Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Verified Member

Thumbs up pics from the snap article "hustlers jamboree"

a new person to the pool room lent me some old pool magazines.
thanks chuck....
one was the snap from july/august 1991
the feature article was about the "hustlers jamboree" johnston city
it had some pics of players i had not seen before and some pics of players i did not know
i will post a few pics at a time so there will be several posts

Name:  fatty mag pic.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  ronnie pic.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  grady pic 2.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  snap mag 2 pic.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  52.3 KB
Old 05-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Verified Member

more pics
Name:  danny di upright.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  46.3 KB
Name:  dr bill upright pic.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  34.5 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harry the horse pic.jpg (41.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg omaha fats pic.jpg (25.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Verified Member

more pics
any stories about cosmo? didnt know that name
Name:  omaha fats pic.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  cosmo pic.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  41.9 KB
Old 05-06-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
more pics
any stories about cosmo? didnt know that name
Attachment 24407

Attachment 24408
In 1969 I spent some time around a pool hall in North Hollywood that I don't remember the name of but for some reason I remember the street names of Franklin and Wilcox.
I remember the owner was named Richie who was gone a lot of the time to the track but one regular there was Fred who according to him was from Allentown Pennsylvania.
I remember him because he let me rack the balls and kept score while he practiced straight pool and he played it well, he'd get over a hundred sometimes but did a lot of runs in the eighties.
So he was the guy Richie would back against other players that would come by looking for a game and usually he won but I did finally see him getting rattled for the first time when he was losing one night and always have wondered who that guy was that came in one day that Fred wouldn't even consider playing, spot or not.

Then one day there were a lot of fliers printed out that advertised an upcoming exhibition there by "The Clown Prince of Pool", Tom Cosmos and yes I thought he looked a little goofy as he carried on with the jokes as he walked around the pool table doing a few trick shots.
What I heard many years later was someone talking about a layout on the table with nothing but wired combos and other cinch shots and the guy caled it "a cosmo".
Then I learned that came from the performances of Cosmo because he had apparently laid out the table like that so he could joke and nonchalantly whack balls in without any real aiming necessary.

I worked on me in 1969 because I never noticed he hadn't randomly tossed balls on the table, he just joked as he set them down around the table and like I suspect others there I never looked at the table until he starting shooting.
Sorta like the Mizerak Lite Beer commercial many years later.

Anyway that's the last time I ever saw Cosmo or even heard of since then, but I have often wondered if anyone here knew about what happened to him, but I wonder even more about that guy Fred (bald head, dark under his eyes, smoked, basically my image of a hustler).

I'll add this, a bunch of Italian guys would come in as a group and they would only play pool (poorly) with one another and they were entertaining as they yelled and cursed at each other then flashed cash as they bet high.
But now looking back I remember that no one in the pool room even tried to make a game with any of them even tho they had a lot of gamble and a lot cash.
They were totally left alone by everyone and it puzzled me because back in Fort Worth pool halls I grew up around they would've been considered too tempting to ignore.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Verified Member

Love the pics, thanks for posting them!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasalias View Post
In 1969 I spent some time around a pool hall in North Hollywood that I don't remember the name of but for some reason I remember the street names of Franklin and Wilcox.
Hi Alias,

I used to live a block away from Franklin & Wilcox in Hollywood, but there was never a poolroom there. In '69, the North Hollywood poolrooms were N. Hollywood Billiards (Tiff Payne's) on Magnolia; Chopstix on Victory; and Big Mamma's on Laurel Canyon Blvd. There was a room in Van Nuys on Van Nuys Blvd. There was a room on Vineland Ave. as well, but I can't recall the name.

Maybe someone will know the man "Fred" you're referring to.

~Doc
Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasalias View Post
In 1969

Then one day there were a lot of fliers printed out that advertised an upcoming exhibition there by "The Clown Prince of Pool", Tom Cosmos and yes I thought he looked a little goofy as he carried on with the jokes as he walked around the pool table doing a few trick shots.
What I heard many years later was someone talking about a layout on the table with nothing but wired combos and other cinch shots and the guy caled it "a cosmo".
Then I learned that came from the performances of Cosmo because he had apparently laid out the table like that so he could joke and nonchalantly whack balls in without any real aiming necessary.

I worked on me in 1969 because I never noticed he hadn't randomly tossed balls on the table, he just joked as he set them down around the table and like I suspect others there I never looked at the table until he starting shooting.
Sorta like the Mizerak Lite Beer commercial many years later.

Anyway that's the last time I ever saw Cosmo or even heard of since then, but I have often wondered if anyone here knew about what happened to him, but I wonder even more about that guy Fred (bald head, dark under his eyes, smoked, basically my image of a hustler).

thanks for the reply
Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Verified Member

old time pool player from new your city. ran lots of balls playing straight pool for small amounts with people. dont know much about him someone said he was an old vaudeville actor. hustled the bars around and was mostly a funny drunk. but i only saw him in a pool room broke or seemingly so.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
Hi Alias,

I used to live a block away from Franklin & Wilcox in Hollywood, but there was never a poolroom there. In '69, the North Hollywood poolrooms were N. Hollywood Billiards (Tiff Payne's) on Magnolia; Chopstix on Victory; and Big Mamma's on Laurel Canyon Blvd. There was a room in Van Nuys on Van Nuys Blvd. There was a room on Vineland Ave. as well, but I can't recall the name.

Maybe someone will know the man "Fred" you're referring to.

~Doc
What can I say? I was crashing in a broke down 56 ford in a lot between a motel and Hughes supermarket and all this was a short walk from the pool room I mentioned.
Maybe I'm off about the exact location of the pool room but I'm sure you know of the Hughes supermarket and I remember that in particular because I helped get this older drunk guy up off the sidewalk to help him continue to walk (he said he lived very close by).
Until these two obviously gay guys came to his aid and seemed to know him well (and the guy didn't object) so he was all theirs and one whispered to me this was Mr. Hughes (not the rich recluse guy, but it's why I remember the name).

The pool room I mention was a matter of blocks away (I don't remember how many but it wasn't a long walk there nor from Hollywood Blvd direction) and it was on the top floor on the short side of an 'L' shaped shopping strip that had a liquor store among the stores and directly below the pool room was a bar (open to 6 am) with some western sounding name like 'Buffaloes' (but could be very wrong on that as I never went in there).
I could draw a picture of the inside of the pool room the table Fred played on right in front of the counter and a lot of other details (they had a great sound system) so maybe I'm off a year or two and the place folded.But it existed.
In my short time in LA I got busted on Sunset Strip, spent a few months in the LA County jail and upon release I made my way back to that pool room for the last time as it turns out.
When I walked into the place there were men in suits with serious looks on their faces, turns out they were Detectives and the place had been burglarized the night before, and an angry Richie pointed straight at me saying "He's one of them that hangs around here".

Long story shorter, I had my release papers from LA County and the Court that proved I couldn't have been involved (why I would I come back the next day if I were guilty?) so they handed my papers back and in no uncertain terms Richie told me to get out and "don't come back".
I never did and one Greyhound ride later I was back in Ft worth.

So I have strong memories about the place but I have no idea how long it had been there when I first went there and wasn't in LA very many months but the majority of short time was spent in the County jail.
For all I know it folded the last time I saw it, this I don't know but I do know the place was there.