Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Verified Member

Default Playing straight pool with Earl

So last year sometime I was at Fuscos and decided to shoot some straight pool. Earl was there practicing and during a break came over to shoot the bull. Well I go to shoot a ball and he stops me and says ďNo donít shoot that shoot the 5 ball!Ē So I did. Then Earl says... ďNow shoot this ball because you want to come out for these twoĒ. And I said ďokĒ lol. Well Earl proceeded to walk me through two full racks telling me each shot what to shoot and why. I was so excited that I am surprised I could shoot straight (that always shocks me though when it happens though lol). What an absolute treat and one of those pool memories that I will enjoy forever.

I have been starting to practice straight pool a little bit recently for ball running/pattern practice and trying to work on shooting consistency. Itís one of the reasons Iím enjoying John Schmidtís current attempts, so I can learn because Iíve never really watched the game.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Verified Member

What a nice treat, Mitch! We always think of Earl as a master 9-baller, but he plays all games well.

Straight pool is a wonderful game & discipline, and it teaches a guy how to work the stack. I think it's the toughest game in terms of concentration and nerves. After a guy runs a bunch of balls, the pressure mounts on every shot; especially the last 3 balls before the break. Sadly most rooms no longer even have the scoring beads installed.

~Doc
Old 04-10-2019, 09:33 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
What a nice treat, Mitch! We always think of Earl as a master 9-baller, but he plays all games well.

Straight pool is a wonderful game & discipline, and it teaches a guy how to work the stack. I think it's the toughest game in terms of concentration and nerves. After a guy runs a bunch of balls, the pressure mounts on every shot; especially the last 3 balls before the break. Sadly most rooms no longer even have the scoring beads installed.

~Doc

Yeah Doc whenever he would practice straight pool at fuscos he would run 100+ balls. And itís funny and true what you said about those last few balls. I played some yesterday and ran 13/14 several times and couldnít get through to the next rack. New guy stuff. I know that will improve with practice and I think I could string a few balls together. The first time I ever tried straight pool I ran a 52 on a fluke. But havenít come close since lolol.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Verified Member

When I haven't been playing one pocket for a while, I'll practice straight pool for about three days straight. Amazing how it gets you in stroke for one pocket.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLongArm View Post
When I haven't been playing one pocket for a while, I'll practice straight pool for about three days straight. Amazing how it gets you in stroke for one pocket.
I will second that. I have started playing straight pool recently. I think it helps with the following:
- Helps getting/staying in stroke.
- Concentration
- Position play
- Patterns
- Stack reading
- How to deal with clusters
- Caroms

to name few....
Old 04-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Verified Member

Iím jealous that you got to have Earl explain his thinking to you. I always enjoy when someone takes time to teach me something!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
Iím jealous that you got to have Earl explain his thinking to you. I always enjoy when someone takes time to teach me something!

Yeah I agree Mark. I was thrilled!
Old 04-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Verified Member

I joined a straight pool leagueb2 years ago for the first time at red shoes. On those days I had a match, I felt sorry for my one pocket opponents afterwards. My shot selection may not be the best, but if I dont miss... look out.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Verified Member

I watched a stream years ago that had Earl playing Archer on the final day of a 3 day all around. It was one of the most exciting pool Iíve ever saw.
I asked the guy that streamed it (canít remember his name) when he had Archer and Varner in Highpockets for an exhibition if he had copies of the match for sale. He said he sold the rights away or something and had no way to see it again.
What a shame.~T
Old 04-10-2019, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFats View Post
I joined a straight pool leagueb2 years ago for the first time at red shoes. On those days I had a match, I felt sorry for my one pocket opponents afterwards. My shot selection may not be the best, but if I dont miss... look out.
You have a couple pretty strong straight pool players at Red Shoes, don't you? Or maybe they are "has beens" now lol