One Pocket tournament New Format?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Well, I did mention this awhile back http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42 and I got some great feedback

Now, I am in the process of finalizing the formats. I have the added and only need to nail down a date and put out the fliers.

Instead of having a 16 player round robin, which would mean 15 matches played over 2 days. I have decided to have two groups of 8 players for 7 matches over 2 days. The top two players from each bracket will play a single elimination format for the top 4 places.

The format is based on a suggestion from NH Steve's interview with Ronnie Allen. Matches are won on Ball count, not games won. The match will be won by the first player to pocket 20 balls. The player that is behind when the 15th ball is made, gets to break. If a 3rd rack is necessary, the player that is behind still gets the break. At anytime during the tournament, I will be able to post the exact leader(s).

Round Robin for the two groups of 8 players. Seven matches 4 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday.

Added money will either be $1000 or $1500. Entry fee will be either $100 or $150. In any case, with a field of 16, 1st place will be at least $1000 or as high as $1800. The LAST place will be as low as $300 and as high as $400.

Comments? suggestions?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
SactownTom said:
Well, I did mention this awhile back http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42 and I got some great feedback

Now, I am in the process of finalizing the formats. I have the added and only need to nail down a date and put out the fliers.

Instead of having a 16 player round robin, which would mean 15 matches played over 2 days. I have decided to have two groups of 8 players for 7 matches over 2 days. The top two players from each bracket will play a single elimination format for the top 4 places.

The format is based on a suggestion from NH Steve's interview with Ronnie Allen. Matches are won on Ball count, not games won. The match will be won by the first player to pocket 20 balls. The player that is behind when the 15th ball is made, gets to break. If a 3rd rack is necessary, the player that is behind still gets the break. At anytime during the tournament, I will be able to post the exact leader(s).

Round Robin for the two groups of 8 players. Seven matches 4 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday.

Added money will either be $1000 or $1500. Entry fee will be either $100 or $150. In any case, with a field of 16, 1st place will be at least $1000 or as high as $1800. The LAST place will be as low as $300 and as high as $400.

Comments? suggestions?
Sounds great, Tom -- when you get the dates, let us know.
When you say "last place", I assume you mean last of the four finalists, right :) ?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
SactownTom said:

Comments? suggestions?

What's the logic on who gets to break? Meself, I'd be in favor of alternating breaks.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:
Matches are won on Ball count, not games won. The match will be won by the first player to pocket 20 balls. ?

Sounds great, Tom. I'm wondering how the score would be kept? You couldn't keep balls off the table after the first rack. Most rooms don't have beads or score balls to 20. Coins under the table wouldn't work. Would each match have to have a scorer? I suppose you'd have to have pencil and paper beside each table... :confused:

Doc

1pRoscoe

Verified Member
Sounds awesome!

Now all you need to do is bring the tourney to Texas!

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
lfigueroa said:
What's the logic on who gets to break? Meself, I'd be in favor of alternating breaks.

Lou,
Lag for opening break.

Since it is a race to 20 pocketed ball, after the first 15 balls have been pocketed, a re-rack is needed to continue the game. I can't see how the score could be tied after the first 15 balls are pocketed. So, the SECOND rack would belong to the player that is behind in the score.

Examples;

after 15 balls pocketed:
Player A has 8 Player B has 7 = 15 Player B breaks
Player A has 9 Player B has 6 = 15
10-5
11-4
and so on. WHO ever is ahead in the ball count gives up the break for the second rack.

There could be a need for a 3rd rack and the same rules would apply.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
gulfportdoc said:
Sounds great, Tom. I'm wondering how the score would be kept? You couldn't keep balls off the table after the first rack. Most rooms don't have beads or score balls to 20. Coins under the table wouldn't work. Would each match have to have a scorer? I suppose you'd have to have pencil and paper beside each table... :confused:

Doc

Doc, (good question, I love this type of feedback, makes me think)

Pencil and paper would be provided, if needed, but, we also have scoring balls above the tournament tables, they go to 10, but they can be used.

I will have to make sure all the players are aware they are responsible for keeping track of their score. If they need a score keeper, I am sure I can find a volunteer.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
SactownTom said:
If they need a score keeper, I am sure I can find a volunteer.

I will be happy to volunteer, Tom. Of course I will need to be provided first class round trip airfare and a suite at a 5 star hotel. :D

Oh, I will be willing to supply my own paper and pencil, uh, do you have a sharpener?

Later, Pel

Last edited:

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
After rack #1 there can NOT be a tie.
However, after the 2nd rack there COULD be a 15/15 tie. In this case, the next break should probably be decided by another lag.

Troy
SactownTom said:
Lou,
Lag for opening break.

Since it is a race to 20 pocketed ball, after the first 15 balls have been pocketed, a re-rack is needed to continue the game. I can't see how the score could be tied after the first 15 balls are pocketed. So, the SECOND rack would belong to the player that is behind in the score.

Examples;

after 15 balls pocketed:
Player A has 8 Player B has 7 = 15 Player B breaks
Player A has 9 Player B has 6 = 15
10-5
11-4
and so on. WHO ever is ahead in the ball count gives up the break for the second rack.

There could be a need for a 3rd rack and the same rules would apply.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Troy said:
After rack #1 there can NOT be a tie.
However, after the 2nd rack there COULD be a 15/15 tie. In this case, the next break should probably be decided by another lag.

Troy

AGREED. Good point Troy

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Maybe lag for every break?

Maybe lag for every break?

If it is 7-7 and I am shooting and am breaking good I think I would make the last ball in opponents pocket so I can break. Food for thought.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Thank you suki, always making me think.. I like your thoughts.

I like your idea, and your reasoning.

suki said:
If it is 7-7 and I am shooting and am breaking good I think I would make the last ball in opponents pocket so I can break. Food for thought.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
suki said:

Well, this the kind of stuff that I had in mind when I asked. I think the break sequence should be predetermined.

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
You really ARE a sly ol' dog Mr. C... :)

Troy
suki said:

yobagua

Jamboree

Jamboree

Hi Tom
Is there going to be a Winter Jamboree at Hardtimes before Reno this year? It is one of the best tournaments on the west coast.