Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2018, 07:14 PM
Verified Member

Default Willie Munson stories

Hey guys, Iím hoping some of you could help me out. In October, Willie Munson is being inducted into the inaugural class for the Wisconsin Billiards Hall of Fame. Every inductee chose someone to present/introduce them. Willie asked me to introduce him.

While Iím honored and can share some stories of my one pocket mentor, Iíve only known him 13-14 years, when he was already a senior citizen and his best days had past. I could use any anecdotal stories or funny memories from yesteryear.

He traveled and played mostly 9 ball, but could also play a pretty mean game of one pocket. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Cruncher View Post
Hey guys, I’m hoping some of you could help me out. In October, Willie Munson is being inducted into the inaugural class for the Wisconsin Billiards Hall of Fame. Every inductee chose someone to present/introduce them. Willie asked me to introduce him.

While I’m honored and can share some stories of my one pocket mentor, I’ve only known him 13-14 years, when he was already a senior citizen and his best days had past. I could use any anecdotal stories or funny memories from yesteryear.

He traveled and played mostly 9 ball, but could also play a pretty mean game of one pocket. Thanks!
I don't have much of one, but... a friend of mine and I went to watch a tournament in the mid 70's, and Willie was one of the players competing. What I remember is that he had a shot with the cue ball near one end of the table, and the object ball on the other, which he had to draw back for position, and he stroked the shot so well he drew the full table length back, which blew our minds at the time. For years after that, every time my friend played or saw a strong draw shot played, he called out "Willie Munson!!" lol. My old friend doesn't play pool much anymore but I guarantee he still remembers this!!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:44 PM

Willie's been a long time friend from Milwaukee, only 90 miles North of Chicago, which He used to visit often, as I did up there.

In the 70's-80's, Willie was one of the top 3 players in cheese town. He, George Pawelski and George Brunt. Terry Romine, the owner of, 'High Pockets' was always the best action guy, from pool, 3c to Gin.

He and his wife have owned a bead shop forever. When ever we saw each other He'd say, "Bill, how you hitn em!"
Old 08-31-2018, 10:29 PM
Verified Member

I met him at a tournament in the late 80s I think it was.
He was selling a Schon Cue and offered me a very good price on it.
I did not have enough cash but I had a paycheck .
He let me try the cue and I went to cash the check but the check cashing place wanted something like 200 dollars to cash it . It was from a large company on the stock exchange, but the guy got crappy with me, and I told him if it was bad, I'd let you eat it , but it's gold, and I'm not paying loan shark prices, to get it cashed.
I went back ,and a friend overheard our conversation, and offered to loan me the money, but I let my anger toward the check guy decide it, and said, thanks, but no thanks.
Willie was a gentleman the whole time, and never even batted an eyelash, when I passed , although by then he had about half an hour of face time, and an hour and a half, wait time invested.
He was smiling when I met him, and he was smiling when I left him.
That was the only time I ever talked to him, but he sure made a good impression, with the opportunity he got!
Old 09-01-2018, 08:37 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Cruncher View Post
Hey guys, Iím hoping some of you could help me out. In October, Willie Munson is being inducted into the inaugural class for the Wisconsin Billiards Hall of Fame. Every inductee chose someone to present/introduce them. Willie asked me to introduce him.

While Iím honored and can share some stories of my one pocket mentor, Iíve only known him 13-14 years, when he was already a senior citizen and his best days had past. I could use any anecdotal stories or funny memories from yesteryear.

Since WI and IL are my stompin' grounds, Willie was usually at most large events, knocking on the door and keeping the top pros from getting lazy, often playing on Sundays in pro events. He like Louie Lemke had game, & Willie had that sincere softness that made you feel comfortable immediately when being around him, similar to family and good friends. I'm so glad he's still around.

Tell em I said hi, and I'd like ya ta pm me with contact info if it's ok with him, I get up there bout every year/family.
no link....
Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Verified Member

Thanks guys. Keep em coming!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Verified Member

I was playing Willie in his home pool room in Milwaukee on the first table to the left as you walk in.

We were playing 9 ball for $20. a game and racking for each other.

I had him about $200. loser partly because I kept making the 9 on the break.

Finally at one point I made the 9 twice in a row and as I got ready to break I thought to myself " If I make the 9 ball one more time Willie will quit."

That's exactly what happened.

Bill S.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Verified Member

I was playing Willie in his home pool room in Milwaukee on the first table to the left as you walk in.

We were playing 9 ball for $20. a game and racking for each other.

I had him about $200. loser partly because I kept making the 9 on the break.

Finally at one point I made the 9 twice in a row and as I got ready to break I thought to myself " If I make the 9 ball one more time Willie will quit."

That's exactly what happened.

Bill S.