Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2019, 11:13 AM
Verified Member

When I'm bitten, I always ask my self "do i want to give this guy this gift, sometimes Yes sometimes No"
Anytime I get any back I consider it a score. Needless to say I'm a little hard
to bite. (after 67 years in the pool room.)
P.S. It wasn't always like that, experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Rodney Stephens.
(e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working
Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
I very much enjoyed your write up and appreciate your perspective, Jason. However, John Turturro said it better than I could in the movie Rounders...”about the money, I gotta do this, I gotta say no.”

https://youtu.be/z7NxEj4A1Cg
the truck....will always be there for you. (you work, you receive)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Verified Member

This is the start of a great thread. I have been bitten hundreds of times over the last 55 years in the pool room. Some of those bites really bothered me others didn't. Some of the bites that didn't bother me came from Ritchie Florence. Ritchie busted me out many a time and laughed about it but he was such an action guy that I didn't mind because he outran the nuts. When he had his stroke times got bad for him. He couldn't navigate the way he did when he was young and he stayed broke. I felt terrible for him and used to take him to the track and pay the expenses plus give him a $100. Once or twice he made a score and the old cocky Ritchie would emerge and I'd be happy for him. But he could't keep money in his pocket. I just kept trying to make his life a little better. Same for Cole but I didn't see him as much. The worst bite I was involved in was when I loaned three older players my cue for a match. I got it back in twenty pieces as one of the guys broke it when he lost. I never got anything for it and I learned a valuable lesson, which was, never give anything unless you can afford to lose it. Its OK to help others out but keep it clear as to what exactly you are doing and you'll be better for it.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:38 PM
Verified Member

Best way I’ve been bitten is by one of the guys at my local room who every now and then asks for $20, but always pays it back at some point. The last time he asked it was,”Mike, do I owe you any money?” I answered no....without missing a beat he responded with a smile and said in a soft voice,’”Well I sure would like to!” How could I resist and gave him $20.00.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
Thank you, very nice article. Ronnie Allen bit me more times than I can count. I met him while in High School and in his later years, along with many others, helped him out when he asked. I took him to Derby City and Galveston and we went to the race track quite a few times over the years, and for someone who loved the horses as much as RA and went as often as he did, he was an awful handicapper. I picked up bad checks written to the pool room and even a cue or two out of hock a time or two. I never regretted it, Ronnie was Ronnie.

Did he take advantage of our friendship, sure, but I could afford it and enjoyed his company until the drinking got so bad it was hard to be around him anymore.

Ronnie, like Cliff is one of a kind and we are not likely to run into anyone like them again. You are one of the few I know who loves one pocket as much as I do, and a lot of that love came from these two guys. We are lucky to have known them.
I also contributed to Ronnies retirement fund. Ronnie tried to teach me some one pocket but I was hopeless I can still see him going nuts when I was in action playing one pocket when he was in. Ronnie was pretty much in on the winners and out of the losers. I never loaned Ronnie money as I never expected to get it back it was a gift and I felt good about it. Ronnie called me right before he went into the surgery that ended his life and he was all about action he was coming to Chico and I was going to put up the money and he was going to play Jason who had busted us a couple months before. I miss Ronnie and don't regret one dime I "loaned" him
Old 02-25-2019, 07:20 PM
Verified Member

They have every right to ask for a handout , and I have every right to tell them to take a hike.
I will buy anyone that says they are hungry, something to eat, but I am not an ATM for pool room debris.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:55 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Jackets View Post
They have every right to ask for a handout , and I have every right to tell them to take a hike.
I will buy anyone that says they are hungry, something to eat, but I am not an ATM for pool room debris.
Good point, Billy Jackets, i guess i just have levels for the debris. Some never, some maybe, some always, never said i was smart. Lol.

Me. "Sure"
Old 02-26-2019, 09:50 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
Good point, Billy Jackets, i guess i just have levels for the debris. Some never, some maybe, some always, never said i was smart. Lol.
If we were all the same it would be boring as hell.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:35 AM
Verified Member

I have been inoculated for "the bite." How? By having kids and grandkids. Let me explain. Having kids and grandkids is like having a bunch of little broke best friends that think you're rich. I can never refuse them but I can respectfully refuse to have "poolkids."
Old 02-27-2019, 11:48 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
I have been inoculated for "the bite." How? By having kids and grandkids. Let me explain. Having kids and grandkids is like having a bunch of little broke best friends that think you're rich. I can never refuse them but I can respectfully refuse to have "poolkids."
Hear, hear !! John, you hit the nail on the head for us with grandkids.

Trouble is, I can not refuse them, hardly ever.

The pool "bites" I have had never hurt me at all. Golf, tennis, poker and many other games I am sure have their fair share of people that need a little help once in a while.