Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Verified Member

Default first time you ever played one pocket

mine was at starchers in akron-1980s--mike vero gave me 20 to 1--i had to put up 4 bucks-- i had no chance...at the time, i thought he was very lucky--now i know better....let's hear your story......
Old 07-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Verified Member

Houseman Walt Krebbs from the cue and cushion on Cottman St. in Phila mid 60's. I learned the word TRAP. I learned what it's like to be on the receiving end every frkn time.
I had no idea what I was doing...he had every idea of what to do. I considered flattening his tires but he had no car. He was my favorite player. I liked the guy a lot.
There was another guy in the room that played very good competitive 1P. I got in trouble immediately. However no money involved. I was as cheap then as I am now

Last edited by GoldCrown; 07-07-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Verified Member

Default first time you ever played one pocket

Fixed that for you, Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCrown View Post
However no money involved. I was as SMART then as I am now

For me, it was 7 years ago at Takony Billiards. The guy was old so I knew he couldn't beat me. Meanwhile... you know the rest. He murdered me while his buddy berated me mercilessly. Heh. .... and I've been hooked ever since.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Verified Member

student union at tulane university against jim "the harvard kid" (real name earl morgan...btw if anyone knows of him or has stories pm me please )
Old 07-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Verified Member

I first played one-pocket with a little guy named Earl Rapier at Greenway Billiards in Baton Rouge - Earl is long dead now. I remember him as a guy who was convinced that his luck was the worst in the world. He offered to bet that he could call a coin flip wrong sixty times out of a hundred. Of course he failed to post up.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
Fixed that for you, Frank.

For me, it was 7 years ago at Takony Billiards. The guy was old so I knew he couldn't beat me. Meanwhile... you know the rest. He murdered me while his buddy berated me mercilessly. Heh. .... and I've been hooked ever since.
And you are the first 1P diehard I met as I played next to you one day at Tacony.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 PM
Verified Member

The first one-pocket game that I can remember playing was in the late 60's for money at Chicago's legendary Bensinger's Pool Room on Broadway and Diversey. I was introduced to Bensinger's by Butch DENNIS who was a gifted left-handed nine ball player who played out of another pool room we both frequented. Butch DENNIS said to me at the time, "If you want to learn the pool game you've got to go around to other rooms and play better players." So off I went.

The first three pool players (I "really, really" mean pool hustlers) I met at Bensinger's were "Reno," "Freddy the Banker" (Freddy BENTIVENGA later known as "Freddy the Beard), and "Artie" (Artie BODENDORFER). "Reno" was an average player who hustled the bars and supposedly sent his siblings to college with his winnings whereas "Freddy" and "Artie" are now legendary in the pool world. "Reno" set me up with an old man who was playing straight pool on a 5 by 10 table. After our $20 straight pool game, I knew I had no chance and quit. Afterward, I told "Reno" that he was much better than me. "Reno" replied, "Kid, I guess I overestimated your game but I can find you something easier." I later found out that old man's name was Al Smith who never won a major straight pool championship but came in second in quite a few of them. Fat chance of winning that bet!

A few months later I returned to Bensinger's only to find "Reno," "Freddy the Banker," and "Artie" in the tournament room watching "Jerry the Clown" practicing straight pool on a Brunswick Gold Crown. "Jerry the Clown" was at least 400 pounds. "Reno" asked if I was looking for a straight pool game and rolled his eyes over to the fat man playing on the Gold Crown. The trio of hustlers assured and reassured that I had the advantage and should win any bet including the stipulation should he die at the table before the game was finished. The bet was made and the bet was lost. All that I remember is I broke the balls and "Jerry the Clown" ran 66 balls on a tough, gaffed up pool table before I made my first ball.

Another few months passed before I returned to Bensinger's only to find "Artie" practicing on the tournament table. I suppose he was licking his chops when he saw me walk in. I knew he was the best player in Chicago and I had no chance in any game yet he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was then that I played my first one-pocket game for money. No, actually my first ten games of one-pocket for money. "Artie" offered me the break and go to 2 while he goes to 9. But the catch was if I win I get $10 but if he wins he gets $100. I was foolishly giving 10 to 1 on the money. I was in a trap with a shark and didn't even know it. Yet, I can't remember if I even knew how to properly break the balls but somehow I won ten games in a row and quit. The last thing I can recall is someone saying as I walked out, "Hey, that young kid just hustled Artie out of a hundred bucks." Ah, I love pool.

Last edited by J.R.; 07-12-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:21 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
The first one-pocket game that I can remember playing was in the late 60's for money at Chicago's legendary Bensinger's Pool Room on Broadway and Diversey. I was introduced to Bensinger's by Butch DENNIS who was a gifted left-handed nine ball player who played out of another pool room we both frequented. Butch DENNIS said to me at the time, "If you want to learn the pool game you've got to go around to other rooms and play better players." So off I went.

The first three pool players (I "really, really" mean pool hustlers) I met at Bensinger's were "Reno," "Freddy the Banker" (Freddy BENTIVENGA later known as "Freddy the Beard), and "Artie" (Artie BODENDORFER). "Reno" was an average player who hustled the bars and supposedly sent his siblings to college with his winnings whereas "Freddy" and "Artie" are now legendary in the pool world. "Reno" set me up with an old man who was playing straight pool on a 5 by 10 table. After our $20 straight pool game, I knew I had no chance and quit. Afterward, I told "Reno" that he was much better than me. "Reno" replied, "Kid, I guess I overestimated your game but I can find you something easier." I later found out that old man's name was Al Smith who never won a major straight pool championship but came in second in quite a few of them. Fat chance of winning that bet!

A few months later I returned to Bensinger's only to find "Reno," "Freddy the Banker," and "Artie" in the tournament room watching "Jerry the Clown" practicing straight pool on a Brunswick Gold Crown. "Jerry the Clown" was at least 400 pounds. "Reno" asked if I was looking for a straight pool game and rolled his eyes over to the fat man playing on the Gold Crown. The trio of hustlers assured and reassured that I had the advantage and should win any bet including the stipulation should he die at the table before the game was finished. The bet was made and the bet was lost. All that I remember is I broke the balls and "Jerry the Clown" ran 66 balls on a tough, gaffed up pool table before I made my first ball.

Another few months passed before I returned to Bensinger's only to find "Artie" practicing on the tournament table. I suppose he was licking his chops when he saw me walk in. I knew he was the best player in Chicago and I had no chance in any game yet he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was then that I played my first one-pocket game for money. No, actually my first ten games of one-pocket for money. "Artie" offered me the break and go to 2 while he goes to 9. But the catch was if I win I get $10 but if he wins he gets $100. 10 to 1 on the money. I was in a trap with a shark and didn't even know it. Yet, I can't remember if I even knew how to properly break the balls but somehow I won ten games in a row and quit. The last thing I can recall is someone saying as I walked out, "Hey, that young kid just hustled Artie out of a hundred bucks." Ah, I love pool.
great stories John, i like how your boys kept steering you to that "easy action" haha---reminds me of when i was hanging around with jr gay at derby city one year and i asked him to get me some easy op action...... it probably seemed easy to a great player like him, but the guy shot straighter than orcullo..... of course i lost......
Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 AM
Verified Member

j.r.
great story
i thought artie never lost.....
Old 07-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Administrator

I've told this before I am sure. I was definitely late to the party because up here in NH One Pocket was simply not to be found. But I would hear about the game now and then, and how it was "the chess of pool" and it intrigued me from the beginning because I always liked the moving and strategy part of any game.

Finally when I was about 40, there was a guy from NJ who moved up here, and as I remember it I had a slight edge on him at 9-ball and straight pool, so one day he asked me to play One Pocket instead, I said I would give it a try. About three weeks and a few hundred dollars and a whole lot of lucky shots by him later, that was my introduction to the game. Then, just as I was starting to have a half a chance to win a game now and then, he moved away. But I was hooked. I wish I could remember his name. BTW we were playing on big pocket tables -- probably about 5" and he was therefor playing pretty aggressively which was paying off for him.

After that I began to drive to rooms that were a little farther away that I heard had One Pocket players.