John henderson wins ssss

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Congratulations, John! I wish I had the opportunity to watch your matches, you must have played great. Sorry to hear that KY was/is sick and not able to enjoy your win in person. I wish him well.

You are a STUD!

Dave

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Heres an idea for next year. Two divisions. Seniors & Super Seniors.
Seniors are anyone 65 to 69 years old in that calendar year.
Super Seniors are of course 70 plus in that calendar year.
Each division will have $2000.00 added for a full field of 16 players.
Each division will have it's own champion crowned.
At the end the two champions will square off against each other and play a race to 4 for an additional prize of $1000.00...... And bragging rights.... Whatta ya think????

If this sounds doable to you guys, I will go to work on David Richardson & John Rizzo and try to get it handled. I'm not sure about the tables needed to handle 32 + players, but if it takes more than 9, I'm pretty sure I can convince them to bring them in, I know there is plenty of room to accommodate more 9 footers, it's just a question of money and manpower.

I gotta tell youse guys that played this year, you're one hell of a bunch of nice guys!!! To a man, everyone of you was a gentleman and fun to be around.

I cannot remember being this excited and nervous since I got married 44 years ago!!! I not only enjoyed the competition, I liked the whole experience of meeting new people and putting faces on the guys I've been visiting with here on OP.O....

Thank you, all of you who came to watch and all who came to compete.

I can't wait until next year!!!

Congratulations to the reigning and first ever Champion, our very own.... Big John Henderson

TallJeff

Your enthusiasm is impressive! The Senior bracket would be a great addition, but you might need a bigger venue? Fair warning: Parica is 66! (Reyes would qualify in 2019.)

Presumably, players > 70 could play in both (like fighting in a higher weight class)? That way, Henderson can just win both tournaments, save time, and pocket an extra $1,000.

Cory

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
At the end the two champions will square off against each other and play a race to 4 for an additional prize of $1000.00...... And bragging rights.... Whatta ya think????

If this sounds doable to you guys, I will go to work on David Richardson & John Rizzo and try to get it handled. I'm not sure about the tables needed to handle 32 + players, but if it takes more than 9, I'm pretty sure I can convince them to bring them in, I know there is plenty of room to accommodate more 9 footers, it's just a question of money and manpower.

I gotta tell youse guys that played this year, you're one hell of a bunch of nice guys!!! To a man, everyone of you was a gentleman and fun to be around.

I cannot remember being this excited and nervous since I got married 44 years ago!!! I not only enjoyed the competition, I liked the whole experience of meeting new people and putting faces on the guys I've been visiting with here on OP.O....

Congratulations to the reigning and first ever Champion, our very own.... Big John Henderson

TallJeff
jeff you deserve kudos too...:)
it was your brainchild that came to a beautiful fruition

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas

TallJeff

Count me in.

Drop Pocket

Verified Member
From
South Carolina
Congrats, John!! Wish I coulda been there;) The idea of a Senior and a Super Senior sounds like a great idea and I hope it comes off.

keoneyo

Verified Member

TallJeff

This is a great idea Jeff. It just shows how it takes one man to take an idea and bring it to fruition with the help and support from like minded people.
With the US Open now somewhat dead, this can be a welcome addition to the one pocket calendar.
If we started early we could try and raise funds through the org. to build up the prize fund. More money, more spots paid, will bring out a stronger field.
Get sponsors as well.

Once we can get dates set maybe we can get local room owners to have a satellite tournament which would pay for entry fee and traveling expense.

Anyway great job guys!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's an interesting and innovative idea. However unless Bogies would be willing to put in another eight 9' tables, it would be a scheduling nightmare.:eek: It would probably require adding a day or two to the event.

Once that genie is out of the bottle, then they'll start demanding a 60-65 bracket, a 55-60 bracket, etc.;)

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

TallJeff

What an idea for next year! I'm in for whatever I can do to help, including coming early to help Bogies get ready if that would be needed or helpful.

(A personal aside to Jeff... Sorry about trying to date your wife... I thought she was just your girlfriend -- you cradle-robber you -- and I was gonna steal her.) :)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
It's an interesting and innovative idea. However unless Bogies would be willing to put in another eight 9' tables, it would be a scheduling nightmare.:eek: It would probably require adding a day or two to the event.

Once that genie is out of the bottle, then they'll start demanding a 60-65 bracket, a 55-60 bracket, etc.;)

~Doc
Hello Doc,

I did not know it would require that many tables to complete the two divisions in a modest amount of time. I was just pumped about how the tournament turned out and when I saw Steve's response, ( he wanted to play ) it just kinda hit me, two divisions!
One for the guys that are almost old enough, ( 65/69 ) and ours, over 70, with the winner of each playing at the end for another $1000.00.

But I guess we would really have to find a larger venue and then find sponsors to post the added monies needed to fund both events. I guess you're right, sounds like a nightmare to assemble, so it was a pleasant dream for a day, but if what you say is true, then there's no way it could be held at Bogies and that fact alone makes it very difficult for me to press on.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
That John Henderson guy has to be one of the luckiest players I've ever seen. How can one person consistently get all the rolls. Every tournament he plays in he's always getting good results. You are one crusty old lucky dog:lol

Congrats John. Another fine showing:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

~Doc

They could do it like the DCC -- with a staggered start so even though it would add a day or so, it would be the same number of days for the players -- unless someone wanted to come sweat the other division for an extra day or so. And I am sure some would enjoy that!! I.e Start the 65 yo group on Wed with finals Friday, with the super seniors starting Friday and ending Sunday. Just a thought.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
If we started early we could try and raise funds through the org. to build up the prize fund.

Great idea!

There's an online site called something like "gofundme" that I think can be set up for such a purpose. I wonder whether it would be appropriate for us, and how much, if any, the rake is.

Anybody know?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Hello Doc,

I did not know it would require that many tables to complete the two divisions in a modest amount of time. I was just pumped about how the tournament turned out and when I saw Steve's response, ( he wanted to play ) it just kinda hit me, two divisions!
One for the guys that are almost old enough, ( 65/69 ) and ours, over 70, with the winner of each playing at the end for another $1000.00.

But I guess we would really have to find a larger venue and then find sponsors to post the added monies needed to fund both events. I guess you're right, sounds like a nightmare to assemble, so it was a pleasant dream for a day, but if what you say is true, then there's no way it could be held at Bogies and that fact alone makes it very difficult for me to press on.

Well, I can't say I wouldn't compete if it were somewhere other than Bogies, but my real feelings are: Bogies or nothing. Everybody there was as good as we could hope for.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Hello Doc,

Jeff...here's my alternate suggestion...that I think would make the tournament bigger and more exciting..and it wouldn't change things much/ keeping all of the logistics doable...

Keep it to just one tournament, but lower the age limit a little - to 68...might just need to add one more day...

Course all of you 70+ yr. old geezers might be too ascairt of us 68-69 yr olds to lower the limit...:eek:...:heh...:)

- Vision blurred/cartilage-thinned/daily multiple-medicating, :eek: Ghost

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Jeff...here's my alternate suggestion...that I think would make the tournament bigger and more exciting..and it wouldn't change things much/ keeping all of the logistics doable...

Keep it to just one tournament, but lower the age limit a little - to 68...might just need to add one more day...

Course all of you 70+ yr. old geezers might be too ascairt of us 68-69 yr olds to lower the limit...:eek:...:heh...:)

- Vision blurred/cartilage-thinned/daily multiple-medicating, :eek: Ghost

Changing the age is a great idea. I suggest 71 for next year and 72 the year after that. :D

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Well, I can't say I wouldn't compete if it were somewhere other than Bogies, but my real feelings are: Bogies or nothing. Everybody there was as good as we could hope for.

There's another Bogies location in Houston. I think I read that the manager from there played in the SSSS???

Point being, it would take some coordination, but the second location could be used for the initial rounds and then everything could converge to FM1960 on day 3. One drawback is that there could be an advantage to the players who get more time playing at the location where the later rounds are played.

It's good to see all the enthusiasm continuing post-tournament. Confirms that everyone had fun!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
There's another Bogies location in Houston. I think I read that the manager from there played in the SSSS???

Yes, James Christopher who finished second.

Point being, it would take some coordination, but the second location could be used for the initial rounds and then everything could converge to FM1960 on day 3. One drawback is that there could be an advantage to the players who get more time playing at the location where the later rounds are played.

First thing would probably be whether Bogies decided they made money, broke even, or lost money, net/net. If Bogies were amenable, another way to do it would be with something like reverse seeding based upon age... IOW, make it one tournament but have all the younger players play early rounds against one another at the other venue, all the older at 1960. Then bring a final 4 from the other location to meet the final 4 at 1960. This would put the younger guys at a minor disadvantage, getting fewer "dead money" matchups and not being as acclimated to the 1960 conditions once the final 8 started at 1960.

Something I've seen no one mention, and I thought was excellent judgment, the decision was made to pay 50% of the field, giving more guys a chance to get back something of their travel expenses. I've always thought it would be smarter to pay a bigger % of the field than is typical, encouraging more of the weaker players by giving them a better chance to cash. Promoters seem to want what they think is more pizzazz in the PR by talking about a bigger winner's share.

It's good to see all the enthusiasm continuing post-tournament. Confirms that everyone had fun!

I can't imagine anything being much better, unless I had not allowed Jeff Sparks to talk me into letting him win. :D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes, James Christopher who finished second.

First thing would probably be whether Bogies decided they made money, broke even, or lost money, net/net. If Bogies were amenable, another way to do it would be with something like reverse seeding based upon age... IOW, make it one tournament but have all the younger players play early rounds against one another at the other venue, all the older at 1960. Then bring a final 4 from the other location to meet the final 4 at 1960. This would put the younger guys at a minor disadvantage, getting fewer "dead money" matchups and not being as acclimated to the 1960 conditions once the final 8 started at 1960.

Something I've seen no one mention, and I thought was excellent judgment, the decision was made to pay 50% of the field, giving more guys a chance to get back something of their travel expenses. I've always thought it would be smarter to pay a bigger % of the field than is typical, encouraging more of the weaker players by giving them a better chance to cash. Promoters seem to want what they think is more pizzazz in the PR by talking about a bigger winner's share.

I can't imagine anything being much better, unless I had not allowed Jeff Sparks to talk me into letting him win. :D
I noticed the deep payouts and fully agree it was a terrific gesture to soften the costs of the trip for players that would not have cashed in the usual top 1/4 payout spread.