Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Verified Member

Actually shooting at the 7 then draw into the 10 and pocketing as a free shot, is realistic. Your close to your work, but key....the 10 is slightly off the rail creating a much larger target zone, plus if ya hit it bad, both are on the long rail and 7 is on your side.
no link....

Last edited by Island Drive; 03-08-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
dont you just leave him a free straight back ??
The straight back from this position is not a good option and not free. Using left or no English will leave the cue ball by you side pocket and leave an easy shot on the ten ball.
Using right English to get the cue ball down table now makes the shot very difficult and hard to control. Even if you succeed the cue ball again is on the wrong side of the table and again leaves a shot on the ten ball.

The option he might try is to two rail that ball, but to get it close to your hole you would have to hit it very deep out of the corner, Most tables will not accept that two railer from this position unless you back spin the object ball to shorten it up, hard to do if you're on the rail. Maybe on a table that banks short.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
dont you just leave him a free straight back ??
The two-railer will be better than the straightback, IMO, and pretty damned sweet, almost strainght.

edit: Frank, I see you and I have a different idea of where the CB will land off the 7, and it makes a big difference. I assume you're right (but I think you meant a table that banks long)

Last edited by LSJohn; 03-08-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Verified Member

I need one you need three...I will shoot the seven and we can play from there for 50 a pop and reset it as many times as you want...go ahead and shoot the 2 railer...

B
Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
The two-railer will be better than the straightback, IMO, and pretty damned sweet, almost strainght.

edit: Frank, I see you and I have a different idea of where the CB will land off the 7, and it makes a big difference. I assume you're right (but I think you meant a table that banks long)
John, I have confidence that I can lay both the seven ball and the cue ball on the rail to leave the shot I diagramed.

Regarding the two rail bank on the spotted ball on most tables that ball if shot natural it will travel the two rails to between the first and second diamond at the long rail. To bank it closer to the pocket you will have to shorten it a bit by either using right English on the cue ball to impart a bit of left spin on the object. Another way to shorten it would be to hit it harder. Either of these are difficult to do with the cue ball on the rail.
But there are some tables that bank "short" and will accept that bank with a natural hit.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Verified Member

Those are big pockets and the 10 is close enough to the pocket, I am playing the carom.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Almanza View Post
John, I have confidence that I can lay both the seven ball and the cue ball on the rail to leave the shot I diagramed.
I thought the CB would roll a little farther. If you can stop it short of the bottom rail's first diamond, I don't like the 2-rail any more, but might go for the straightback, planning to err on the over-cut side to let CB z to the third rail.

Quote:

Regarding the two rail bank on the spotted ball on most tables that ball if shot natural it will travel the two rails to between the first and second diamond at the long rail.
On My Blue Label Diamond: OB on the spot; CB on the rail, lined up to send a straight-on at one half diamond from the corner; straight high english; OB swish. I didn't think of 1/2 diamond as particularly "deep." Deeper goes shorter. My cloth is still pretty new. A little slide on the first rail but none on the second gets me shorter, so, on a different table, or older cloth, OB probably would need to hit deeper to be short enough. Got ya.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2017, 01:00 AM
Verified Member

For $10 a game I would shoot to carom in the 10ball in a heartbeat - in a hill-hill match at the DCC, no way would I shoot the carom...

In that serious game...using approx. 2 tips of inside english, I would bank the 7ball up to the area of the 4ball, while leaving the cueball on my opponent's long rail, approx. 1/2 diamond up from the foot rail - safety complete.

- Ghost
Old 03-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Verified Member

There are a lot of shots one could shoot but one shot I wouldn't shoot is anything concerning the ten ball. So that leaves the other two to choose from. Island liked banking the spotted ball and if struck correctly could end the game. The Barber played safe off the ball by the ten ball and that's a good choice too. I'd get the spotted ball up table and might even consider banking it three rails towards my hole and dragging the cueball back up table. It's a pretty free shot and will put heat on my opponent if I get it anywhere by my hole.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry matchin View Post
There are a lot of shots one could shoot but one shot I wouldn't shoot is anything concerning the ten ball. So that leaves the other two to choose from. Island liked banking the spotted ball and if struck correctly could end the game. The Barber played safe off the ball by the ten ball and that's a good choice too. I'd get the spotted ball up table and might even consider banking it three rails towards my hole and dragging the cueball back up table. It's a pretty free shot and will put heat on my opponent if I get it anywhere by my hole.
I agree with both Franks choice and Bill's choice noted above, Frank's is a very simple safety but if the 7ball is lined up to take the 10ball and 7ball away it could position both balls on the other side of the table and that wouldn't be good. Ghost's safety by playing the 7ball close to the 4ball using inside english is the better safety because you figure to win the first move off of his safety and there aren't any shots that could position two balls on the other side of the table.

The shot that is bolded above is a good offensive shot and it offers a good cue ball and no kisses. However, there are a couple things that can go wrong with the shot, one being that the 4ball could hit the side point and end up selling out a shot, the other is that you could over cut the 4ball and it could go two rails toward your opponents pocket. This option would be more inviting if the score were different, like maybe both players needing two balls or if the shooter needed all three balls then this option would be a very viable choice.

Dr. Bill