Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Verified Member

Default More History

NIT here to try and give the other side of the story since people want to talk about stuff they do not know about.

First and foremost me and Col. Bille met as I was learning this great game from the late "GREAT" Mike Surber even though me and Mike did not gamble, Billy walks into the pool room having never played 1 hole and wants to play 9/7, and wants to gamble, 5 years later he is getting 11/7 and still is not winning. Bille has the same problem I have, he loves the game but can't gamble well at it, and maybe that is why we have become friends and not opponents, although we gamble from $10 to $20 a game in are sessions it is only to make both of us take our time at the table seriously, and not just half ass or attempt to improve at the game of one pocket. I'm nowhere good enough to be a teacher, but I can and "HAVE" helped Col. Bille improve to where before he would go to the derby and lose money, now when he goes he wins money, and that is how I judge improvement because, that is all I know(not saying that is the right way). In a sense he has been paying for lessons, which he has never complained about since we been playing.

As far as me I do not have and never will have the bankroll to chance, and Bille and many others have helped me in that regard weather it be staking me, loaning me, or even losing to me so I can gamble or play tournaments, and I'm forever grateful to Bille and the countless others for that.

As for the game he asked yalls opinion on, on paper scenario is about all yalls opinion is good for. Let me give yall an example about 2 or 3 years ago Bille would shoot the offensive version of the 2 balls on the spot, as I prefer to play the 96.342% safe shot of cutting both balls to my side and placing the cue ball by his pocket, which allows us more innings in the game because we can not hit the offensive shot accurately on a consistent basis. Yall tell him to shoot at it, ask him how may times he lost the game on it before he opted to play the less aggressive shot. Then ask how many times I have sold out playing the safe shot. Point being it is more about what you can do than what you are supposed to be able to do.

On to spot in question Bille can't control his cue ball consistently, also when put into a pickle he opts to shoot at his hole rather than at least attempt to search out a doable safe or even a band ad shot like taking a fool or leaving me on the rail, jacked up or long. Even with those faults I still don't know why he is not winning at 11/7, after ever session I try to tell Bille what I think he did wrong and he tries hard to attempt to change his ways, but eventually he works his way back to the mistakes that let me hang around and get the win. I would hope that Bille would tell you that the only reason he is not winning is himself. I have quit playing pool all but at his house for over 2 years now and I feel like my game has gotten weaker, as his has improved. Some of are games are lasting over an hour, so it is not like we are way off on the spot, BUTTTTTT these factors mean more than what the paper says we should adjust to,1) he don't play as good against me as he does others, 2) when he plays others they are even with him so shooting the wrong shots does not cost him as his opponent is also doing it, 3) him going to 6 allows him to continue to shoot at the wrong shots and now win more games giving him a false sense of accomplishment. Meaning you are not always learning just because you are winning. Also I have never been able to hold decent players to low numbers because I don't and never have played at that level. I think if he plays the game right like he has on me before the 11/7 game is not right the other way.

Yes I may be the better player between us, but letting him go to 6 is night and day compared to a game like 12/7 or even 13/8, for our level of players we are.

Me. "Sure"
Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
ay.

Yes I may be the better player between us, but letting him go to 6 is night and day compared to a game like 12/7 or even 13/8, for our level of players we are.
12/7 might be a doable adjustment. 13/8 probably wouldn't work.
Rod.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Verified Member

Default I don't disagree

I don't disagree with what was said... I beat myself more than he beats me... and yes I know I have gotten better...
I truly believe the reason I win against others, is I am so frustrated with getting beat, I look at them as opportunities to win...

think about playing for 3 hours, losing 5 straight games, and never getting a shot or chance to reverse the game...don't care what the spot is... just a lock down game... happens over and over...

I am through bitching...or whining...whatever

Jason is a good guy, if I ever get to his level, the rest of you need to worry...

B
Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgcp View Post
I don't disagree with what was said... I beat myself more than he beats me... and yes I know I have gotten better...
I truly believe the reason I win against others, is I am so frustrated with getting beat, I look at them as opportunities to win...

think about playing for 3 hours, losing 5 straight games, and never getting a shot or chance to reverse the game...don't care what the spot is... just a lock down game... happens over and over...

I am through bitching...or whining...whatever

Jason is a good guy, if I ever get to his level, the rest of you need to worry...

B
Billie; Now you can just imagine that kind of stifling play by Artie! Only 10 fold!
Old 03-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Verified Member

[QUOTE=1 HOLE NUT;149177]NIT here to try and give the other side of the story since people want to talk about stuff they do not know about.

As far as me I do not have and never will have the bankroll to chance, and Bille and many others have helped me in that regard weather it be staking me, loaning me, or even losing to me so I can gamble or etc etc etc

Why do you make such negative pessimistic statements? You don't know what the future holds. It appears that you are giving folks the impression that you are some degenerate derelict pool room bum. You could win the next powerball, so don't say never. Who knows what the next five dollar game will bring. I remember being in a room one time with a badly tattered army field jacket on and a Clemson baseball cap-(I wasn't really a Clemson fan) A guy asked me to play some nine ball for a dollar a game. I had on a shoulder strap with a 38 snub nose S&W in there and had twenty two thousand dollars on me, and didn't really feel like fooling with him, but I said sure, why not? Later he decided to raise it and I started blasting at the nine every chance I got. He said that he was just going to quit if I kept doing that, so I quit doing that. Later he decided to raise it again and I ended up making like $580 off that gentleman and we even played again another time. You can guess the outcome of that session, also. Ask Artie about some games that he started out at for small change. How do you play with Rob Melrose and or Richie Richeson???

ps. Bille has broken your hold on him now. He is going to waffle your ass the next time, even if you go back to that other spot. He he he..
Old 03-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Verified Member

Nit great reply.

Everyone has probably played and often beat someone giving a spot.Change that spot and get run over.Maybe the dog gets brave,maybe the lion gets nervous.

It is dbl tough to gamble with someone who wont lose what you will lose.Whether they can or cant afford it.

Sounds like you two may need to reasses what you are really playing for?
One of you thinks he is "giving" lessons,however the other isn"t sure he is
getting a "good" lesson.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Verified Member

Default What we are playing 4????

We are both playing for different reasons, but we are both clear and up front with all of them. One reason I am trying to help Bille improve his game to the same level that I was in before I quit playing, yall should all know how hard it is to improve by a ball much less balls, although I think he has improved a lot, he still has a long way to go, and if he listens to me and applies what I show him with what I do to him in are sessions sooner or later he will get to as far as I can take him.

We have talked many of times about all aspect of our situation, and yes the money has come up, he knows that he can't win what he has lost, but hopefully he feels as the knowledge he is gaining (at his own speed) offsets the money that he may be otherwise be losing to someone who could care less if he improves or not. I know he wants to beat me, and he feels it when he loses, but that is what I think makes you try your hardest to shoot the right shots. I told him(3 years ago) to record are sessions so he can look back on why he let me do what I do to him, just like a football team would watch film on there next opponents, he has not bought a video recorder yet, I feel if he just does what I do to him(safety's, offence with defensive cue ball, he will get better, I know that there are many shoots he can't not execute like me, but until he tries them till he can, he will never get to my level, which is not as far away as the 11/7 spot my reflects.

Me. "Sure"
Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Verified Member

Good response.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:26 AM
Verified Member

Yes, good exchange here. I do know sometimes overcoming the "guy" who teaches you can take a lot of time but Billi is a learner, and not afraid to go after improvement so it may not be long before....
Old 03-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Verified Member

One hole nut,

Just wanted to say my initial response to Billi was only as a rib at him, not knowing you or who you are. I don't generally fling insults at someone I don't know and my NIT remark was not directed at you.

However, you did mention Mike Surber. Was wondering if you or Doc or anyone else has heard of any new developments in that murder case? It would seem, after all this time, someone would have cropped up in the investigation.

Billi, If you'll come up here to East Alabama your game will go up just because you don't have to deal with those dripping wet tables. :-)