Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Verified Member

Regarding the slow pace of One Pocket as compared to 9-ball, I think its part of the charm. It gives players and sweaters time to contemplate the ins and outs of shot choices. For those who want to speed things up all the time, would you want to speed up a Baseball game? The tempo or pace or rhythm of the game is half the charm. Can you imagine Ernie Harwell talking 60 miles an hour when he gives the count? Don't the time lapses between one pitch and another add drama and excitement? Quit trying to re-invent the game.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff sparks View Post
I don't think the comparison between quitting smoking and speeding up play is related...
Heh. I was just thinking that how long one has been doing something has no bearing on whether it's a good idea to continue.

Quote:
I too believe that speeding up the game with a shot clock would help the fan base and go further and eons faster towards acquiring more players and a much broader fan base.
I am not however in the camp that would hurt or denigrate the game of one pocket
Given the right technology and method of enforcement, I don't see how it can harm the game. (Being anal is a curse... why reward it? )

Quote:

It's a moot point, unless some authoritative group or governing body takes the bull by the horns and incorporates a reasonable shot clock rule for tournament play. One that proves out over time and is wholly accepted and welcomed by the players and the public.
Not quite ready for prime time, IMO, but I like the idea. Here's what I would do (somebody knows how, but I don't.) Two digital stop watches on the same circuit that clip to the players' clothing, one for each. When either is "clicked" both chime softly so one guy knows the other hasn't "clicked" when he shouldn't. "Click" at the end of your inning, starting the timer for the opponent. This would allow Petie's method to work, and I think it's best: total time for a match (as in "speed chess") being what is tracked, not time for each individual shot

Quote:
Until then we will just have to suffer the old traditional (oops!) the same way we have been playing the game since it was invented...

Quote:
Who would you bet on? The winner gets to play Cory Dueul...another speedster at the table.
JJ. It's not a matter of playing quickly, it's a matter of seeing and sorting 5 options in 4 seconds (like Dr. Bill.) Cory plays relatively fast (except when he's trying to sort the stack when nothing is obvious) but he appears to me not to consider the strategic advantage of shots that have no obvious immediate offensive value.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie View Post
The tempo or pace or rhythm of the game is half the charm.
I'm "charmed" by dogs and small children...period.

Do you play poker? I think players who persistently take a long time to act on decisions they make immediately/automatically should be strung up. (Sometimes I think they're trying to keep down their cost-per-minute for the money they lose.)

Quote:
Quit trying to re-invent the game.
Giving slow-thinkers and stallers a disadvantage is a move in the right direction IMO, but it's hardly "reinventing" the game, any more than air bags reinvented the automobile.

I like "3 fouls", TV colors of the 4 and 12, "cue ball fouls only", measle ball, "unsportsmanlike" sanctions, low-deflection shafts, phenolic resin, Kamui chalk, layered tips, and streaming. I don't like clay balls and dead elephants.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Verified Member

Maybe players who play slow should wear a special t-shirt or some embarrassing marker on them that indicates who are the traditionally slow players. An even better idea: www.SlowOnePocketPlayerDataBase.com
  • Comes with a Mugshot and a rap-sheet of stalled events, successful tournament wedges and other slow playing accomplishments and evils.

Better still, 'SlowPlayers' could become a 'category' page for www.BadActionPlayers.com / Other categories might include:
  • 'Make em' Post'
  • 'Pull up artists'
  • 'Sir Talks Alot'
  • 'Top 100 Pool Nits'
  • 'Shark Attacks'
  • 'My ball your ball'
  • 'That's not a foul'
  • 'Registered Cue Thieves'

I'm just riffing now. Might be time for my afternoon siesta.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:40 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
I like "3 fouls", TV colors of the 4 and 12, "cue ball fouls only", measle ball, "unsportsmanlike" sanctions, low-deflection shafts, phenolic resin, Kamui chalk, layered tips, and streaming. I don't like clay balls and dead elephants.
John,

Can I borrow this quote....sounds like a pop song in there somewhere. Maybe Doc and I can put it to music and make a fortune on a one-hit wonder. :
Old 06-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
I'm "charmed" by dogs and small children...period.

Do you play poker? I think players who persistently take a long time to act on decisions they make immediately/automatically should be strung up. (Sometimes I think they're trying to keep down their cost-per-minute for the money they lose.)

Giving slow-thinkers and stallers a disadvantage is a move in the right direction IMO, but it's hardly "reinventing" the game, any more than air bags reinvented the automobile.

Take two aspirins and call me when you feel better.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Verified Member

Never mind the spectators, the railbirds and the tournament directors. I don't think that an effort at time management can be regarded as reinventing the game of one pocket. Delay is really dead time for the guy on the stool, as you can't do much planning in our game, because you have no idea what the table will look like when it's your shot. When the guy at the table lets the air out of the ball, so to speak, he is imposing his will on his opponent unfairly. One of the instructors says 'beat people with a stick.' That should be the name of the game.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:47 PM
Verified Member

I'll be 100% in favor of using shot clocks in one-pocket..... just as soon as they start using them in baseball.

Shot clocks will never come into common usage in one-pocket. The owners and promoters are not going to buy them, and the players don't like them. In chess, without a shot clock, some contestants would sit there for an hour before each turn going over every possible move and historical situation before he budged. So chess had to do something.

People who continually bring up this subject are inadvertently suggesting that all tournament players be punished for a few bad apples. There are already umpteen ways to speed up matches which have become painfully slow or problematic. I've personally run several 1P tournaments, and only one time did I have to institute a speed up mechanism.

Look, they've already ruined the game of 9-ball/10-ball by speeding it up with Texas Express rules: 1 foul BIH, and 3 foul loss of game. This was to get 9-ball on TV. How much 9-ball is now on TV? And of course one-pocket will NEVER be watched by the public.

Leave one-pocket to be played the way it was intended. If in a tournament there is a seriously problematically slow match, then there are ways to handle that.

~Doc
Old 06-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dave View Post
John,

Can I borrow this quote....sounds like a pop song in there somewhere. Maybe Doc and I can put it to music and make a fortune on a one-hit wonder. :
Picture yourself dancing to it with me watching... hands over both eyes but peeking out between index and middle fingers. (Never could avoid looking at a train wreck.)
Old 06-17-2016, 08:28 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapros View Post
Never mind the spectators, the railbirds and the tournament directors. I don't think that an effort at time management can be regarded as reinventing the game of one pocket. Delay is really dead time for the guy on the stool, as you can't do much planning in our game, because you have no idea what the table will look like when it's your shot. When the guy at the table lets the air out of the ball, so to speak, he is imposing his will on his opponent unfairly. One of the instructors says 'beat people with a stick.' That should be the name of the game.
^^^^^^^
That!