Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Verified Member

I'm crossing the 3 to place the cueball at the top rail underneath the 2 ball.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Verified Member

Default WWYD, Bottom Right, Need 4

These mid game situations are where I need the most work - when there isnít a clear easy choice. Thanks for all your responses. Dr Bill, always a pleasure picking your brain!

MM
Old 01-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
The kick to the 1ball is only good if you can hide at least half of the 4ball. If you allow your opponent to see the 4ball where all he needs to do is shoot it to the bottom rail then the kick is useless. (SNIP)

Dr. Bill
I don't quite follow. You mean the opponent, if he can see half or more of the 4, would counter by hitting the 4 to the bottom rail, or that the opponent would bank the 4 and roll the cueball to the bottom rail?

If my opponent wants to put the 4 on the bottom rail closer to my hole, I'm happy. If he banks the 4 to my side, I'm happy. If he banks the 4 uptable, I'm happy. On the other hand, hitting the 4 super thin takes a lot more touch than kicking into the 1, though I agree that the outcome if successful is even better.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Verified Member

I'm slow kicking into the one. If he has the kahoneys to cross bank that 4 ball I'd love for him to.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Verified Member

Cory and Renegade, I think the point Dr. Bill was making on the 1 kick is that if you kick into the 1, the CB is going to end up on the left side of the 1 (looking at the photo). Therefore your opponent is going to be able to see the whole 4 ball, allowing him to escape easily and bank the 4 to the bottom rail and follow the CB down to the end rail putting you back to a similar position.

Whereas, if you move the 4 a touch to the right thinning it and going up table with the CB and now block him from seeing the 4, he is going to have to look for an alternative escape route which will not be as easy to execute.

icbw but that's what I got from it..
Old 01-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Verified Member

Howdy All;

Which way ya kickin' at the 1? I see 2 ways to do that, off the top Left side rail which,
apparently, is the the choice de'jour or off the Right side rail?
Gotta ask.

hank
Old 01-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankh View Post
Howdy All;

Which way ya kickin' at the 1? I see 2 ways to do that, off the top Left side rail which,
apparently, is the the choice de'jour or off the Right side rail?
Gotta ask.

hank
Right side is dangerous because of the kiss (or double kiss as most say) and harder to do.

Rodney Stephens.
(e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working
Old 01-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
Cory and Renegade, I think the point Dr. Bill was making on the 1 kick is that if you kick into the 1, the CB is going to end up on the left side of the 1 (looking at the photo). Therefore your opponent is going to be able to see the whole 4 ball, allowing him to escape easily and bank the 4 to the bottom rail and follow the CB down to the end rail putting you back to a similar position.

Whereas, if you move the 4 a touch to the right thinning it and going up table with the CB and now block him from seeing the 4, he is going to have to look for an alternative escape route which will not be as easy to execute.

icbw but that's what I got from it..
Thats exactly the way I see it, but you should try to protect the 4ball and the 13ball. Yku do this by softly brushing the 4ball and go to the side rail not allowing your opponent to see either ball.

Dr. Ball
Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 PM
Verified Member

androd, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by androd View Post
Right side is dangerous because of the kiss (or double kiss as most say) and harder to do.
Ok, it may be "harder to do" but don't we learn more by accepting the challenge
of a harder shot? $'s wern't mentioned so why not attempt it or even kicking
into the 3 ball from the Right side?
Being curious and trying to learn here.
Thanks.

hank
Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankh View Post
androd, Howdy;

Ok, it may be "harder to do" but don't we learn more by accepting the challenge
of a harder shot? $'s wern't mentioned so why not attempt it or even kicking
into the 3 ball from the Right side
?
Being curious and trying to learn here.
Thanks.

hank
Hey Hank, glad to see you are picking people''s brains thats a great way to learn! Here is my take for you and hope it helps.

One thing you should notice before leaving the CB up table is that the 6 and 15 can both be cut and made in his hole unless you get the CB over to the left side of the table. Anything outside of that upper left hand quadrant puts you in a danger zone when your opponent gets to the table, he could make one of those balls and get quite a few, they all go in his hole.

So, knowing you have to have the CB over to the left, that eliminates the "kicking to the 3 ball" shot.

Now, to kick to that upper left quadrant you can go from the left or right.

From the right that 6 ball and 15 are both pretty big balls. It's going to be hard for you to kick into the 1 or to that area without hitting one of those balls. Hit one of those balls and you may lose quite a few from there. Unless you are purposely intending on taking a foul and you kick from the right to the long rail, then head rail to the right of the 1 and then play a speed that rests in that upper left area.

From the left there are 0 balls in your way. An intentional is ok but you do have a good chance to make a legal hit and drive the 1 to the short rail and snuggle up to it.

However, as pointed out later thinning the 4 would be better because you hide it from your opponent being able to play a safety off it.

Hope that made sense!