it -- including in other parts of the world -- because I can't really stop it.