No opinions?!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Scott Frost was giving Billy Incardona 10-8, the breaks, and stipulation that after he broke, Billy could lift any ball and place it on the footspot.

Are there no opinions as to what an equivalent handicap would be? 10-6/11-6?

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
Scott Frost was giving Billy Incardona 10-8, the breaks, and stipulation that after he broke, Billy could lift any ball and place it on the footspot.

Are there no opinions as to what an equivalent handicap would be? 10-6/11-6?

Doc

Imo Doc, I don't think it's quite that strong...I think it's more equivalent to 11-7.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
Imo Doc, I don't think it's quite that strong...I think it's more equivalent to 11-7.
Good choice, Ghost. I presume that Billy considered the spot to be more advantageous than 11-7, simply because he beat Joyner last year with that spot, and he may have figured to need more weight against a red hot Frost.

10-8 isn't that much. But the break is anywhere between 1 to 2 balls; perhaps only one ball, considering that a player of Frost's caliber follows each of Billy's breaks.

However, lifting and spotting a ball after the break might be the equivalent of a ball, since you'd never have to worry about leaving your opponent a relatively easy bank, or maybe even a smackeroo bank into the stack to reverse the break.

I wouldn't be surprised if they locked horns again this week in Mobile, although Billy's not going to stick with a loser for very long. Perhaps we can get a report from someone over there. Maybe even Billy would share some of his thinking with when he gets back home.

Anyway, it's an interesting proposition. I think I'll let you give me that spot either in Gulfport, or at DCC. It's probably a loser for me, but I know that a player of your integrity would let me adjust...:)

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
I think I'll let you give me that spot either in Gulfport, or at DCC. It's probably a loser for me, but I know that a player of your integrity would let me adjust...:)

Doc

Doc, since I'm always having predatory guys like you:eek: trying to take advantage of me and get me in a bad game:( ....I keep a copy of this response in my word file as an answer....."Sure Doc, no problem, you can have the spot that you asked for, and I'll take 3 to 1 on the money".....:D

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
gulfportdoc said:
Good choice, Ghost. I presume that Billy considered the spot to be more advantageous than 11-7, simply because he beat Joyner last year with that spot, and he may have figured to need more weight against a red hot Frost.

10-8 isn't that much. But the break is anywhere between 1 to 2 balls; perhaps only one ball, considering that a player of Frost's caliber follows each of Billy's breaks.

However, lifting and spotting a ball after the break might be the equivalent of a ball, since you'd never have to worry about leaving your opponent a relatively easy bank, or maybe even a smackeroo bank into the stack to reverse the break.

I wouldn't be surprised if they locked horns again this week in Mobile, although Billy's not going to stick with a loser for very long. Perhaps we can get a report from someone over there. Maybe even Billy would share some of his thinking with when he gets back home.

Anyway, it's an interesting proposition. I think I'll let you give me that spot either in Gulfport, or at DCC. It's probably a loser for me, but I know that a player of your integrity would let me adjust...:)

Doc

hey doc ------ I spent 30 minutes on my report from Mobile and hit the submit button and BOOM! It was gone. I should have taken your advice about saving it to something else.

I'll reort later today

george

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Doc, you can be much more aggressive on the break, making a hard thin hit on the head ball or even missing it and either making a ball in your pocket or jawing one, because you can pick up the corner ball that often pops out on the break on your opponents side.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
From Mobile

From Mobile

From Mobile
Hey Doc---Sorry for the delay.

I got roped into an all night match Sunday night. An old friend from the 70's who I only see once a year at this tournament challenged me to another race to 4 for $300. The same as last year. He won again. So we made an adjustment and raced to 5 for $500 and I came out on top. I was not in the best of shape as my sciatic nerve was shooting with pain all night.

Anyway, Scott ended up 10 or 11 games ahead of Billy with the same 10 to 8 with the pick/move one ball to the spot after the break. At $400 a game he did all right but did not play again.

Ricky Byrd and Scott matched up 11 to 7 for $700 a game sunday night. After a few hours Billy was down 2 games . Byrd says: "I'm tired. Let's continue tomorrow. Just forget the 2 games." .............. Vintage Ricky.

Monday evening they resumed with the same spot 11 to 7 and a race to 4 ahead for $3000. About 3 hours later Billy came out on top.

Scott, unable to get a game himself pitted his buddy Gus .........? (kind of puerto Rican looking guy) to play Eddie Brown for $200 a game. Eddie came out 4 or 5 games ahead.

Sqirrel stayed in action with various locals and usually came out a winner. Gosh! He is impressive for 80 years old. Such a nice, sweet stroke.

i think there was some more but I can't remember........sorry!

george

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
correction

correction

In my fourth paragraph I meant Ricky
byrd and Billy Incardona--------not Ricky and Scott.

Also we never got to see a match between Cliff and Scott.

By the way: Scott told me that he would also play anyone in the world 1 pocket for up to 20,000 and added "excluding Efren".

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks for the reports, George!! I figured Billy would eventually get into Ricky's shorts. At least he recouped some of the sand from his losses to Frost (Unless of course there was something going on behind the scenes). Also, glad you came out on top!

Talk with you soon~ Doc