Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Verified Member

Can you safe break by kick banking the cue ball into the side of the rack similar to a one pocket break?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Verified Member

Thanks guys for the posts, I'd still like to know what guys think of who should match up for a big challenged match with a full rack? My vote is Dennis Orcollo vs. anyone, not because he might be the best banker, but I believe it is recognized he is the best money game man!

I find it very interesting about the break, for I am not up to speed in how the game is played today. But Crabbcatjohn, since threading this I did reviewed DCC bank rules and BCAPL, and I believe this is the break ruling, any racked ball can be first contacted, and then thereafter either a ball must be pocketed or a ball must go past the side pocket.

It used to be 4 balls had to hit a rail and that is called an "Open Break". Funny in my '68 BCA rule book; Bank Pool is still not recognized as a game, so one has to wonder when BCA started recognizing it.

Crabtbcatjohn, do not rely on my answer on the break, for I am hear to learn, so I also have to refer to more knowledgeable members! Whitey
Old 04-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Verified Member

John b. Would tear Dennis o. Out of the frame at full rack. Shannon D. Plays full rack pretty sporty also.

B
Old 04-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgcp View Post
John b. Would tear Dennis o. Out of the frame at full rack. Shannon D. Plays full rack pretty sporty also.

B
it is a different game than 5 and out for sure imo....

yep JB plays all banks incredibly but I bet his full rack is damn strong!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbcatjohn View Post
Can you safe break by kick banking the cue ball into the side of the rack similar to a one pocket break?
Yes, you can "safe break" by kick banking the cue ball into the side of the rack similar to a one pocket break. And just like in one pocket, at least one of the object balls from the rack must make contact with a rail, otherwise, it is a foul.

However, if a player decides to use a "kick-bank safe break," the strategy is suspect because the incoming player can easily shoot a strong safety by glancing off the rack and rolling the cue ball to the back rail.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Yes, you can "safe break" by kick banking the cue ball into the side of the rack similar to a one pocket break. And just like in one pocket, at least one of the object balls from the rack must make contact with a rail, otherwise, it is a foul.

However, if a player decides to use a "kick-bank safe break," the strategy is suspect because the incoming player can easily shoot a strong safety by glancing off the rack and rolling the cue ball to the back rail.
That's interesting, never seen anybody do it but i was curious is why i asked. Thanks for the insight.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
The Jansco Brothers never included Banks in their all-arounds. There were a couple/few all-around format tournaments between Johnston City and DCC but pretty much one offs. I believe one used something like a race to 23 balls, that was full rack... not totally sure though. I think that "race to a number of balls) was an RA innovation.
You are correct Steve. That was the Dayton tournaments during the 70's and early 80's when Joe Burns owned the place. The reason it was a Race to 23 was so it would only take three racks max to finish. Joe was an excellent Bank Pool player, the best in Dayton. He used to spar with Eddie Taylor getting 9-7. I beat Larry Lisciotti and Willie Munson the one year I played back there. Lost to Cannonball and Steve Cook.

P.S. Full Rack was the only way I ever saw Banks played until the early 80's in the Clyde Childress tourney. They shortened it to make the matches go faster and they did! We used to play a Race to Five, Bank Pool in those days. The first one I ever played in like that in Lexington (1984) I lost in the first round to Earl 5-zip! I was so mad I practiced all night and then I beat Mike Lebron, Louie Lemke and Freddy the Beard in order. Dave Bollman finally eliminated me in a hill-hill, 4 balls each match!

Last edited by jay helfert; 05-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Verified Member

I wonder why traditional bank pool (full rack or even 5 and out) is such a different game than by-the-rail.

There are some around here that can win one way and not the other way. I figured, banking is banking and the better banker will win...but not always the case!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Verified Member

I would be more than happy to play some full rack while at the members tournament. I hit balls into the rail already it shouldn’t be that hard for me.

B
Old 06-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Verified Member

Best banker today is Tony Cohan, then John Brumback. Safe break, full break, Tony is the best if his head is into it that day. John is probably the best technical banker, but T-Rex is number 1. Sorry Col. But you’re third! (Outta three). I don’t like full rack because it is too slow. Could it be I’m not a good banker? Yes that’s the answer but I will play almost anyone banks who is not a professional. I open break because it is already a slow enough game, there isn’t enough money in the world to play safe break. A ball on the break would be a foul unless you are just talking about shooting again after the break. Like I said, let’s get together Whitey and exchange some cash. It’s five hours to Portland for me. Middle ground? I can take the wife on a mini vacation, she can hike and see the sights, we can see the green, now blue, felt.
After July 30th, give a week or two for healing.