Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Verified Member

Many, many, years ago.
Raised by rabid Christians, who to them, pool meant "straight to hell".
Snuck into a pool room, I immediately fell in love with it. I prefer hell to religion.
Liberal since Vietnam War.
Marched against the war, Nixon, for Civil Rights
and have marched ever since
Back injury 2003 wrecked my life and my game.
After many years of treatment, drugs, patience, I have recovered 70% of my game which was never that good to start.
Goal: to be a short stop
Born Chicago
raised Miami Beach
educated in Kentucky
moved to Santa Cruz 1976
Played Fast Eddys Santa Cruz
moved to San Francisco 1984
played Family Billiards
moved to San Jose 2006
played California Billiards
University of Louisville 1972-1976
California General Contractor B-1
Washington State General Contractor
Self Employed- 1980- 2000
2001-2005 Light Rail Building inspector, City of San Jose
2005-2014 Disabled
Playing Cue> Bobby Hunter
Break Cue> Cognoscenti
One pocket instructor:J R Hendy
Old 10-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Verified Member

Billy Kuykendall, 58, Cullman, Al. I have only been playing one pocket a few years. I played barbox pool for a living from the mid 70's until the early 90's, except for 6 years working in the oil fields. I made a lot of road trips in the 80's with Earl Kellum. I quit playing for 20 years and took up golf, opened a business that lasted 14 years, and had to close due to health reasons. I have been back playing for 5 years off and on.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Verified Member

given name...larry landsman
living now in vero beach fl
started playing aroiund 15-16 in my hometown community center
went to school at tulane in the 1970s
played in the student union and in the college bars
thought i was pretty good until
got hustled by a road player who had sympathy and took me to the sports palace...
and explained the game of one pocket to me...
after watching the likes of earl heisler/new york blackie/st louie louie/bugs rucker quickly realized there was a level of skill playing pool id never seen...
or would get to........
played only a handful of times over the next 30 years
but bought gradys vhs tapes /billy incardona's vhs tapes/wining one pocket and shots moves and strategies ()and alot of accustat tapes
became a student of the game...if i couldnt play i tried to learn
last 2-3 years have a table in my house and am trying to get to where i wont embarrass myself on the table...

Last edited by lll; 10-05-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
given name...larry landsman
living now in vero beach fl
started playing aroiund 15-16 in my hometown community center
went to school at tulane in the 1970s
played in the student union and in the college bars
thought i was pretty good until
got hustled by a road player who had sympathy and took me to the sports palace...
and explained the game of one pocket to me...
after watching the likes of earl heisler/new york blackie/st louie louie/bugs rucker quickly realized there was a level of skill playing pool id never seen...
or would get to........
played only a handful of times over the next 30 years
but bought gradys vhs tapes /billy incardona's vhs tapes/wining one pocket and shots moves and startegies ()and alot of accustat tapes
became a student of the game...if i couldnt play i tried to learn
last 2-3 years have a table in my house and am trying to get to where i wont embarrass myself on the table...
Did you go to the tournament in Vero Beach last week. Ted Harris was there and won. He is a pretty good one pocket player, about my speed.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
Did you go to the tournament in Vero Beach last week. Ted Harris was there and won. He is a pretty good one pocket player, about my speed.
if there was a tournament in vero it wasnt at my home room cunninghams
Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Verified Member

Mike Spontak South Jersey
Age 73
Called "The Teach" for obvious reasons
Taught school at Audubon High School in NJ home of Ravens QB Joe Flacco
Played in Dixies and Jerry's, Cherry Hill Billiards, Emerald City, Boulevard, and Tacony
Billiards.
Played all nineball until my late 40's then started one pocket. Learned enough
To get in trouble. Really sorry I didn't learn it earlier.
Not a very good player just a "Ham and egger".

Last edited by Mike; 10-05-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Verified Member

I first began playing pool in 1967 at the age of 15. I had a friend and neighbor who was a local professional player who taught the basics. From there left me to sink or swim in the shark tank. The Washington D.C. area was full of One Pocket players. As a young man I always had a profound interest in strategic games. I had learned how to play chess at the age of six, and even then I was aware that what had drawn me to that game was the cat and mouse side to the game. I recognized that One Pocket had the same appeal but with a few added prerequisites; among these were, talent, ability, and courage under fire. I endeavored to become as good a player as those who in my small corner of the world I saw as the best at the game. I often wonder if I would have gravitated to pool in such a magnetic way had I not first encountered One Pocket.

Across the Potomac River from my home town was Bill Staton’s Jack and Jill’s Cue Club. I was lucky in that I lived in an area of the Country where the best players in the world congregated on a regular basis for the biggest tournaments in the world. This is really where I got my education. I lost several jobs because of the magnetic appeal Jack and Jill cue club had on me.

I succeeded in winning many regional events and a couple State championships in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s. Some of them were nine ball events, others One Pocket. I once played Cornbread Red in Richmend, Va. And beat him the first five games of One Pocket for a C note a game. He came back and got even before the end of the night. That was in '89 or '90 I believe. I had just won the State Open Nine Ball Championship. Red could really play!
There was so much action in the Baltimore and Washington area for One Pocket I never found a need to travel great distances for a game so it wasn't until the mid '90s that I truly went on the road.

In ’93 I won the second of the two Strawberry International One Pocket events beating Grady, Dave Bollman, Cliff Joyner, and Jose Parica in the finals. That final match was a race to five and I broke a ball in four times and ran eight and out the first three of those times. Anyone who thinks there is no way to practice the break in such a way so as to improve your percentages of this is mistaken. I did just that before the tournament began and I was making balls on the break in every match I played, and on a different table each time.

I took my game on the road in ’96. I just got in the car and took-off. I crossed the Country playing anyone who happened to be ready to play and I beat them all. I was a little lucky not to have run into guys like Efren but I would have played him anyway. That’s how I learned in the first place, by playing better players.

I played in the first six DCC One Pocket events and finished well into the cheese the last four times. I gave up on the event in ’05 after finishing 7th twice in a row and I walked away with $0.00 profit from it.

Now I teach mostly in my home and have recently written a book on One Pocket which is now in the hands of the editor. Let me know if you are interested in a copy. I first started writing it for therapeutic reasons with no intention of publishing, but I got so much encouragement and from several sources that I’ve decided to have a limited number of copies printed. If those sell well enough I’ll have a second printing. We’ll see.

Last edited by Tom Wirth; 10-05-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
I first began playing pool in 1967 at the age of 15. I had a friend and neighbor who was a local professional player who taught the basics. From there left me to sink or swim in the shark tank. The Washington D. C. area was full of One Pocket players. As a young man I always had a profound interest in strategic games. I had learned how to play chess at the age of six, and even then I was aware that what had drawn me to that game was the cat and mouse side to the game. I recognized that One Pocket had the same appeal but with a few added prerequisites; among these were, talent, ability, and courage under fire. I endeavored to become as good a player as those who in my small corner of the world saw as the best at the game. I often wonder if I would have gravitated to pool in such a magnetic way had I not first encountered One Pocket.

Across the Potomac River from my home town was Bill Statonís Jack and Jillís Cue Club. I was lucky in that I lived in an area of the Country where the best players in the world congregated on a regular basis for the biggest tournaments in the world. This is really where I got my education. I lost several jobs because of the magnetic appeal Jack and Jill cue club had on me.

I succeeded in winning many regional events and a couple State championships in the late Ď80s and early Ď90s. Some of them were nine ball events others, One Pocket. I once played Cornbread Red in Richmend, Va. And beat him the first five games of One Pocket for a C note a game. He came back and got even before the end of the night. That was in 89 or 90 I believe. I had just won the State Open Nine Ball Championship. Red could play!

In í93 I won the second of the two Strawberry International One Pocket events beating Grady, Dave Bollman, Cliff Joyner, and Jose Parica in the finals. That final match was a race to five and I broke a ball in four times and ran eight and out and the first three of those times. Anyone who thinks there is no way to practice the break in such a way so as to improve your percentages of this is mistaken. I did just that before the tournament began and I was making balls on the break on every match I played and on a different table each time.

I took my game on the road in í96. I just get in the car and took-off. I crossed the Country playing anyone who happened to be ready to play and I beat them all. I was a little lucky not to have run into guys like Efren but I would have played him anyway. Thatís how I learned in the first place, by playing better players.

I played in the first six DCC One Pocket events and finished well into the cheese the last four times. I gave up on the event in í05 after finishing 7th twice in a row and I walked away with $0.00 profit from it.

Now I teach mostly in my home and have recently written a book on One Pocket which is now in the hands of the editor. Let me know if you are interested in a copy. I first started writing it for therapeutic reasons with no intention of publishing, but I got so much encouragement that Iíve decided to have a limited number of copies printed. If those sell well enough Iíll have a second printing. Weíll see.
Tom,
Thanks for this. Count me in on your book when it comes out. You are definitely right about one thing...Red could play. That seemed to be is favorite trick. Staying and getting the cheese. I bet I know who gave you the most encouragement for your book. His name begins with L and ends with Y. Right?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Verified Member

Default Your true identity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Mike Spontak South Jersey

Age 73

Called "The Teach" for obvious reasons

Taught school at Audubon High School in NJ home of Ravens QB Joe Flacco

Played in Dixies and Jerry's, Cherry Hill Billiards, Emerald City, and Tacony

Billiards.

Played all nineball until my late 40's then started one pocket. Learned enough

To get in trouble. Really sorry I didn't learn it earlier.

Not a very good player just a "Ham and egger".

Mike did we ever play at Tacony?

Mitch.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Verified Member

Default Your true identity

What a great thread! Thanks Petie. Love learning more about all of you guys.

For me- Name is Mitch Brown. 43, Born and raised in Philly about 1/2 hour from the city. Never left but for a few years in college at Pitt, where I spent most of my time in the student union playing 9 ball. Started playing pool at 15. Loved 9 ball, and swore I would never play one pocket. Always loved multi rail banks though. That led me to get into 3 cushion about 8 years ago. For about a year and a half that is all I played. Then I played a guy in 1p and got killed, but loved it. So for the past 6 years I have been obsessed with one pocket. Lot of good 1p in my area and action, and I love to be in it. I'm usually a 20-30 a game guy but will bet it up depending on my finances lol. I'm no killer like many here but I get such a thrill from this game that I know I'll be playing it for a long time!